Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a Mitsubishi FTO

Options
  • 06-11-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭

IN the new year I'm planning to import a 1995 Mitsubishi FTO 1.8 in either manual or tiptronic (not sure yet) as a weekend plaything.

Does anyone out there own a 4 speed tiptronic model, and if so, what is it like. I like automatics, but I'm not sure a 4 speed would be adequete?

I reckon I can get one in for around €4,000 including taxes, shipping and VRT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Would you not go for the 2.0? Even in non-mivec form they're a world apart from the 1.8. They all get hammered for insurance and the tax isn't much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the 1.8 would be easier to sell on. 1.8 should be easier to insure

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:

I dont really understand why people think like this. Who cares about selling it on. I buy a car I like, not one that I think the next guy will like. Not knockinng you for it, just not the way I spendmy money.

Juding by carzone, buying one here would cast around 5k maybe, assuming you hold onto it for a year or two, is the sell on going to be a big issue for you anyway? It's not going to be worth a whole lot at that stage (in the grand scheme of things)

I'm buying it with a view to selling it if i get tired of it, and not have it cost me anything, probably sell for more than I pay for it. I just want peoples opinions on the 1.8 tiptronic. or any useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Colm, Mitsubishi's tiptronics are top notch. I had two Galant 2.0L autos that did high mileage, without any dramas whatsoever. Far better than the manual (IMO).

Having said that, I left them in "D" most of the time as driving them like a manual (flicking up & down gears too often) is going to put added stress on the gearbox. A more powerful engine would of course reduce the need for manual gear changes in a tiptronic. The kickdown always worked well in "D" anyway, with a well balanced (linear) power delivery.

I would be more confident too, that an auto (jap import) would have had a slightly easier life than its manual equivalent; the roads are so congested over there.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    IN the new year I'm planning to import a 1995 Mitsubishi FTO 1.8 in either manual or tiptronic (not sure yet) as a weekend plaything.

Does anyone out there own a 4 speed tiptronic model, and if so, what is it like. I like automatics, but I'm not sure a 4 speed would be adequete?

I reckon I can get one in for around €4,000 including taxes, shipping and VRT.
    4 speed in an auto is like a 5 speed in a manual. Only a 3 speed auto is to be avoided.

I'm not sure as usually a conventional box will have an overdrive. I'd imagine this one doesn't. (It's a Porsche 'box built under license AFAIK)

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm not sure as usually a conventional box will have an overdrive. I'd imagine this one doesn't. (It's a Porsche 'box built under license AFAIK)
    As I mentioned on another post, Mitsubishi invented this type of (manual overide) auto gearbox, first. Porsche just took most of the plaudits with their "tiptronic" label, through marketing spin. The German's love to talk the talk, and milk everything as much as possible, while the Japanese just methodically get on with it, minus the fanfare.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Colm, type INVECS into Google and you can read all about it.

thanks TomMc. just realised the 1.8 is taxed as 1.9 as it's over 1800cc. must check the insurance situation on a 2.0 MIVEC, as I love the note from the engine - are the 1.8 models lower spec aswell? what does the 2.0 generally get extra?

• Advertisement

Colm, some good info here ... http://www.myfto.co.uk/fto-specs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I see lots of fto's around. why import another one? There are surely some for sale on the side of the road. The FTO was officially sold in the U.K. a few years back but I dont think it is in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

A 2L mivec in manual gearbox form will be the easiest of the lot to sell, the 1.8L gr auto the hardest of the bunch. These auto boxes are notorious for going on the fto's, mostly because people dont have them serviced to an adequate level or regularly enough. Avoid would be my advice.

G Luxel wrote:
    I see lots of fto's around. why import another one? There are surely some for sale on the side of the road.

Because the people selling them are generally looking for far more than I can buy one for from Japan, and I wanna be the first Irish owner.

GOing on Quinn Directs website, the GPX doesn't cost much more (10%) to insure than the 1.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

wouldn't bother with tip tronic at all, & I'd watch Jap imports, never know where the car has been. Get a uk car!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TomMc wrote:
    Mitsubishi invented this type of (manual overide) auto gearbox, first. Porsche just took most of the plaudits with their "tiptronic" label, through marketing spin. The German's love to talk the talk, and milk everything as much as possible, while the Japanese just methodically get on with it, minus the fanfare.

Eh? Porsche invented Tiptronic. It was sold from '90. The Japs probably just copied it as usual

Edit: apparently Mitsubishi didn't copy (steal) it, but licensed it from Porsche like many other car manufacturers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

colm_mcm wrote:

As an owner of a both 1.8 and 2.0 in my time, I can guarantee a 1.8 will not be easier to sell on.

If you want resale value, then get a GR or GPx manual.

People who buy FTO's generally do not want the Tips.

colm_mcm wrote:
    G Luxel wrote:
    I see lots of fto's around. why import another one? There are surely some for sale on the side of the road.

Because the people selling them are generally looking for far more than I can buy one for from Japan, and I wanna be the first Irish owner.

VRT will bring the price to around the same as what you would buy one for in Ireland.

colm_mcm wrote:
    thanks TomMc. just realised the 1.8 is taxed as 1.9 as it's over 1800cc. must check the insurance situation on a 2.0 MIVEC, as I love the note from the engine - are the 1.8 models lower spec aswell? what does the 2.0 generally get extra?

The 2.0 litre GR versions are V6. The GPx is a V6 MIVEC.

There is nothing special about the 1.8, its a standard mitsubishi 1.8 engine.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Eh? Porsche invented Tiptronic. It was sold from '90. The Japs probably just copied it as usual

Edit: apparently Mitsubishi didn't copy (steal) it, but licensed it from Porsche like many other car manufacturers
    Porsche trademarked the name "Tiptronic" ... ZF & Bosch actually made it, from a porsche concept. The manufacturers which use this Tiptronic label are the only ones who are licensed by Porsche to use it, namely Audi & VW.

Other manufacturer systems may be born out of this idea but they are not the same, hence different names .. like steptronic with BMW etc.

The Mitsubishi Invecs system is not the exact same as porsches one as it also featured Smart Logic (a world first) which adjusted gear changes to suit a drivers driving style (i.e. no manual settings), not to mention adapt its functioning / engine power delivery, in conjuction with traction control & suspension systems etc.

Anyway, in todays motoring world, you would think for example, Audi invented the four wheel drive system (permanent ot otherwise) the way they go on. It is all marketing ... and the German manufacturers play it up, most of all.

Never mind the trademarked name "Tiptronic"

Mitsubishi pays Porsche a license fee to use Invecs although Mitsubishi don't call it Tiptronic

So who has invented it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does it really make a difference who invented what?

The wheel was invented well before the car but if you were to believe the dribble some car manufacturer's tell us you would believe they invented it.

You said it bazz26 but for unkel who wants to make a big deal out of it.

The sophisticated version ? (which is pertinent to this thread) was pioneered, developed and launched on the market first, by Mitsubishi, evolving from a more basic Porsche design. They are not one and the same. The technological advancements made by Mitsubishi (without any assistance from Porsche) are the very essence/characteristics of what defines INVECS & made it unique. That is why it got such acclaim in the early 90's when it was first launched ... similar to what Audi & VW got in more recent times with the DSG ... even though they themselves did not invent same.

What's more you will find that the only manufacturers paying a license fee to Porsche are the ones using the term "Tiptronic" like Audi & VW. All other motor manufactures can design their own versions similar to same, give it a different name and then avoid paying license fees/royalties simply by changing the layout of the Gear Selector Gate.

bazz26 wrote:
    Does it really make a difference who invented what?

It does when pertinent untruths are being posted. Especially when the true inventors are painted as the sly ones that arrogantly "took the credit" while the copycat is pushed forward as the new hero

I like FTOs BTW. Given the choice I would take the 5 speed auto one myself :)
    TomMc wrote:
    you will find that the only manufacturers paying a license fee to Porsche are the ones using the term "Tiptronic" like Audi & VW. All other motor manufactures can design their own versions similar to same, give it a different name and then avoid paying license fees/royalties simply by changing the layout of the Gear Selector Gate.

As I posted before, not true. Mitsubishi pay Porsche

Many other manufacturers pay Porsche too...

I've decided on a 95/96 GPX (2.0 MIVEC) with the manual gearbox

Even with shipping, Excise duty, fees and VRT VAT, it will be cheaper than the ones I see advertised.

Won't be getting it till next year though.

Good hunting, Colm :)

Let us know how you'll be getting on. I'm quite interested in your experience importing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I presently own a 2.0 tiptronic version of this car. Having test driven the 1.8 tip version as well they are worlds apart in terms of preformance.

The 2.0 has a sweet V6 and plenty power mated with the tip box.

In terms of insurance the diference is very little between a 1.8 and 2.0. In fact the company i'm with they are rated the same.

If your talking about resale the manual Gpx is definately the way forward.

Great car and you'll have loadsa fun when the mivec kicks in ;)

I got proper quotes from Quinn Direct today, and the MIVEC costs €300 more than the 1.8. Apart from the engine, the extra interior and exterior goodies appeal to me. Only reservation I have is lack of ABS, but I'm sure I'll get over it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I got proper quotes from Quinn Direct today, and the MIVEC costs €300 more than the 1.8. Apart from the engine, the extra interior and exterior goodies appeal to me. Only reservation I have is lack of ABS, but I'm sure I'll get over it!

The diference between the 2.0 Mivic and 1.8 would be worth it. You should not rule out the 2.0 non mivec as well. There only 20bhp between them and are similarly specced
    Although ABS were not standard on earlier models the FTO came with many optional extras which include sunroof, ABS and Traction control etc so could get lucky !

Forgot to mention theres a great owners club with a section dedicated to insurance
    http://www.fto-ireland.com

great bunch of guys that are always willing to offer any assistance

Advertisement