Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presenters I do not like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Liam Byrne wrote:

Yes, there are accents that grate on me too, but my priorities would be
    1) Presenter's Ability
    2) Presenter's Style
    3) Programme Content
    4) Programme Style
    5) Presenter's Accent

and with 3 of those related to the presenter, we all know what Meatloaf once said.........

I agree with the above criteria. I can often bear a bad accent if the show is half decent. Ian Dempsey's radio voice is something I never really liked, and his style is often very scripted. However, his music is fairly good and I love Gift Grub, so overall his show is OK with me.

On the other hand, I cannot stand Orla Barry on Newstalk - suprised no one has mentioned her yet. I often arrive to work about 10 minutes late, and rather than switch stations I bear her for those 10 minutes after 9am. My God, she drives me crazy!

1) Presenter's Ability

Poor. Suffers from a 'Gay Byrne' complex, without having anywhere near his ability. Witness her 'take' on the news first thing in the morning, her constant urgings to 'give us a buzz' and her reference to herself in the third person / the name of the show. A good example was 'I am a tired little Orla Barry today', occassionally calling her show 'the OB show' (like 'GB') and the proper show name itself - 'Life with Orla Barry'.

2) Presenter's Style

The show policy is more 'the Life of Orla Barry' than 'Life with ...'. She has no interest in any mens issue, for example; L-drivers are always treated very sympathetically; the inequity of property prices is a regular topic (as she doesn't own the sort of property a girl of her profile should).

3) Programme Content

"Pro-Feminist" is the editorial policy here. If there are less than two guests, they will be female. If there are more than two, there will be a male voice, but this will always be outnumbered by the females, or will be representing womens rights in some way.

Everything has to be compared to, and validated by the presenters experience of life. Otherwise it would not be on the show, stupid.

4) Programme Style

Tabloid. No need for research, no need for analysis. Just pick a headline, run it through the life experience of 'OB' and output it. Items are prioritised in terms of recency and impact on the presenters life. Thus, something like the proposed 9% rise in commuter fares will be presented as an outragous increase in the occassional train fare to Cork / a legitimate reason for everyone to drive. A bank holiday experience at Dublin Airport becomes a call for heads, etc. A Ryanair flight becomes a moan about service, notwithstanding the fact the presenter got the flights for half-nothing, etc.

5) Presenter's Accent

Bearable, I guess, when you listen first. But as it embodies the connotations above, it instantly drives me bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jaysus:eek:

A big boil lanced there:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yeah, it was therapeutic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Orla Barry Show is the audio version of Bella, Best, Take a Break and all those other tatty looking mags that occupy the middle shelves and lives of middle Irelands female population.

I would imagine the listening demographic is 75% female and men who can't reach the radio dial for some reason.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Orla Barry won some radio prize and had many column inches devoted to her about a year ago. It seems to have completely gone to her head. She believes her own hype and seems to think that her show is a platform for giving us all her take on life.

Other appalling presenters on Newstalk: Roisin Ingle and Brenda Power.

Over at Montrose, I cannot abide Tubridy - he is just a silly silly man. A sideshow bob who never grew to absorb the spotlight. Ditto for Des Cahill whenever he steps out of sport.

I have just started listening to morning Ireland again as the hi-jinks on newstalk jars with me too much for that hour. It is a different voice every couple of seconds, recorded snippets of interviews, the presenter who you assumed was taking a piss while the co-presenter is interviewing someone suddenly cuts accross the interviewee from nowhere.
    Morning Ireland will probably never reach the perfection of the old Hanly and Crowley days, but it is at least reasonably professional.

Just listening to Ray Stubbs chairing 6-0-6 on FiveLive, Christ he is crap.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Greenman wrote:
    Need to get this off my chest.

I listen to Morning Ireland alot but cringe when I hear Aine Lawlor not sure if anyone feels the same way?
    I simply loathe her . She is one of the most unprofessional presenters I ever heard with her long long pointless speeches masquerading as "questions" .

Thank God there is a gift grub or an RnaG report on instead . Bye Aine.
    On Five Seven Live or whatever they call it well I'm not keen on Fergal Sweeney never understood how he was tolerated on Five Live.

Fergal is a sort of roving fluff but I blame the producer for a lot of what he covers .PLEASE !! Bring back Rachel, all yer other wan Mary seems to say is 'now we are going to the four courts' . She is a sort of court report link announcer not a presenter. She is OK as a reporter but cannot present in my opinion.

I always liked Rachel though and now I listen to Matt Cooper instead .

I do like Pat Kenny on the radio, I think he is an excellent serious radio presenter ..if not the very best in his field...and cannot stand him on telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Barry O'Neill, so annoying.

I gave Orla Barry a whirl this morning.

I felt like I'd been 12 rounds with Joe Frazier-the woman literally jumps out the tranny at ya.I wouldnt be able for that on a regular basis,not in the morning anyway and certainly not with a big Post Horn head on you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I simply loathe her . She is one of the most unprofessional presenters I ever heard with her long long pointless speeches masquerading as "questions" .

Thank God there is a gift grub or an RnaG report on instead . Bye Aine.

Fergal is a sort of roving fluff but I blame the producer for a lot of what he covers .PLEASE !! Bring back Rachel, all yer other wan Mary seems to say is 'now we are going to the four courts' . She is a sort of court report link announcer not a presenter. She is OK as a reporter but cannot present in my opinion.

I always liked Rachel though and now I listen to Matt Cooper instead .

I do like Pat Kenny on the radio, I think he is an excellent serious radio presenter ..if not the very best in his field...and cannot stand him on telly.

Well said, agree 110%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

It can only be Derek Mooney! Surprised he's not getting more mentions.
    Was listening a week or two ago, when his show started after the news.
    He always starts his programme with some little personal observation that means nothing. For example, something like this:
    -I was driving along the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway this afternoon when I stopped at the traffic lights. Alongside my car there were some council workers cutting the grass. And just then, a beautiful aroma of freshly cut grass wafted into my car and really invigorated me. Fantastic! Welcome ... to Mooney.
    Then that awful theme tune kicks in. Derek telling us what's coming up and then "Ya wanna hear more?!"

Eh... No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I think some peoples memories of Mooney still linger with the old Wildlife show, which in itself was fine, Mooney was very good there.

But this new "magazine" show is just rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Has to be Valerie Cox who occasionally does It says in the Papers and reports on Pat Kenny. Her tendency to make every report sound like a nursery rhyme makes it impossible to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

(Hanly can be heard falling off his chair in the background laughing)
    Poor old David Hanley. Is he still ill/retired?

I can't stand George Hook. Why? He sounds like he looks. He can barely pronouce anything with the vowel 'a' in it without going 'aaaaaaaaahhhh' and sounds like a stroke-victim who's just had a half-bottle of Jameson (which for legal reasons I should state that I don't think he actually did, he just sounds like he did).

He sounds like an alcoholic, but isin't. Ironically the same can't be said of some of his other Newstalk collegues who sound sober on-air after having a bottle of whiskey for breakfast, and no, I'm not talking about Dunphy either.

Heh! He's a bit fruity alright, funny enough he's just fine when punditing the rugger. Maybe radio listening is too intimate an experience for his persona.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DMC wrote:
    I think some peoples memories of Mooney still linger with the old Wildlife show, which in itself was fine, Mooney was very good there
    'Money goes wild on one' - :eek: I thought that show was absolutely unbearable and even worse than the current one. :eek:

The thing about that programme was niche and it catered for all ages, kids and adults, and it had appeal to that audience that likes wildlife. Thats not to say that I can't stand Eanna Ni Lamhna. :D

Mooney was fine in that programme, until some bright spark thought that he'd do alright filling in for Mike Murphy on Winning Streak, etc. LE is a slippery slope, and he's still sliding, imo.

The afternoon show now, who is it for, exactly? Housewifes? Kitsch stuff?
    Aural diarrhoea. Its the radio equivalent of...
    tractslurryspreader.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Ian Dempsey.

His style comes across as a well meaning but patronising down to earth buddy, when he himself is clueless and knowing what Today FM are paying him, is far removed from the working class he so wishes to be buds with.

Things he does that pisses me off;

He went on one morning a couple of years back about how "past it" Kluivert is until Paul Collins pointed out that he's the same age as Van Niestlerooy.

He compared X Factor contestants to Bob Dylan, saying "well he can't sing and look how well he's done!"

Finally he does this thing sometimes that drives me nuts (I'm not sure why) but when telling the listener what song he just played/is about to play he reels off a line of lyric that the title is in instead of just saying the title.

eg; "and that was The Doors with "Try to run, try to hide, break on through to the other side.."

If it weren't for Gift Grub...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Poor old David Hanley. Is he still ill/retired?

I can't stand George Hook. Why? He sounds like he looks. He can barely pronouce anything with the vowel 'a' in it without going 'aaaaaaaaahhhh' and sounds like a stroke-victim who's just had a half-bottle of Jameson (which for legal reasons I should state that I don't think he actually did, he just sounds like he did).

He sounds like an alcoholic, but isin't. Ironically the same can't be said of some of his other Newstalk collegues who sound sober on-air after having a bottle of whiskey for breakfast, and no, I'm not talking about Dunphy either.

LOL!

Another one who sounds a bit verbally challanged is the fella on RTE1 (of course!) Saturday lunchtime... is it Gerard or Gerald Barry??? Definately could use a good denture technician.

Gerald Barry does the Sunday lunchtime news no? Anyway he sounds slightly drunk.

Mike.

• Advertisement

There must be a few gaps in the lower railings!!

Seems to have a few problems with the plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote:
    Gerald Barry does the Sunday lunchtime news no? Anyway he sounds slightly drunk.
    I thought he was recovering from a recent stroke?

Really? Thats would make some sense. Speech is often altered as the mouth muscles don't work as well.

Mike.

I thought he was recovering from a recent stroke?

He was ill a couple of years ago, iirc.

Someone with a cleft palate would sound similar....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

eh, no-one has mentioned marty whealen yet!! how RTÉ decided that the man they needed to fill the important position of morning anchor on their "hip", "with it" and youth orientated station 2fm should be an ex winning streak host in his 50's- 60's i dont know. It really is painfull listening. And those jingles he inisists on playing every 5 minutes.. Grr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

well i know one guy who won't be listening to today with PK on monday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

eh, no-one has mentioned marty whealen yet!! how RTÉ decided that the man they needed to fill the important position of morning anchor on their "hip", "with it" and youth orientated station 2fm should be an ex winning streak host in his 50's- 60's i dont know. It really is painfull listening. And those jingles he inisists on playing every 5 minutes.. Grr....

He makes me want to poke my eyes out with a needle...

Worst scheduling choice *ever*

2fm is dung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The woman that is standing in for Moncrief today and has done on many other days (Sophie Gorman is it??). She is awful, awful awful awful.

Scripts are ok, when you can read without tripping over every second word and especially when you can pull it off without sounding like you're reading from an encyclopedia.

It's just bad, and its a bad replacement. She is very good at reporting though ie. coming in and doing an events guide etc.

And Jerry O'Sullivan kept saying 'Dublin's Newstalk' on Sunday. I was driving through Laois and was tempted to turn it off.

With Newstalk it seems that the teething problems have taken a bit longer than expected to sort out.

George Hook reminds me of Krang from the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.. both in looks and with his voice :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

connundrum wrote:
    Scripts are ok, when you can read without tripping over every second word and especially when you can pull it off without sounding like you're reading from an encyclopedia.

That's pretty much my opinion of elgogan...

I switched Sophie Gorman off and listened to John Kelly on Lyric FM - soothing! She, on the other hand should be allowed near a mic ever again.

Mike.

• Advertisement

No less a personality than Áine lawlor of the original post was on Morning Ireland today and was asking simple relevant questions and then waiting politely for the interviewee to answer :eek: WTF . I nearly crashed me car in shock :eek: .

Somebody in rte must be reading this thread and sending severe warnings as to their behaviour to the radiophonic delinquents but in Áines case this good behaviour will simply not lasht I tell ye. Áine at this stage is by way of a token woman on Morning Ireland and that is not a good reason to keep her when there are plenty of quality serious women journalists out there who could easily handle the gig.

Give Rachel English or Olivia O Leary the gig and get rid of her please ( or Rachel AND Olivia , why not) . She wrecks my day if I have to listen to the horror that is a normal Áine 'interview' whereas Rachel and Olivia know how to interview properly and do so with the utmost aplomb .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Give Rachel English or Olivia O Leary the gig and get rid of her please ( or Rachel AND Olivia , why not) . She wrecks my day if I have to listen to the horror that is a normal Áine 'interview' whereas Rachel and Olivia know how to interview properly and do so with the utmost aplomb .

Man after my own heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

mike65 wrote:
    She, on the other hand should be allowed near a mic ever again.

Mike.

ffs. She's covering for Orla Barry now.. not that I listened to Orla Barry in the 1st place, but definitely not listening now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi,

Who do I have to shag to get Derek Mooney fired*?

Much Obliged,
    Tbh.

I say fired. That's at a minimum obviously.

You don't have to shag anyone... just do as I do,switch off/to another station/go upstairs and take a dump.

If enough people do that maybe,juuuust maybe,some open toed sandal dude with a wispy beard out in Montrose will realise that Mooney cannot carry a two hour show.

If his main prop is B Donohue shouting continously in a hoarse voice with some other assinine challenge from some boghole, well surely @ 158 euro a pop for a licence,the long suffering listeners will tell him and her to take a hike.

It is the worst load of khraap I ever had the misfortune to tune into.

Mooneys demographic is sort of over 50 and at home all day (3-5 mon-fri in the afternoons) , would that explain some of it ????

I don't normally hear him at all but I did not think the few bits I heard were really bad TBH. The alternative is (it was his slot) Brendan Balfe who invariably reminds me of the 1980s in Ireland, nuff said :p

RTE have often scheduled crimes against taste and decency , I need only say "Paschal" to make most over 30s go pale.

That last person mentioned returns to RTÉ Radio 1 this Friday, with a new series on the Irish communities in Britain.

An excuse to play a Big Tom song in Cricklewood? :D

<click>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

tbh wrote:
    Who do I have to shag to get Derek Mooney fired*?

Derek Mooney probably.

During his show, preferably.

you wanna hear mmmorrrrreee??? :D

• Advertisement

DMC wrote:
    That last person mentioned returns to RTÉ Radio 1 this Friday, with a new series on the Irish communities in Britain.

How 1980s is that?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

No Tony Fockface Fenton??

I loathe the man.

Also have to switch George Hook off, can't stand his voice. Other than that not too many presenters annoy me that much. Apart from a few on Spin/98FM etc....but that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 [DVDF]Merlin

Ok here are the ones i hate

Tommy gorman (i think ) the northern Ireland political editor for RTE the master of hyperbole (in fact i switch the radio off when ever northern Ireland politics comes on)

Ian Dempsey smug, patronizing,always seems forced to me I.E always seems uncomfortable when interacting with the gift grub guys. Plus i hate the way that show in general plugs Bands a few months back it was snow patrol this and snow patrol that. I'll make my own mind up regarding music i like thank you very much Mr Dempsey.

Tony f$*%ing Fenton agggggghhhhhhh!:mad:

The morning show on Newstalk cant think of her name right now but it sounds like the afternoon show to me (coffee morning nonsense) Ironically i switch over to Gerry Ryan because of the morning show thats how much i hate it.

