Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition Limit Query

Options
  • 07-11-2006 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello All,

I'm new to the board so apoligies if this topic has been discussed already.
    I've been target shooting for approx 18 months now. When I applied for my licence I left the ammunition limit blank as I was unsure what to ask for, my licence came back with the standard 100 rounds.
    As things stand I'm using close enough to 100 each time I visit the range so as you can imagine its a pain having to make the trip to purchase more after each visit.
    My question is this, how do I get my licence ammended to show say 1000 rounds?
    Cheers,
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Back to the Garda station,explain to your local FO that you want it ammended to 500 rounds or1000 and why,usually best in writing,and then it is up to the FO and Super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's the text of my standard 'begging letter', amend as you see fit-

The Superintendent,
    An Garda Síochána,
    Wherever.

Re: Application for increased ammunition allowance

To whom it may concern:
    With reference to my Firearm Certificate (No: ***insert Firearm Certificate number here***) for a ***insert gun make and type here***, calibre: ***insert calibre here***, serial number: ***insert serial number here***, I wish to apply for an increased limit of 1000 rounds of ammunition.
    As a target shooting practice session or competition can easily consume several hundred rounds, it can often be very inconvenient (if not outright impossible) to replenish the standard 100 round allowance on the Firearm Certificates several times over the course of a single day.

Of course, there is also an economic advantage to purchasing ammunition in larger quantities.

Sincerely yours,
    etc, etc.

This or a variation on it if submitted with the application for the
    Firearm Certificate has always worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

A recent thread here.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

If he declines and says no another way around it is to apply for a european cert (not sure of the exact name) your are completely entitled to one of these free of charge and they cant refuse you one if you already hold a current irish firearms cert once they dont take very long to come through and the minimum ammo limit on these is 500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AlanB.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the informative replies. I'll let you know how I get on...

Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Redstag

If he declines and says no another way around it is to apply for a european cert (not sure of the exact name) your are completely entitled to one of these free of charge and they cant refuse you one if you already hold a current irish firearms cert once they dont take very long to come through and the minimum ammo limit on these is 500

Hi psittacosis, What the procedure for acquiring one of these European Firearms passes. is the application forms available online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 baikal

edit: posts advocating illegalities (or confessing to them) aren't on lads -Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its nice to have it above board though.

@ Redstag ive no experience with it im just passing on information do a search otherwise someone else might know something

I'd imagine you just go see your FAO and apply for it

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I have got The European Passport for 3 of my Weapons. All you have to do is go to your local FO and Ask for one. Its Free of charge, you will not be refused and only takes a couple of weeks.

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hezz700 wrote:
    Ask for one...you will not be refused
    Legally, you can not be refused. Will is the incorrect word here, as is ask. If you have your licence, you are by law entitled to an article 7 and a european firearms pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Redstag wrote:
    Hi psittacosis, What the procedure for acquiring one of these European Firearms passes. is the application forms available online?

Is this the same person who has claimed on boards that they are now trading as a firearms dealer?

If I am wrong I apologise, If I am correct then........ (Insert your own declarations of surprise!!):confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

My European Firearms pass does not mention ammuntition at all on it or any reference to quantity. All that's on it are my firearms and their particulars. Have people seen Euro passes with ammo limits mentioned on them:confused::confused:

Advertisement