Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are houses in Charlesland selling?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I notice there are many houses for sale in Chalrelsland, but I was wondering are any of them selling, has this slowdown in the market impacted here in a big way.

The reason I am so interested is I am thinking of selling my own place and I would like to know how fast it will sell and also which estate agent is the best to go with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We're in the same boat. We had several agents come to look at the house last week and we're in the process of weighing up the options of selling and if we want to commit to a bigger mortgage by moving closer to work.

One of the agents (I'll not name names) brought a spreadsheet of all sales in Charlesland in the last 12 months and it was several pages long. It wasn't just for his agency it was all agencies. He was demonstrating the strength of the market at the moment for the area.

PM me if you want info on who we met with and our impressions of them.

Eoin may also have some thoughts on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Now is not a great time of year to sell. Although the more expensive houses are definitely affected by the time of year they go to market, this can still filter down to smaller houses. Basically, nobody really wants to move at this time of year. The premium times for the market are September - October and around March - April.

We were extremely lucky to agree the sale of our apartment within 3 days of going on the market - but this was just down to an investor missing out on an identical place that had sold recently.

I was keeping a close eye on the market in Charlesland in the weeks leading up to the sale of our place, and from what I could see, the houses are shifting quite quickly. The only exceptions seemed to be the duplexes.

I am happy to PM the name of the estate agent we used to anyone who is interested. I don't want to mention them here, because although they were pretty good, the whole moving house process has been so hateful that I don't want to give anyone involved with it any free advertising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beta Bill

what fee did you agree with the agent, (you needn't name the firm!) ??? Also did you have to pay for the advertising, sign board, brochure etc or was it an all in deal?

Beta Bill wrote:
    what fee did you agree with the agent, (you needn't name the firm!) ??? Also did you have to pay for the advertising, sign board, brochure etc or was it an all in deal?

Commision: 1% + VAT

Advertising: €350 for myhome and daft, signage was included in the commision. Brochure was included, but it just a few colour A4 pages as opposed to a proper brochure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beta Bill

Sorry but you were held up by Dick Turpin and his pals trading as no doubt some 'big' name agency! You could have gotten 0.50% or maybe 0.70% with all advertising including daft, myhome etc all in if you had done your homework.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I have been saying this for ages, where was everyone when Eddie Hobbs was telling people to shop around... they must have seen you coming...

Why are Irish people so 'brand name' driven that they still fall for the biggest consumer blunder every time....

Next time forget the HOK's, the DNG's, the Sherry Fitzgerald's, indeed any IAVI or IPAV firm because they are looking for the 'profession' to be regulated so that they can conitinue to scr*w the Irish public over (as they have done since the dawn of time) just like solicitors and doctors and other so called professionals still do...

• Advertisement

Beta Bill wrote:
    Sorry but you were held up by Dick Turpin and his pals trading as no doubt some 'big' name agency! You could have gotten 0.50% or maybe 0.70% with all advertising including daft, myhome etc all in if you had done your homework.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I have been saying this for ages, where was everyone when Eddie Hobbs was telling people to shop around... they must have seen you coming...

Why are Irish people so 'brand name' driven that they still fall for the biggest consumer blunder every time....

Next time forget the HOK's, the DNG's, the Sherry Fitzgerald's, indeed any IAVI or IPAV firm because they are looking for the 'profession' to be regulated so that they can conitinue to scr*w the Irish public over (as they have done since the dawn of time) just like solicitors and doctors and other so called professionals still do...

Well, it's a done deal now and the place was sold within 3 days of going to market. This in itself was worth any extra money.

This thread specifically for houses in Charlesland, please use Consumer Issue or Accomodation / property fora for more general discussions. Eddie Hobbes is full of shìte anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Beta Bill wrote:

who offers 0.50 percent.we are selling an appartment in cherrywood.and also we were going to go with sherry fitzgearld but donot know the rate they want yet.

IT Loser wrote:
    Eoin...I think he is on topic. House selling in Charlesland is an abstract concept until we talk price. Price is determined by? LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Cut the guys some slack.

The topic is "Are houses in Charlesland selling?"
    From what I can tell over the last couple of months - yes, they are.