The ones i like

Matt cooper is by far in my humble opinion the best thing on radio at the moment. You get everything, good interviews (unlike the sycophantic ones George hook does) Sport and humorous banter.

Olivia O' Leary when shes on, because she takes crap from no one

Ok here are the ones i hate

Tommy gorman (i think ) the northern Ireland political editor for RTE the master of hyperbole (in fact i switch the radio off when ever northern Ireland politics comes on)

Ian Dempsey smug, patronizing,always seems forced to me I.E always seems uncomfortable when interacting with the gift grub guys. Plus i hate the way that show in general plugs Bands a few months back it was snow patrol this and snow patrol that. I'll make my own mind up regarding music i like thank you very much Mr Dempsey.

Tony f$*%ing Fenton agggggghhhhhhh!:mad:

The morning show on Newstalk cant think of her name right now but it sounds like the afternoon show to me (coffee morning nonsense) Ironically i switch over to Gerry Ryan because of the morning show thats how much i hate it.

The ones i like

Matt cooper is by far in my humble opinion the best thing on radio at the moment. You get everything, good interviews (unlike the sycophantic ones George hook does) Sport and humorous banter.

Olivia O' Leary when shes on, because she takes crap from no one

100% agree there, but. you. forgot Jim. Fahey. Who. Always. Sounds. Like He's. Dictating. His. Report. Down the. Phone.

tbh.

I agree there. Yesterday morning while stuck in traffic, I went up and down the wavelength. I encountered his rant at how important (or his view, not very) the GAA Club championship games are when no-one attends them. Paul Collins was standing up for the correspondence from Oldcastle, that Dempsey doesn't have a clue on such matters, he didn't have an informed opinion, that these are small parishes. Dempsey then proceeded to through his rattle from his pram, shouted over Collins, who then just got on with the sport.

He is the master of lazy, no-brain radio. And that's not a good trait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Marty Wheelan!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Get well soon Gerry Ryan - the sooner that tosser Evelyn O'Rourke gets off the airwaves the better.

That one has no presentation skills what so ever, no empathy either.

A case in point, today, some poor bugger rings in to say his camper van was stolen in Monesterboice (spelling?). He had just returned from 2 months on the continent and had parked up there on the way home (he's from Norn Iron) from Rosslare, and his van was stolen. It had all his money, passports, laptop / satnav / Christmas presents in it, and the scumbags took it all.

The bloke was quite obviously devastated, but yer wan, all she could do was babble "hah, they struck gold with you, didn't they" and "they must have thought it was Christmas" along with maybe one trite "I'm sorry to hear it". Stupid fúcking cnut.

Get. Her. Off. The. Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Yakuza wrote:
    Get well soon Gerry Ryan - the sooner that tosser Evelyn O'Rourke gets off the airwaves the better.

That one has no presentation skills what so ever, no empathy either.

A case in point, today, some poor bugger rings in to say his camper van was stolen in Monesterboice (spelling?). He had just returned from 2 months on the continent and had parked up there on the way home (he's from Norn Iron) from Rosslare, and his van was stolen. It had all his money, passports, laptop / satnav / Christmas presents in it, and the scumbags took it all.

The bloke was quite obviously devastated, but yer wan, all she could do was babble "hah, they stuck gold with you, didn't they" and "they must have thought it was Christmas" along with maybe one trite "I'm sorry to hear it". Stupid fúcking cnut.

Get. Her. Off. The. Air.

Your spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Agree, agree, agree!

She is the most infuriating person to listen to...

That bloody laff, saying "oh god" as she intakes breath, overusing the word "fantastic" in a very Derek Mooney kinda way

aaaaaaarrrrgh! :mad: :mad: :mad:

BTW, what's wrong with Slobbery Ryan?

He had "a bit of a turn". Proberly 28 years of living off the fat of the land comming back to haunt him.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

sudzs wrote:

BTW, what's wrong with Slobbery Ryan?

Vomiting bug, I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement