Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinions on my new system

• 06-11-2006 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm building my first system sometime this month and I just thought I'd give you all the chance to pick the ****e out of it and give me any advice on what to tweak or anything I missed.

First thing you should know though is that its going to be in my bedroom as a gaming/media centre so I can't stand noise, also I'm neither a benchmarking whore nor a millionaire, so I'm working on a 1,500 yoyo budget and its all bout the bang for the buck.

I will be overclocking the CPU to about 2.6Ghz using the Zalman 7700 alu/copper heatsink so the e6300 saves me a few quid and I still get some nice results with it.

Any of your opinions(read slagging) of the thing are welcomed because well I'm a newbie and i need to be thought these things. Anywho enough chat i was thinking :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
    Zalman 7700 alu/copper heatsink
    Arctic silver 5
    Gainward GeForce 7950GT 256MB
    Asus P5B DLX/WIFI-AP
    Antec Performance One P180 Miditower, Silver Aluminum
    Bundle: OCZ 450W Powersupply
    ...........OCZ 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-6400 800 MHz Memory
    320GB Barracuda
    NEC DVD±recorder IDE Black OEM DVD+R/+RW/DVD-R/-RW (Dual layer)
    Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005
    Logitech Cordless Desktop S 510, Ultra-flat, USB/PS2

Total.............................................€1411

As for the monitor A dell 2407wfp is in the post ........yay!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

thats looks perfect only for the ocz powersupply kinda noise go for seasonic oh and buy a headsink ,the aritc freazer pro is good 1 or tuinqe tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If you can spend a bit more on the cpu, Go for a e6600. If you dont plan on overlcocking this will give a nice performance boost.

I would change the psu to something over 500W, and from a different make, Seasonic or tagen are among the best and most efficiant. There is no point in getting a psu that needs to draw 700W to hold 450W.

The seasonics are about 80/90% efficiant

• Registered Users Posts: 22 JayWasTaken

Thanks for the input I wasn't sure whether or not to get a 3rd party heat sink but since I'm overclocking it i might as well push it a lil further so i was looking at the Zalman 7700 which is a beast of heat sink and could no doubt cool the lil core 2 duo completely passively if i wanted it to. Oh yeah i threw in some arctic silver 5 as well just for good measure.

as for the PSU its actually cheaper for me to buy it in that bundle (€263) than to get the ram on its own which is about €316 so it would be crazy for me not to get the two of them any way about it being noisy from pretty much every review of the thing I've read its one of the quietest PSU's out there like crazy quite so i don't know were your getting you info from but i do a freakish amount of research before buying stuff (one of the reasons I posted on the Boards) so I'm sure it will do me for a few months anyway. Hell it is like saving me 50 squid.

Seriously do thanks for the comments. now all I have to worry about is if that humongous Zalman fits in the p180!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok but there was a whole post on here about how nosiey they were.

Advertisement