Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

heating timer problem

• 06-11-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I'm using oil heating system in a new house for the first time. This timer doesnt seem to work. I set the times I want the boiler to run, set the time, but the clock doesnt move!

Anyone know the fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

How old is the timer? Maybe it's Goosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

when u switch the timer does the light come on, on the timer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is there current to it? Check your trip switches just in case. Any chance of posting a pic of the timer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

How old is the timer? Maybe it's Goosed.
    Its new - never used before.
    when u switch the timer does the light come on, on the timer
    crosstownk wrote:
    Is there current to it? Check your trip switches just in case.
    - yes.
    crosstownk wrote:
    Any chance of posting a pic of the timer?
    See original post above.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sorry! (How did I miss that :rolleyes: )

Either it's knackered or it's getting no current. If your competent with electrics, remove the timer and check all the connections - with the relevant trip switch OFF). Otherwise call an electrician.

Are the two switches beside the timer related? Maybe there is a loose connection behind them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Eurorunner wrote:
    I'm using oil heating system in a new house for the first time. This timer doesnt seem to work. I set the times I want the boiler to run, set the time, but the clock doesnt move!
    Anyone know the fix?
    Most timers have a "live in" and a "live out" to the boiler.
    Also there is usually a link from the "live in" to power the clock - has this been connected ?
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I jsut replaced that very timer
    It only has 3 connections

Neutral
    Live in
    Live out

If you the timer lights up when its switched to "On" then you are getting power to it, so thats ok.
    (The timer looks after powering itself from the live in)
    Does the clock move when the timer is set to "On"?

If not then Id suggest that the timer is knackered and you need a new one.
    If you bought it new then bring it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I had a similiar problem - clock wouldn't work - had to replace unit. I think you only get a years warranty with them.

I checked the wiring and everything seemed to be firmly in place. I suppose it must be knackered according to what ye're saying.

Its in there for probably a year now - but this is the first occassion I have had to use heating since getting the house signed over so I didnt get the benefit of it - if it ever did work. Will get on to the builder and he can get the sparks back in to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Eurorunner
    What you should not do is what I do...With timer face off and using good insulated pliers and a small loop of cable short live in and live out. Boiler should run. You could always remove the two lives and join in a bale strip ( with power off. When you powewr up the boiler should run/. Question of faulty timer answered
    t

• Advertisement

tapest wrote:
    Eurorunner
    What you should not do is what I do...With timer face off and using good insulated pliers and a small loop of cable short live in and live out. Boiler should run. You could always remove the two lives and join in a bale strip ( with power off. When you powewr up the boiler should run/. Question of faulty timer answered
    t
    But this wont get the clock going right? The boiler runs when 'on' - no problem. Its just that i have to remember to turn the bloody thing off cos the timer/clock isnt turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Eurorunner wrote:
    But this wont get the clock going right? The boiler runs when 'on' - no problem. Its just that i have to remember to turn the bloody thing off cos the timer/clock isnt turning.

On most of these units there is a loop of wire (phase) going to form a second circuit to power the clock and charge the internal back-up battery. Check these connections. You may have to invest in a new unit, I'm afraid. If so, pen and paper, make wiring diagram before shopping. Some units have a 3 wire, some a 4 wire supply.You dont want the added job of rewiring,
    t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I replaced mine (the exact same one as yours) with a Sunvic Select107 from B&Q.
    €45 I think and a doddle to install.
    Much more flexibility also

Advertisement