Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clin Psych Jobs

• 07-11-2006 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi!

I'm currently in my second year of my DClin Psych training in the UK, having come over here specifically for the training, but with the ultimate aim of returning home to Ireland. However, given that I'm training and on placement over here with the NHS system, I'm feeling very out of touch with the current situation re psychology at home, about the structures and systems etc. Don't suppose anyone could point me in the direction of some resources I could read to clarify for myself the organisation of the Irish health services and the role clinical psychology plays? - it's strange, over here everyone is so clear on NHS structures/policies/organisational stuff/entitlements/services, yet even when I was living at home, I was never entirely sure what the setup was!

Further, following the recent Agenda For Change pay restructuring over here, many Trusts have frozen new psychology posts this year, and I know that the current recent graduates have found it more difficult to get jobs following qualification. However, I heard vague whisperings that clinical psychology jobs have been easier to come by in Ireland in the last couple of years, and I was wondering whether this was really the case?! If so, excellent!!

Any responses much appreciated!

:) x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

flamingo wrote:
    Hi!

I'm currently in my second year of my DClin Psych training in the UK, having come over here specifically for the training, but with the ultimate aim of returning home to Ireland. However, given that I'm training and on placement over here with the NHS system, I'm feeling very out of touch with the current situation re psychology at home, about the structures and systems etc. Don't suppose anyone could point me in the direction of some resources I could read to clarify for myself the organisation of the Irish health services and the role clinical psychology plays? - it's strange, over here everyone is so clear on NHS structures/policies/organisational stuff/entitlements/services, yet even when I was living at home, I was never entirely sure what the setup was!

Further, following the recent Agenda For Change pay restructuring over here, many Trusts have frozen new psychology posts this year, and I know that the current recent graduates have found it more difficult to get jobs following qualification. However, I heard vague whisperings that clinical psychology jobs have been easier to come by in Ireland in the last couple of years, and I was wondering whether this was really the case?! If so, excellent!!

Any responses much appreciated!

:) x

http://www.loadzajobs.ie/search_results.asp?selfSubmit=1&categories=&locations=&employment_type=&companyId=&recruiter_type=&Keyword=psychologist&roleId=&sort_by=&page=&posted_in=&s1=&st1=&ro=

http://www.irishjobs.ie/showresults.aspx?IsProvince=1&MatchPerc=40&Location=0&Ranking=&Roles=&Recruiter=Both&Category=17&cboLocation=0&KEYWORDS=psychologist&I7.x=20&I7.y=11

http://www.careersinhealthcare.ie/searchapply/results.asp

Plenty of work around. Last I heard, there was about a 30% vacancy rate for available positions for qualified clin psychs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 flamingo

oo lovely! thanks for the links! (-:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 omahonyd

Hi,
    I know this post was sent ages ago, but wondering if you have sorted yourself out with job options. I am just finishing training in Ireland and would be very interested in hearing from anyone in the UK interested in posts here.
    My email is d.omahony1@nuigalway.ie

If you or any of your friends are interested in moving back please drop me a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yazfoal

Do you mind me asking where you're doing your D Clin? I'm thinking of going to the UK myself, just working through my BA in Psychology so wont be for a while tho. Whats the course your doing like? How did you get in? Tell me all!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yazfoal wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you're doing your D Clin? I'm thinking of going to the UK myself, just working through my BA in Psychology so wont be for a while tho. Whats the course your doing like? How did you get in? Tell me all!!:)

You really need to have a first in your degree along with clinical work experience, or a 2:1 with a masters and clinical work experience. It's pretty hard to get into without any experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement