Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds in winter time

Options
  • 06-11-2006 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

hello all,

my lawn is full of weeds but when i asked in Woodies the guy said that there's not any point in putting down weed killer now as the winter cold will get them and that you have to have a few days (5?) dry weather after putting it down for it to be effective.

what can i do? the weeds are taking over the lawn!

any recommendations for a weed killing agent?

thanks,

k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Any weedkiller I ever used had an intruction of some kind on the back stating only to use from spring to autumn. No idea why, but I'm guessing it's something to with the fact that plants growth slows down considerably during the winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

Hi there,

The weedkillers you buy for killing lawn weeds will only work if the weeds are actively growing, and in the winter months the growth may stop. If you're weeds are still growing then do apply the lawn weedkiller, it may take longer to work but aslong as the weeds are still growing it will kill them.

After using apply a Winter lawn feed to thicken the lawn out again and to keep it a good green colour for the winter.

P.S.

A small tip for you - if the growth is slow then mix a bit of miracle gro or tomato fertilser in with your weedkiller and this will encourage the weeds to grow a bit quicker!

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

thanks for that gareth

what weedkiller would you recommend? one that you mix in water in a watering can or one that you spray directly onto the weed itself?

there are alot of weeds on the lawn so the latter is probably not practical.

are there any other types of weedkiller?

thanks again,

k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use Verdone - I mix it into the watering can. Slow and labourious but it works. Verdone kills most weeds - often a second application is required some weeks after the first.

Damn weeds :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

thanks ct. will try that so.

k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement