Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernard Dunne to fight this weekend.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

the general consenus before the fight was that pickering was a tricky and respected opponent, dunne beat him fairly easily, thought he moved well throughout and won most of the rounds, bernard can only fight whats put in front of him and pickering was the mandatory challenger for the vacant title. Most of the english pundits predicted that esham wud have too much class for dunne, it turned out he didnt.
    Dunne stepped up to the challenge last nite and even his coach says he has more to come, i think he has enough to win at least the ibf crown but of course only time will tell. Not a big fan off showboating either but boxing at that level is show business, promoters,tv and most of the crowd love it, as long as he boxes well and keeps winning he can show boat all he wants! Having said that when dunne fought in italy and germany last year there was no showboating, he just got the job done(pardon the pun). I think after two rounds last nite bernard felt he had the beating of esham and played the crowd a little bit, that said i thought in the final round he boxed well and stayed out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Now for another euro level to increase his fitness and expierence at that level. Then he might have a look at molitar.

I can't see him beating Molitar to be honest based on this performance- not that it was a bad performance but he still has a few chinks in his armour which i think a better fighter will expose. though, i'll be glad to be proved wrong in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I agree that he has a few chinks but he needs to fight another couple of times at euro level and he will be ready for the likes of Molitar. Wasn't overly impressed with Molitar on Friday, Hunter was poor enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I never seeing Dunne fight just read and heard a lot about him. I wasn't impressed with him last night at all and pickering didn't look much use either. Dunne through a few good punches and caught him a few times and clearly deserved the win. I don't know dunne, but i hate the arrogance of the man trying to show boat last night in the ring. What does he want to be remembered for boxing or does he want the celebrity status? I saw hammed do the same and aimar kahn is also starting to show boat. The end of day why can't boxers just get in the ring and do a professional job and box. They train for months on end and talk about how they are going to knock such and such out. I read that Dunne was looking to knock him out in the 4th round. I have read all the stories that he has the potential etc to be great, but the lad is 26yrs of age and probably only has 3yrs left. What’s he going to achieve in that time? I wouldn't imagine much to be honest.

I wasn't impressed and i would imagine if he stepped up a division or two he would get battered. Pickering caught him a few times, but he didn't impress me much either. The division they are fighting looks to be Mickey Mouse fighters all round.

Before you all start, I’m saying i would better etc, it’s my opinion.

I hope Dunne proves me wrong, but i doubt it.

Do you mean you werent impressed with his behaviour or his boxing? If its the latter care to share why? The reason boxers act like dicks a lot of the time is purely to increase their publicity and build anticipation and interest in their fights. The more the boxer says hes "the best" or he's going "to kill someone" the more poeple will watch(unfortunate but true) and the bigger the payoff for the boxer in the future. Id also say boxers have to be confident/bordering on cocky as its the nature of the sport. No other sport is an athlete so at mercy to his own ability as in boxing. But I would agree that it just doesnt suit Dunne. He doesnt have the style to pull it off and add yo that the thick Dublin accent can lead to some pretty cringeworthy moments.

I thought Dunne put in a good performance last night. I must say I was expecting it to be tougher for him but he boxed very well. Before last nights fight I would have seriously questioned his ability to become a world champion but now I think its a serious possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Here are all the fighters ranked by the EBU at Super Bantamweight(essentially Dunne's options for his next fight) the first 3 are ranked on how good I think they are and the rest are the EBU's rankings cause it's very hard to seperate these average fighters .

Esham Pickering www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=014873
    -the man Dunne has just beaten and he is fighting for the British title against Marc Callaghan next .

Kiki Martinez http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=258662
    -have to admit ive never seen him but from what ive heard he's the boxer puncher type and his record is very good for a 20 year old with old 14 bouts .Holds the EU belt which is a stepping stone to becomming European mandatory .

Michael Hunter http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=015694
    Beaten last friday for the IBF title and plans to move up to Feathweight .

Miguel Mallon www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=019782
    Saw his fight with Pickering , he was totally outclassed and stopped in 10(on his feet) he's fairly durable but limited and without a punch .

Salem Bouaita http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=006586
    French champ who lost his EU title to Martinez , only ever stopped once and that was against the hard hitting former WBA champ Mayhar Monshipour(who is rated at no.1 but thankfully for Dunne has retired as he would destroy Dunne)

German Guartos http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=014756
    Has fought for the European title on two occasions and both times was stopped in 3(against Monshipour and Hunter) . A slugger with little power poor stamina and a questionable heart Guartos is pretty limited .

Tuncay Kaya http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=015338
    A brawler with the heart of a lion but unfortunatly his skill cannot match , he is extremely limited technically but gave Hunter a good battle before being stopped in 9 . Monshipour did him in 6 .

Reidar Walstad http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=97318
    Norweigan who has been matched very carefully and has never fought anyone remotely dangerous , however that didn't stop him losing to Mongolian(now living in England) flyweight journeyman Shinny Bayaar inside a round .

Yersin Jailauov www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=027771
    Despite being quite short he fights in a crouched style , awkward is the best way to describe him . He lost to Michael Hunter in 2 , although that stoppage was very premature . A more accurate reflection would be his 7rd Tko loss to former WBA Somsak Sithchatchawl the man who dethroned Monshipour(and lost his title recently to Cabellero) .

Noel Wilders http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=009279
    stopped by Dunne in 6 , that's all that has to be said .

Fausto Bartolozzi http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=141285
    presumely ranked cause he's Italian champ because his record is less than inspiring . defends his title against a guy called David Chianella next .

Arsen Martirosian http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=291566
    French novice who lacks power . If they bothered to rank this guy , Walstad , Bartolozzi and Wilders they may aswell rank Paul Hyland because all four of them are equally undeserving of a ranking .

I'd like to see Dunne fight Martinez and then try and convince Hunter to stick at Super Bantam a little while longer and fight him . Anyone else on that list is just an easy stoppage the only difference being than some are a bit more durable than others and might make it longer .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

I never seeing Dunne fight just read and heard a lot about him. I wasn't impressed with him last night at all and pickering didn't look much use either. Dunne through a few good punches and caught him a few times and clearly deserved the win. I don't know dunne, but i hate the arrogance of the man trying to show boat last night in the ring. What does he want to be remembered for boxing or does he want the celebrity status? I saw hammed do the same and aimar kahn is also starting to show boat. The end of day why can't boxers just get in the ring and do a professional job and box. They train for months on end and talk about how they are going to knock such and such out. I read that Dunne was looking to knock him out in the 4th round. I have read all the stories that he has the potential etc to be great, but the lad is 26yrs of age and probably only has 3yrs left. What’s he going to achieve in that time? I wouldn't imagine much to be honest.

I wasn't impressed and i would imagine if he stepped up a division or two he would get battered. Pickering caught him a few times, but he didn't impress me much either. The division they are fighting looks to be Mickey Mouse fighters all round.

I know its just your opinion but you are illinformed and havent a clue what you are talking about imo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

JoeyJJ wrote:
    I agree that he has a few chinks but he needs to fight another couple of times at euro level and he will be ready for the likes of Molitar. Wasn't overly impressed with Molitar on Friday, Hunter was poor enough.

To be fair - Hunter vacated the European belts that Dunne/Pickering fought for, so he cant be too bad - dont get me wrong I think Molitor has too much for BD at the moment but BD is looking good.

I hope he has 4, yes 4, more euro fights building up strength, stamina and skill before pushing for world lelvel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Showboating gets you noticed alot faster. it's a fact of life. Combat sports have terrible money until you hit the big leagues.. You have to do whatever you can do to get there because after mid thirties, your career is over and unless you've made enough money to live off, you could go from fighting in madison square garden to serving fish & chips on the corner.

So before you judge, try think about why Dunne does what he does. He has the perfect style for showboating. He's near impossible to hit. Ali, Leonard & Mayweather all did it and all had/have the same low handed, showboated style of Dunne.

In a simple world, people would get in and "just box" - But it's much more intricate than that and people need to market themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dlofnep wrote:
    He's near impossible to hit.

Its your first time to see Dunne fight then?.

He's a punchers dream, no guard and fights with his face. IMHO at a heavier weight he wouldn't last pi$$ing time.

Just my 2cent worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well fair play to Bernard. He did what he had to.
    As far as Pickering goes, I don't know what to say.
    It was the first time I had seen him fight.
    No disrespect, but I thouht he was absolute useless.
    It looked like all he wanted to do was basically survive the course
    and pick up his paycheck. Bernard should have been able
    to take him out, but his lack of killer instinct and punch
    cost him.

I hate to sound so cynical, but until Dunne fights a worthy or
    even willing opponent, I'll have to wait before claming him as
    a top class fighter. He's good no doubt, but so are hundreds of
    guys at his weight.

What really annoyed me with Saturday night and Dunnes' previous
    fights are the lkes of Jimmy Magee and McCauley hyping and hyping the
    event up and claiming how fantastic Bernard's opponents are. I Know they can't be disrespectful, but try to be a little honest, and if not then relax a
    little on the HYPE!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dunne did well to win it so fair play to him. However he wouldnt have much of a chance against Steve Molitor yet. He didnt stay 12 rounds and someone better than Pickering who certainly isnt world class or anything near it would have exposed his lack of stamina that was clearly evident in the latter rounds. I dont know if Dunne has much improvement left in him but he would need to improve significantly to beat Molitor. Dunnes camp would do well to avoid a meeting Molitor for as long as possible.

