Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman put in a male dorm

• 07-11-2006 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hypothetically speaking, if a woman was staying in a hostel, and whilst there was moved around a few times, and say, was told, without prior knowledge (as in, she came in one night to find this out) that she was put in a mixed 6 bed dorm, which consisted of her and 5 guys (complete strangers to her), would she have a right to complain to the hostel, or would there be a body that she could complain to, about the way she was moved to a place where her safety may be in question?

Hypothetically speaking, of course:rolleyes::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, there aren't any laws against having men and women sleeping in the same room, strangers or otherwise.

I'm not sure if a court of law would accept that a woman is in more danger sharing with five strange men than with five strange women (despite the obviousness of that statement).

At best, she could bring a civil case for the hassle and distress caused by the hostel. Isn't there an organisation (An óige?) that most hostels are part of? She could probably make a complaint to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

seamus wrote:
    Isn't there an organisation (An óige?) that most hostels are part of? She could probably make a complaint to them.

I am guessing that the question referred to hostels providing shelter from homelessness or similar care, not youth hostels....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

haz wrote:
    I am guessing that the question referred to hostels providing shelter from homelessness or similar care, not youth hostels....
    A hostel that the person paid to stay in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

the_syco wrote:
    A hostel that the person paid to stay in.

The nature of "hostel" here is probably important in defining what contractual (express, implied or expected) obligations the proprieter had, and what duty of care.

If it is a purely private service arrangement, like a student hostel or the board-only rooms around Temple Bar, then you pays your money and takes your chances - if you don't like it, then you say so and take your money back. Paying the money is acceptance of their terms and (at least partial) acceptance of any perceived or actual risk known to the person buying the service.

If it is in any form a shelter (either paid or provided) then there is probably a duty of care, and an expectation of gendered dorms might apply. Not that this is legal advice of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, an oige does exist:
    http://www.anoige.ie/

For Youth Hostels though, not sure traditional bagpacker haunts would take part in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are independant hostels as well and if an anoige hostel is not fun they will take in non memebers at a higher fee.

Mixed dorms in this country are only a recent thing but have been the norm in other parts of europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

1) Just because they are male does not mean that they are rapists/perves, or that one of them would not stop the others from engaging in any "activity" remember, it only takes one of five to object....

2) The_Syco is a girl?!! Thought that you were male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Firstly, yes I'm a dude. Secondly, I never said that they were rapists/perves, but the hypothetical woman wouldn't have alot of privacy, and may feel threatened, in a room full of males. Thirdly, this hostel is a "USIT Approved Hostel".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Mixed dorms are the norm these days. Nothing illegal about them. Welcome to the modern times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Indeed, I would be very surprised if I came across a NON mixed dorm in a private backpacker-type hostel (as opposed to An Oige/IYHA hostels.) Segregated dorms reduce potential capacity = reduce profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I slept in one hostel before and I'll never do it again...4 in the morning, all the 7 other people in the room elected one 'representative' to wake me up at 3AM and say effectively the following:

"erm excuse me youre snoring very loudly and we're all trying to sleep...might I reccomend you sleep on your belly? Cheers."

Never again...for my sake and others :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

the_syco wrote:
    Hypothetically speaking, if a woman was staying in a hostel, and whilst there was moved around a few times, and say, was told, without prior knowledge (as in, she came in one night to find this out) that she was put in a mixed 6 bed dorm, which consisted of her and 5 guys (complete strangers to her), would she have a right to complain to the hostel, or would there be a body that she could complain to, about the way she was moved to a place where her safety may be in question?

Hypothetically speaking, of course:rolleyes::mad:

To get the thread back to the OP.

Of course you have the right to complain to the hostel.

If the hostel is associated with a company or organisation, then again, of course you have the right to complain to them also.

However no laws have been broken, and unless you were told you would be in a segregated dorm, then you have no legal complaint.

Advertisement