Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo Diesel (2005) - Any good ?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of getting a 2005 Ford Mondeo Diesel and was wondering if anybody has any feedback regarding them ?

Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

deadl0ck wrote:
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking of getting a 2005 Ford Mondeo Diesel and was wondering if anybody has any feedback regarding them ?

Thanks !!

Make sure it is the 115bhp or 130bhp TDCi version in the Zetec model. This is a grand unit, quite nippy and has good economy.

The 90 or 100bhp engine was very sluggish and a bit noisy. I think this was only found in the LX model though so avoid if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The Zetec engine is the one to go for alright, a good all round car, probably one of the best in its class but unfortunately this class depreciates like a lead balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks guys.

In general though, regardless of the model, are they a reliable diesel engine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Yes I would say they are and 100k miles between timing belts on the Zetec engines too.

Hmmm......It was the LX model I was looking at, so I'm not so sure now, however, reliability is my main concern....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

deadl0ck wrote:
    Hmmm......It was the LX model I was looking at, so I'm not so sure now, however, reliability is my main concern....

If you can stretch your budget to the Zetec TDCi then I would strongly recommend it over the LX. The 115bhp version is light years ahead of the old 90bhp unit.

I'm not sure but I think maybe in 2005 some of the LX models had the 115bhp engine but I'm not sure there is anyway of telling the difference visually. I think the 115bhp had a 6 speed manual gearbox though in 2005 but I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't buy an LX, the engine's rubbish compared to the 115bhp, and LX spec is saleproof too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I recently bought an 05 Mondeo Zetec 130hp tdci (ex UK), and I love it. So far, economy has been around 52-53mpg, calculated by brimming the tank at each fill.

Afaik, the 130 hp model was not available in this country until you went for the Ghia or Executive model, all zetecs are 115hp tdci, and then the LX models from 05 on came with a choice of 90bhp tddi engines (slow, best avoided) and a Tdci engine (which I think is 115hp - but I stand to be corrected). LX mondeos are equipped with a 5 speed gearbox, Zetecs and above are six speed.

Reliability wise, Fords have improved enormously over the last decade. Mondeos in general are pretty reliable, with rear subframe bushes being their weak point.
    Early Mondeo TDCi's were known to have problems with the commonrail injector pump (manufacturing defect in a case-hardening process meant that some of them disintegrated), but this issue seems to have been resolved.
    There were also issues with the EGR valve, again this was on earlier models.
    Unlike their VAG conterparts, the Ford TDCi engine is chain driven, so no costly 60,000 mile service to worry about.

Driving and handling wise, the mondeo is the top of its class. Zetecs are a little more stiffly sprung than the other variants.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gyppo wrote:
    I recently bought an 05 Mondeo Zetec 130hp tdci (ex UK), and I love it. So far, economy has been around 52-53mpg, calculated by brimming the tank at each fill.

Afaik, the 130 hp model was not available in this country until you went for the Ghia or Executive model, all zetecs are 115hp tdci, and then the LX models from 05 on came with a choice of 90bhp tddi engines (slow, best avoided) and a Tdci engine (which I think is 115hp - but I stand to be corrected). LX mondeos are equipped with a 5 speed gearbox, Zetecs and above are six speed.

Reliability wise, Fords have improved enormously over the last decade. Mondeos in general are pretty reliable, with rear subframe bushes being their weak point.
    Early Mondeo TDCi's were known to have problems with the commonrail injector pump (manufacturing defect in a case-hardening process meant that some of them disintegrated), but this issue seems to have been resolved.
    There were also issues with the EGR valve, again this was on earlier models.
    Unlike their VAG conterparts, the Ford TDCi engine is chain driven, so no costly 60,000 mile service to worry about.

Driving and handling wise, the mondeo is the top of its class. Zetecs are a little more stiffly sprung than the other variants.

Very fair assessment. A good used Mondeo can be an excellent buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I drive a Opel Astra and I would love to buy a Ford Mondeo 130bhp TDCi and get it remapped.

I drove my bosses rental a couple of months ago and it was a 1.8 petrol model and it was lovely to drive.

My dad has a Galaxy TDi and it has never given him any trouble.

The leak part of the car is the bushings.

Engine should be strong, and there is an owners club in the UK, they have a website so if you do encounter any problems get in touch with them and they should put you straight. I have found these owners websites to be a valuable source of techincal info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

130 bhp is enough for most people I'd imagine. No need for remapping.

If you want more power there's a 2.2 TDCI unit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

junkyard wrote:
    Yes I would say they are and 100k miles between timing belts on the Zetec engines too.

I thought this engine has a timing chain not a belt.;)

gyppo wrote:
    Afaik, the 130 hp model was not available in this country until you went for the Ghia or Executive model, all zetecs are 115hp tdci,

There was also a 130bhp Zetec badged model called "ebony" it got 6 speed transmission and climate control over the standard Zetec, and was availabe pre-facelift. Had one for a while - cracking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

130 bhp is enough for most people I'd imagine. No need for remapping.

TDCis don't like remapping. It kills the transient overboost, and the learning CPU appears to unmap the remap.

A fair few earlier Mondeo TDCis have had pump and injector failures, while LOTS of transits (same engine) have had DMF failures.

I wouldn't be so harsh on the 90bhp LX diesel. It isn't as fast, but it is still a common rail (as of 04/05 methinks). It has a fine torque reserve (same as 115), and if you can get it for the right money it shouldn't be ruled out. I suspect it wouldn't be hard to get a friendly ford technician to "make" it into a 115bhp either.

130bph is perfect for the Mondeo, and the power is usable, comes in low enough, and can be revved hard. I reckon remapping would spoil the delivery.

TDCis don't like remapping. It kills the transient overboost, and the learning CPU appears to unmap the remap.

A fair few earlier Mondeo TDCis have had pump and injector failures, while LOTS of transits (same engine) have had DMF failures.

I wouldn't be so harsh on the 90bhp LX diesel. It isn't as fast, but it is still a common rail (as of 04/05 methinks). It has a fine torque reserve (same as 115), and if you can get it for the right money it shouldn't be ruled out. I suspect it wouldn't be hard to get a friendly ford technician to "make" it into a 115bhp either.

I have no idea what you just said there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

mondeoman wrote:
    I thought this engine has a timing chain not a belt.;)

Yup, ive an 01 Mondeo TDDI and I rang the garage about a service and he told me no timing belt. Timing chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kluivert wrote:

My dad has a Galaxy TDi and it has never given him any trouble.

AFAIK that's a VW engine.

But the Mondeo diesels are very reliable. A few gave problems with the dual mass flywheels and there was another problem with an auxilary diesel pump. Nothing serious or epidemic.

Thing is they're ten-a-penny so residual suffers.

Hmmmm.....

Would I be better with a 2 year mondeo, or a 4 year old BMW 320 ?
    Which would hold their value better over say 4 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BMW 320. Strong residual with a BMW. Much nicer to drive too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement