Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powder and Primers

Options
  • 06-11-2006 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Does anyone know where i can get powder and primers for the purpose of reloading. Cases are no problem and i dont think bullets are either. I heard of companies in the uk who are shipping to ireland??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Probably best to wait until 'sometime in the New Year' when this may actually be legal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

more like this time next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

.243 wrote:
    Don't say that!
    :mad:

As far as I can recall, the Minister (or at least, someone in Justice) has said that the reminder of the provisions of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 will be put in place early next year, so that we will be licensing our firearms under the new system at the end of next July.

Again, as far as I can recall, this includes stuff like reloading, the three year licence system, the training licence system, and range inspectors. Have I missed anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, range licencing, but I guess that's implied by the range inspectors (though legally, they could be brought in at different times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

.243 wrote:

I hope its not that long. The funny thing is that there are hundreds of people reloading on the quiet. I was thinking of buying .223 rem cheap umc rounds taking the head off of them weighing the powder and replacing the bullet head with a quality one?? this would be a bit expensive and tedious and expensive but it would work out cheaper than paying 30 euro for twenty accutips!! I can buy the umc for 9 euro for twenty. What do yee think?? its a bit daft i know!

• Advertisement

It probably won't be this time next year, but that's not just dependant on the DoJ and Gardai; we have to step up to the plate as well. Remember that the legislation says:
    (3) A superintendent shall not grant a licence under this section unless satisfied that the following conditions are complied with:
    (a) the applicant holds a firearm certificate;
    (b) the reloading of ammunition will not, in the particular circumstances, endanger public safety or security or the peace;
    (c) the person has a special need which, in the opinion of the superintendent, is
    sufficient to justify granting the licence;
    (d) the applicant is competent to reload ammunition;
    (e) the premises where the reloading is to take place are sufficiently safe and
    secure for that purpose.
    So who decides what "competent" means and who (and how) is that competency tested? We need to be organising courses, running them, codifying them and bringing them to the DoJ and Gardai to be accepted as standards now. Similarly, we need to be going to them with what should be the standards for facilities for reloading now.

Otherwise, it may be a while later than this time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

With Basic reloading equipment about 300 euros and quality projectiles 40-50c ( a guess) you want to be reloading a lot to make it financially viable.

Traumadoc wrote:
    With Basic reloading equipment about 300 euros and quality projectiles 40-50c ( a guess) you want to be reloading a lot to make it financially viable.
    One ISSF 300m match (60 shots plus sighters, probably using 6mmBR) would run to between €120 and €180 on ammunition right now. Say you can reload a match round for €1, that's between €60 and €120 saved per match, that's your €300 back inside one season's matches alone - and that's saying nothing of the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

ballistic wrote:
    I hope its not that long. The funny thing is that there are hundreds of people reloading on the quiet. I was thinking of buying .223 rem cheap umc rounds taking the head off of them weighing the powder and replacing the bullet head with a quality one?? this would be a bit expensive and tedious and expensive but it would work out cheaper than paying 30 euro for twenty accutips!! I can buy the umc for 9 euro for twenty. What do yee think?? its a bit daft i know!

"Mexican Match" ammunition. It's an established practice and therefore not as daft as a lot of people will probably think. Obviously it's a moot point as to whether it's worthwhile in this case, or in comparison with the alternatives, such as loading from scratch with top quality components throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Sparks wrote:
    One ISSF 300m match (60 shots plus sighters, probably using 6mmBR) would run to between €120 and €180 on ammunition right now. Say you can reload a match round for €1, that's between €60 and €120 saved per match, that's your €300 back inside one season's matches alone - and that's saying nothing of the training.

Dont get me wrong - I reload myself and enjoy it more for the "doing it" than the actual saving of money. I just wonder would you save that much with .223 seeing as you can buy it for less than 50 c a round. You probably save a lot more ( and get a more accurate round) with 6mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

why not for now play around with the factory rounds thats what i do

1,stoney point oal gague
    1 " " bullet comparator
    1 kenitc hammer
    1 set of seating dies
    1 venier calipers

play around with the oal on the throat,you'll be amazed of how much play is in them,i got 30 thou extra on 80 gr federals and a vast improvment on groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[So who decides what "competent" means and who (and how) is that competency tested? We need to be organising courses, running them, codifying them and bringing them to the DoJ and Gardai to be accepted as standards now. Similarly, we need to be going to them with what should be the standards for facilities for reloading now.

Otherwise, it may be a while later than this time next year!
    [/QUOTE]
    And whats to say then they will turn around and say the courses are unacceptable under etc etc legislation?
    Plus who is competant to teach it here already,or will this just become another money making preserve like the Irish Deer hunting liscense course.That they are the only accepted course in Ireland like it or lump it?
    Maybe it is just better to stay sthum on this go out and get a video or CD and learn from this.I mean thousands do this in the US without any accidents every day.Are we more klutzier over here that we need to be liscensed on this?If you have basic maths,not a chain smoker and know how to use a gun,you are competant enough to reload IMO.

Advertisement