Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusing Information from Local Area Connection Status Window

Options
  • 06-11-2006 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

I am on a 2MB bb connection, which has increased over time from 512 to 1MB to 2MB as the automatic speed increases came about.
    My Local Area Cnnection status window in the systray used to show 512 then with the first increase it changed to 100.0Mbps, but it never changed when the speeds were doubled again. I know I am on the 2MB service as my router shows 2048 downstream and 256 upstream, and Irsih ISP speedtest shows me getting 1712 kbps up, and 209 down.

Why does the Local Area connection status window not show true speed. I also see under the Networking tab in Task Manager that my Local Area Connection is shown as 100Mbps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The Local area connection shows your connection as 100 Megaits per second. This is the max speed your Ethernet card allows over the Local Area Network, i.e. between 2 computers.

Your Broadband plan only allows up to 2 Megabits. And this is why the speed test shows 1712, which is about as fast as you could expect to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭leche solara

Thanks for reply.
    So I am receiving what I'm paying for?
    If I move up to 3MB am I likely to have a problem?
    What does the info about ethernet card mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

No, upgrade as much as you want.

You wont start to have any problems with the 100Mb ethernet limiting your speed until they introduce 100Mb broadand which wont be for quite a while ;)

The Ethernet card you have is completely normal, you don't need to worry about it in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Why does the Local Area connection status window not show true speed. I also see under the Networking tab in Task Manager that my Local Area Connection is shown as 100Mbps.
    It does show the true speed. You have a 100Mb connection on your LAN between your computer and your router.

All perfectly normal and correct. Your ethernet card isn't connected directly to the internet, and doesn't know (or care) how fast the link is between your telephone exchange and your DSL modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you had USB 1.0 or 1.1 or old 2Mbps WiFi you would have a problem with 3Mbps.

Actually even 11Mbps Wifi with ONE client has a top speed only just faster than 3Mbps as real throughput on Wifi is less than one 1/2 the bitrate as it can't talk & listen at same time, if two clients in use it runs sometimes less than 1/2 as fast again.

Even USB 2.0 also is slower than 100Mbps in real terms. Don't use USB to connect to modem, but Ethernet, as you are doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement