Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP, son dropping out of college

• 06-11-2006 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Please help as I do not know the process. My son wants to drop out of a first year degree course in DIT. What I need to know is, will he be able to go back to college in a year, can he reuse the CAO and is there an extra cost involved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I dont know much but he will defo have to pay for his first year, which depending on the course is like 1500 - 2000. I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not necesarily (sp?). Since he has not been in for the whole year chances are he will only have to pay half of the first year fees.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yes 100%. don't worry bout it, fees will be incured but if he notifies the college all can be sorted without hassle, tis very common

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Not necesarily (sp?). Since he has not been in for the whole year chances are he will only have to pay half of the first year fees.

I thought that was only if you were defering (SP?) in the same course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

There is a date in november i think, and if you drop out by then you only pay half fees, make sure he talks to people in the college and is sorted out by then to save a few grand! And yes you can re-use the CAO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swords100

THanks for the info all but can you just tell me, do I have to pay for this yeats fees to DIT or do I have to pay the first year fees in the new college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Make sure he informs the college he is dropping out immediately. I waited untill after christmas, and was left paying fee's over 4000e when I went to UCD!! You reaply using the CAO as before, afaik there are no extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dave3x

A friend of mine dropped out of UCd last year before January. In his case, he simply had to pay half fees the next year to his new college. I'm sure it's the same in DIT, but they might have a different deadline for informing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

gte himm to defer.. moving to another county - bla bla whatever.. i defered from RTC tallaght when it was an RTC now it An IT. anyway i then went on to DIT and did'nt incure any major fees. Think it was 300 per year or somethign or has this set changed? it's been 6 years since i left..

anyway deferal is the way forward not drop out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭beamo

if he notifies the college he is withdrawing before november 30th he will not have to pay fees if he reapplies through the CAO if he drops out before january 31st then he wil have to pay half fees for first year of the course he reapplies for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement