Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Best Pint of Guinness?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Having lived in Galway for over 30 Years and been a Guinness Drinker for the last 10 there are some pubs in Galway that I will not go into because they cannot serve a good pint of Guinness.

I went into the Olde Brewrey in Oranmore at the weekend for "A" pint but; lads it was the nicest pint I had in years. I ended up having 6 pints before I had to go.

If you are a Guinness Drinker where in Galway do you rate a good/bad pint?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personally, I'd say O'Connors in Salthill, and in town, Neactians and The Bunch Of Grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

When Pighead was in college, Taaffes(Shop St, I think) poured a cracking pint of Guinness. Although in fairness its a long time since I was a college boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Rosin Dubh do a good pint of Guinness. Haven't been there in a while but from what I remember it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Murphy's on Shop Street has a good pint

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Murphy´s
    Garavans
    Barr an Chaladh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Great question,

Im a guinness drinker and i've tried the guinness in most pubs, i'll give a quick rating in my opinion for each bar and their guinness.

The roisin Dubh 6/10,
    Massimo's 6/10,
    Blue note 9/10,
    The crane bar 8/10,
    The front door7/10,
    Bazaar 4/10,
    Neachtans 8/10,
    Garvan's 7/10,
    Bunch of Grapes 9/10,
    The cellar bar 4/10,
    The living room 3/10,
    O'connor's (which is now closed) 9/10,
    Fox's 2/10,
    The Skeff 3/10,
    The hole in the wall 3/10,
    Bar903 7/10,
    Cant remember them all :/

I wouldnt even touch a pint in a night club because tbh you'd nearly need the staff to give you a knife and fork to eat/drink it :D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Garveys 8/10

Only let them serve you from tap nearest the square! The other is slops back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

There is a pub on Inish Mor and it has the best pint of guiness ever.
    Also back to galway Ti na nog has a pretty good pint of guiness suprisingly enough

Im barred from Ti Na nog :/
    For matters not to be discussed here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Donnellys Restaurent and Bar if you're out in Barna!

Savage Guinness or so I'm told :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Donnellys in Barna or Murphys in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

fracture wrote:
    I think it's a bit better than that I had a nice one there once
    The cellar bar 4/10,

Waaaaay to high for both of these Hole in the Wall doesn't deserve a rating when it come to Guinness. Garvan's I heard good things about but wasn't impressed but not a place iI frequent
    Garvan's 7/10,

I wouldnt even touch a pint in a night club because tbh you'd nearly need the staff to give you a knife and fork to eat/drink it :D lol

Thats my life rule Number 5: never drink Guinness in a nightclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

guinness in clubs is for n00bs!

fracture wrote:

I always assumed when someone was talking about a good Guinness they'ed use the expression "good eatin and drinkin" or "soup" as in creamy head smooth body.I always found a ****y Guinness to be watery,strong tasting with a head that goes quickly.Anyway i dont touch Guinness in a busy bar either for the same reason as a nightclub, too rushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

The Office Bar in Salthill - no contest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

salthill has the best pints - the office, killorans, jamesons, o'connors

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

From a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

blasphemy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

toiletduck wrote:
    salthill has the best pints - the office, killorans, jamesons, o'connors

Agreed! Up salthill... hehehe

?banned? wrote:
    The Office Bar in Salthill - no contest

Jez i was in there after the Aussie rules match , my first pint in two months and it was horrible , in fact all draught was sh1te that night and i had been so looking forward to it.Mind you i've never had that problem there before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hughe's in Woodquay. Good stuff. Very "old man pub" though. I got funny looks off one or two patrons last time I went there in the company of a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I can't believe the Dew Drop Inn and Freeneys havn't been mentioned yet, my top tips for the black stuff in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

SyxPak wrote:
    From a can.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have to say Freeneys is gone back a bit. A good Guinness to me is the type that there is ating on drinkin in it..... just like soup. Hughes in Woodquay is a good spot for it.

padi89 wrote:
    I always assumed when someone was talking about a good Guinness they'ed use the expression "good eatin and drinkin" or "soup" as in creamy head smooth body.I always found a ****y Guinness to be watery,strong tasting with a head that goes quickly.Anyway i dont touch Guinness in a busy bar either for the same reason as a nightclub, too rushed.

Thats not entirely true, if the guinness has been sittin in the tap or the lines for a while it tends to be rotten. What i meant by the knife and fork thing goes for all pints in night clubs.
    swalsh wrote:
    I can't believe the Dew Drop Inn and Freeneys havn't been mentioned yet, my top tips for the black stuff in galway
    Right enough, The dew Drop has a good pint, last time i was in freeneys the pints were fowl, had a few of them hoping they would get better but they didnt :/

wrote:
    Originally Posted by fracture
    I think it's a bit better than that I had a nice one there once
    The cellar bar 4/10,

Waaaaay to high for both of these Hole in the Wall doesn't deserve a rating when it come to Guinness. Garvan's I heard good things about but wasn't impressed but not a place iI frequent
    Garvan's 7/10,

I wouldnt even touch a pint in a night club because tbh you'd nearly need the staff to give you a knife and fork to eat/drink it lol

Who said that?

Anyway, i had a few nice pints in the cellar last Wednesday night. They were ok, nothin special.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I spent most of last week in Galway and had many a fine pint -most of them in the bar in Jury's Hotel, but a few also in a quiet little pub on a corner near Shop Street whose name escapes me... gah...

[edit]: The Dew Drop, I think it was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CCno1

Mc Donaghs also known as "The Thatch" in Oranmore is definetly the best pint in Galway or Glynns in Oranmore do a great pint but is a bit of an old mans pub. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Old Man's (Men's?) Pubs kick ass. You never know when some old dude's gonna start singing some sean-nós or a fight might start over a jelly bean shared in 1984. Great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

1. Kelehans Pub Bushypark
    2. Freeneys
    3. Dew Drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Can't believe nobody has said ti coili yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

The Rowing Club in Woodquay as a great pint IMO

Advertisement