I was also a bit embarrased for him to see him showboating. It just totally doesnt suit him in the same way as it doesnt suit most boxers who show boat. When he tapped Pickering on the head in at the end of a round was the worst of it i'd say.

Fair play to the point for creating a great setting. The atmosphere there reminded me of the Benn, Eubank and Collins fights and the crowds they drew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Walshb - Even though I hold much the same opinion as you on Dunne, I think you're being a small bit harsh on Saturday's performance. I thought he boxed beautifully for the first 6 rounds, lost 7 & 8 (I actually thought he was in a bit of trouble then) but recovered well to take 9, 10 & 11 and conceded the last.
    I thought Pickering tried his heart out. In the second half he pressed and pressed but just couldn' catch Dunne clean. The more skillful boxer won but had to work for it.

Big Ears - Good spot on Voronin's name (I realised my mistake Sat. night when somebody mentioned it in the buildup), but I stand by my opinion that he's not a big puncher, more a physically strong guy who can grind down lesser opponents, but definitely not a one-punch guy (he hasn't even one first round KO on his record), yet it was one punch that had Dunne in massive trouble and that's why I have my doubts about Bernard's chin.

Rounders123 - That tap on the head (unless I'm remembering a different incident) was an acknowledgment, a mark of respect, something lots of boxers do when they reach a point where their opponent has proved themselves. It's actually very common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote:
    I hate to sound so cynical, but until Dunne fights a worthy or
    even willing opponent, I'll have to wait before claming him as
    a top class fighter. He's good no doubt, but so are hundreds of
    guys at his weight.

Actually hundreds of guys are good at the weight , sure the top guys are great but the division lacks depth . Pickering was a legitimate top 25 Super Bantamweight fighter .

There is especially a lack of depth in Europe meaning that Pickering is the best fighter Dunne is going to have faced before he fights for a world title .
    Unless Monshipour comes out of retirement there is no Super Bantamweight in Europe than would trouble Dunne .

Megadodge im not sure about Dunne's chin either(Pickering did buzz him a few times) but thankfully he's a little more evasive than Hunter so wouldn't be so brutally found out at world level .

fair point on Voronin but he did shake up Nicky Cook once or twice in their fight and Cook is a full blown featherweight with a decent chin .

Dunne has got a problem though as WBC champ Vasquez is a huge puncher(30 of 41 wins early with 7 of his last 8 early)

WBO champ Daniel Ponce De Leon has a huge punch(28 out of 30 wins early and one of the guys to go the distance with his was stopped in the first and left unconcious flat on his face in the rematch)

WBA champ Cabellero(18 out of 25 wins early) stopped the iron chinned Sithchatchawal and dropped him 3 times in doing so .

and finally IBF champ Steve Molitor(9 out of 23 wins early) the apparent feather fisted fighter out of the lot , he has stopped his last 3 which includes the of former European and British(he gave them up to fight Molitor) and current commonwealth champ Michael Hunter who was dropped twice and stopped in 5 . Worringly his power seems to be improving , and he'd certainly be capable of hurting and stopping Dunne .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think to answer whether or not Dunne has improving in him is NO.
    He's 26 now and at the lighter weights, it's the younger men who really prevail. The heavier you go is when the extra few years pays dividend, due mainly through strength and maturity. The lower weight guys rely more on their speed, and youth. McGuigan I think was 24 or 25 when he won a legitimate and worthy world title. Dunne is nowhere close to this level. I have to be honest. I will support him and cheer him, but I cannot accept that he is top 10 in the world. His lack of real 12 rd stamina, concrete chin and a damging punch will always leave him outside the cream of the division. Woulkd Pickering have survived against a McCullough or Molitor or any true world class fighter. I say absolutely not. He would have been taken out the moment the blood ran!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

dlofnep wrote:
    . Ali, Leonard & Mayweather

Careful now!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

have to say well done to dunne. was at the fight at the weekend. great atmosphere so there was. dunne looked sharpe in the first half of the fight. pickering couldnt hit dunne in the third or fourth round. it was good to see dunne dodgin the shots that came his way. could have and probably should have knocked pickering in the fourth i think it was. you could see dunne tire in the second half of the fight which was always goin to be the case. dunne could barely throw a punch during the end and had to move around the ring a lot as pickering was coming to him. would be good to see dunne have a few more twelve rounders like that one. hopefully we will see more of him in the next year or so. dunnes head is gona expand by about ten fold now after this win, but sure it could be a good thing, couldnt it?

Advertisement