Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ownership of Modem

Options
  • 06-11-2006 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing BB provider from DigiWeb to BTIreland, been with digiweb nearly a year and been happy just parents want to change phone comapnys so mite as well turf in free broadband for myself while Im at it.

It says on Bt site you need to provide your own modem, can I use my current digiweb one (zyxel prestige 600) or do I in fact have to return this to Digiweb when Im finishing my contract with them? It was advertised as "free modem" at the time. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cupthehand wrote:
    Thinking of changing BB provider from DigiWeb to BTIreland, been with digiweb nearly a year and been happy just parents want to change phone comapnys so mite as well turf in free broadband for myself while Im at it.

It says on Bt site you need to provide your own modem, can I use my current digiweb one (zyxel prestige 600) or do I in fact have to return this to Digiweb when Im finishing my contract with them? It was advertised as "free modem" at the time. Any help would be appreciated!

Why not ring Digiweb and ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Typically if you finish with a service provider and the original contract time period has passed you keep the modem. If however you cancelled within the contract period you return the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

When initially signing up with BT i was told that the modem remains their property , however i changed to smart and BT never looked for the old one back..... they can have the thing if they want it though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Irish Broadband asked for mine back (even though I was an early adopter who actually forked out €99 for the stupid barely-working thing).

I argued the point on principle - just for their sheer cheek considering (a) I'd paid for it and (b) their network was so bad and (c) they'd cheekily used my credit card details (given to them to pay for the modem) to bill monthly for the subscription, instead of using direct debit or billing me; and I then gave in saying "well, if you want it back, come get it".

That was about 6 months ago, and no-one's arrived yet; guess there isn't much demand for Ripwave....word must've gotten out about the sub-modem speeds and dropped connections.

They can still have it back, though - it's not connected (so it's slightly less useful than before) but since it's proprietary, it's SFA good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cupthehand wrote:

Check the T's&C's you signed up to but chances are Digiweb own it and it needs to be returned. "Free Modem" usually means it's supplied free of charge but remains their property.
    BT will supply you with a 'free' modem to be used for the duration of your contract so you don't "have to" provide your own modem. They will however waive the €40 euro connection charge if you have your own modem and they don't have to supply one. They also offer free connection if you sign up online.
    BTW, if you do get to keep the Digiweb modem it'll work fine on BT BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I moved house recently - Digiweb told me I had to cancel my existing (more than 12 months old) contract, return the modem and put in a fresh DSL order at my new address. They blamed Eircom for having to do this, which is probably accurate...
    Both old and new addresses connect to the same exchange but I still couldn't transfer my DSL I had to cancel and re-order.
    Bit of a palaver but the downtime was only a week or so and went unnoticed in the general chaos of the move :D I now have a modem which takes up half the space on my desk and is capable of ADSL2+ if it ever arrives in this country.
    So yes your provider will probably want the modem back, best to ask them. I've been with Digiweb for about 3 years now and the service has been excellent throughout, if I was in your position I wouldn't switch from a provider I was happy with just for the sake of it, especially given all the horror stories in relation to BT ordering and billing

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Will I have to pay to send it back or will i go down the route, if you want it come and get it.

cupthehand wrote:
    Will I have to pay to send it back or will i go down the route, if you want it come and get it.

For God's sake will you send the thing back if thats what you signed up for in the Terms and Conditions?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

cupthehand wrote:
    Like I said, I went down the second after being told by IBB that they wanted it back (despite me paying for it) and there's no sign of them since....

No point paying postage or a courier if you don't have to - let them come collect it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I assume digiweb will stick "modem charge" on a phonebill a couple of months down the line if they don't get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

What's the story with the eircom wifi modems sold in PC WORLD for 30 EUR? I suppose they are sponsored by EIRCOM as 30EUR looks a bit to cheap for a wifi DSL modem router. Do they belong to Eircom (is a contract with them requested?)?
    Just asking, because I got one and I use it for BT BB and had to give my phone number to the guy at the checkout when buying it and stupid me gave my real land line number...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What's the story with the eircom wifi modems sold in PC WORLD for 30 EUR? I suppose they are sponsored by EIRCOM as 30EUR looks a bit to cheap for a wifi DSL modem router. Do they belong to Eircom (is a contract with them requested?)?
    I only paid €24.99 in PC World for mine :D , see here . There is no contract and its yours to keep.
    Just asking, because I got one and I use it for BT BB and had to give my phone number to the guy at the checkout when buying it and stupid me gave my real land line number...
    You will be slammed so . You can give any phone number you want to them .

Damn fine wireless dsl modem for €24.99 I say, all you have to do is insert the Digiweb username and password and it works perfectly . Full instructions here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Have eircom suddenly gone generous or had too much aussy bear?

or it was just 24.99 - can't remember. it's now more then one month ago. dirty cheap anyway!

Filthy cheap MMM and thank you for reminding me that I should have put a heads up in Bargain Alerts before now.

I have bought at least 5 of the beggars for various people who found themselves needing something with significantly more functionality than a single port Zyzel <cough> for example :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Filthy cheap MMM and thank you for reminding me that I should have put a heads up in Bargain Alerts before now.

I have bought at least 5 of the beggars for various people who found themselves needing something with significantly more functionality than a single port Zyzel <cough> for example :D
    What model is it Sponge? 3347NWG (Blue) or the 2247NWG (Silver new model)?

kaizersoze wrote:
    the 2247NWG (Silver new model)?

Tis that model KS and with EIRCOM embossed in big letters on top to frighten your babies .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Tis that model KS and with EIRCOM embossed in big letters on top to frighten your babies .

Has there not been reports of these overheating though?

silver with big EIRCOM letters embossed (it's hidden behind the phone table anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chapod21

i just switched from digiweb to utv. digiweb didn't ask for the modem back

• Advertisement
Advertisement