Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 PAssat 1.6 - €10,950 - Good price?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    My sister just rang me from Tralee with a question. Shes thinking of buying a 02 Passat. I'm in Galway so can't check it out myself. Here's the spec:

02 1.6 Passat
    95k miles (seems a lot for a petrol)
    Trade sale (Going to find out warranty tomorrow)
    FSH (Finding out tomorrow when the TBelt was done, when its due again)
    NCT until 08 (Means feck all in my eyes)

She has been offered 5k for her 02 Seat Ibiza (Book value 4500euro)

To me it seems quite expensive for a high milage petrol car, what do you guys think? My sister reckons the car is 'mint' ... Nothing a valet and car wash wouldnt do :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Who buys petrol cars with >100K mileage?

Answer that question and you have your true value.

For me, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, car might be great but when upgrade time came I'd be stuck with a pumpkin after Halloween.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I recently bought a 03 130TDI Estate for just over 14k
    so a 02 would be 12k
    and a saloon would be 11k
    high mileage would knock some more off, say 10k

It's a VW so it's obviously going to be overpriced somewhat. I personally wouldn't pay that for a petrol but it's probably on not a "rip-off".

Timing belt should have been done about 80k, I think.
    At that mileage and age you'd want to check work having been done on suspension arms, and brakes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hi guys,
    My sister just rang me from Tralee with a question. Shes thinking of buying a 02 Passat. I'm in Galway so can't check it out myself. Here's the spec:

02 1.6 Passat

To me it seems quite expensive for a high milage petrol car, what do you guys think? My sister reckons the car is 'mint' ... Nothing a valet and car wash wouldnt do :rolleyes:

Is this the car by any chance?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=530312

If so to be honest it looks a bit knackered.

A trade sale usually means that the car is sold as seen without any warranty. If this is the case then €10,950 for a 2002 1.6 litre Passat with 95k miles is expensive. Regarding the timing belt, the previous generation Passat has the engine mounted length ways rather than transverse which means it is more difficult to change the timing belt. This means it takes longer to do and hence costs more. VW dealers have been known to charge anything up to €1k for this.

Just looking at some "asking" prices of 02 Passat 1.6 litre models on carzone:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=495152
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=539054
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=531490
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=512068

1.6 litre Passats are not as much in demand as their TDi counterparts so they don't retain their value as much, I would definately advise your sister to shop around. Also go for the Comfortline model over the Baseline, at that age their would be very little price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If your buying it make sure you listen to the engine, if its got s ticking noise from it like a tappety noise, walk away from it. Lots of VW's have this, its known as piston slap, which is a sign of major wear in the engine. I recently became aware of this problem and its a lot more widespread then you might think. Volkswagen stands for poor quality nowadays in my book for sure.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

junkyard wrote:
    If your buying it make sure you listen to the engine, if its got s ticking noise from it like a tappety noise, walk away from it. Lots of VW's have this, its known as piston slap, which is a sign of major wear in the engine.(

Petrol or Diesel or both ?, and is this for Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda inclusive ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

bazz26 wrote:

That's the one. Personally I think its a rip-off with the high milage. Thanks for the advise BTW!

junkyard wrote:
    If your buying it make sure you listen to the engine, if its got s ticking noise from it like a tappety noise, walk away from it. Lots of VW's have this, its known as piston slap, which is a sign of major wear in the engine. I recently became aware of this problem and its a lot more widespread then you might think. Volkswagen stands for poor quality nowadays in my book for sure.:(

I'm well aware of piston slap... never knew VW suffered from it... Again cheers for the info!

I've only seen it in petrol engines so far, but, to date I've looked at eighteen cars so far and fourteen of them have it with mileages as low as forty thousand miles. And the worse thing about it is the main dealers know about it and are saying nothing. It makes you realise what a piece of cr@p they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JohnCleary wrote:
    That's the one. Personally I think its a rip-off with the high milage. Thanks for the advise BTW!

In fairness, 95k in 4 years means it's most probably been cruising on motorways /dual carriageways its whole life and thats preferable to spending 4 years sitting in solid traffic and only doing 10k.

http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_advert?country=IE&modelexact=1&make=Volkswagen&model=Passat&keywords=1.6&min_pr=&max_pr=&min_year=&max_year=&source=2&currency=EUR&county_list=&sort=5&SUBMIT.x=49&SUBMIT.y=9&id=200645182669721

Going to take a look at that on Friday, just means taking a little detour home! Seems a little bit better priced, if he takes a trade in.

So VW heads, any advise for me? Anything in particular to be looking out for? (Thanks Junkyard for the tapping tip! - How can I be sure it's not just the tappets?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wow close call. Everyones getting slow in their old age, a vw thread nearly went buy without someone saying "octavia". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hi guys,

02 1.6 Passat

I'm selling exact same with 53k miles for a fiver more.

ballooba wrote:
    I'm selling exact same with 53k miles for a fiver more.

She's after someone who'll take a trade in on her 01 Seat Ibiza

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JohnCleary wrote:
    http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_advert?country=IE&modelexact=1&make=Volkswagen&model=Passat&keywords=1.6&min_pr=&max_pr=&min_year=&max_year=&source=2&currency=EUR&county_list=&sort=5&SUBMIT.x=49&SUBMIT.y=9&id=200645182669721

Going to take a look at that on Friday, just means taking a little detour home! Seems a little bit better priced, if he takes a trade in.

So VW heads, any advise for me? Anything in particular to be looking out for? (Thanks Junkyard for the tapping tip! - How can I be sure it's not just the tappets?)

That one looks like a UK spec car and the price seems very reasonable. With 70k miles on the clock check that the timing belt has been changed recently. If not it is due. Also check the suspension as I think Passats suffered from some sort of suspension issues back then. They also had central locking problems so make sure it works properly.

They have hydraulic tappets. Did someone mention Skoda Octavia?:)

bazz - Cheers for the info, going to give them a ring tomorrow and see if they can e-mail me more pictures. I'll ask questions/test things out on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

JohnCleary wrote:
    She's after someone who'll take a trade in on her 01 Seat Ibiza

I'm not suggesting she should buy mine.

Would be a bit far to go to buy a car. Plus it has a Dublin reg!!! ;)

Just pointing out that there is better out there for the same price.

ballooba wrote:
    I'm not suggesting she should buy mine.

Would be a bit far to go to buy a car. Plus it has a Dublin reg!!! ;)

Just pointing out that there is better out there for the same price.

Sorry wasnt trying to make it look like you were trying to flog me something - Tidy looking car BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mileage looks a bit high TBH, wait till january and buy one with half the mileage

Advertisement