The prices have also been pretty constant for each type of house or apartment. I may still have a spreadsheet at home with the asking price for many of the homes for sale in Charlesland over the last few months. Because they are all by and large the same age, and that there are a good few on the market, the closing price tends to be 5-15K over the initial asking. This is probably higher for the 3 bed houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

eoin_s wrote:
    The topic is "Are houses in Charlesland selling?"
    From what I can tell over the last couple of months - yes, they are.

The prices have also been pretty constant for each type of house or apartment. I may still have a spreadsheet at home with the asking price for many of the homes for sale in Charlesland over the last few months. Because they are all by and large the same age, and that there are a good few on the market, the closing price tends to be 5-15K over the initial asking. This is probably higher for the 3 bed houses.

Just for pig iron, whats the asking on a 3 bed in C'Land??:eek:

IT Loser wrote:

I had thought they were going for over 500K, but a quick look at myhome.ie shows some 4 bed houses going for that. I'll check my spreadsheet at home tonight have see if any are listed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

think the 4 bed duplexs' going for about the same as the 3 bed houses.

530k - 560k

dubgirl wrote:

530k - 560k

That would make sense; I didn't think that Charlesland included any 4 bed terraced or detached houses.

The duplexes seemed to be the ones taking the longest to shift. I'd imagine that most people looking for a 3+ bed house would like a garden and don't like the idea of stairs directly up the front door, and then from there up to the main living area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

dubgirl wrote:

530k - 560k

Ridiculous money. Absolutley potty.

IT Loser wrote:
    Totally, but as long as there's people to pay it...

That's economics for you!

IT Loser wrote:

For Greystones, it's so-so. I can't remember the name of the estate (it's on the road from Bray to Greystones near the small BMW garage?), but that's pretty much the only private estate in Greystones where you'd get a 3 bed (or small 4 bed) house within the same price range.

On it's own it is mad money, but when taken in the context of the overall market, it's not bad value for money (and yes, I know "value" in this case is as abstract as it gets!).

New 2 bed houses in Delgany are now going for 550K and more. I think the 3 bed houses were another 100K on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

IT Loser wrote:

Just had a look at the asking prices on all the unique listings on Daft.ie and Myhome.ie, and came up with the following averages (by no means scientific!):

€363,333 - Apartment 2-bed (Average of 3 listed)
    €415,000 - Duplex 3-bed (Average of 3 listed)
    €416,429 - Townhouse 2-bed (Average of 7 listed)
    €435,000 - Apartment 3-bed (Only 1 listed)
    €528,750 - Duplex 4-bed (Average of 4 listed)
    €535,000 - Terraced House 3-bed (Only 1 listed)

Some of these are on the market over 30 days. :(

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

eoin_s wrote:
    For Greystones, it's so-so. I can't remember the name of the estate (it's on the road from Bray to Greystones near the small BMW garage?), but that's pretty much the only private estate in Greystones where you'd get a 3 bed (or small 4 bed) house within the same price range.

Redford Park?

MuffinsDa wrote:
    Redford Park?

That's the one! Knew it was red-something... I think the 4 bed places there were going for around the 530K mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Afraid they're not that cheap in Redford Park. There is currently a two-bed detached place on the market there for 610k although by all accounts the place is in mint condition, so that is probably pushing up the price.

There are a huge mix of houses in there -- everything from two-beds to five-beds, detacheds, semis and terraces -- and the sizes really vary as well, so it's quite hard to say what an average price is for the estate is. There was a three-bed on the same road as us sold early last year for 575k, for example.

All. Keep to the topic or I will lock the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

getting back on message (!), Daft.ie put out a report this morning saying that they have more properties listed on the site than ever before, and that price growth has ground to a halt. Unless I really, really had to sell, I wouldn't put my house on the market at the moment. There's going to be another interest rate rise in early December, so I reckon it will be next February or March at the earliest before things pick up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Between now and February and also between June and August are the slowest times of the year on the market. I wouldn't advise putting anything on the market unless you are in a hurry to sell at the moment.

On the flip side, if you are a buyer, these are often good times to buy because not so many people are looking.

All. Keep to the topic or I will lock the thread.
    You can't say you weren't warned.

Thread locked.

Also, a weeks holiday for IT Loser. Now extended to 2 weeks for abusive PM.

I'm tentatively re-opening this thread, as I have removed most of the bullshìt up to this point. Please keep it on topic from now on.

Advertisement