Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Men Upstairs in the Campus Bookshop

Options
  • 07-11-2006 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Has anybody ever been upstairs in the Campus Bookshop during lunchtime?

Does anyone else find the way the two men upstairs talk to each other really annoying? All those innuendos.

"Where's Gregory? I need someone who's good with his hands."

It's really annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Stfu!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

ROFL - i love innuendo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Ah thats funny.

Although I wouldn't like them "doing" that if there's a queue and that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Umaro wrote:
    ROFL - i love innuendo
    In YOUR end-o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

One of them's always on the phone in the desk upstairs at the window, facing out at all the customers roaring down the receiver.

He's got a very grand accent and a loud voice and he talks about nothing book related; like what he got up to at the weekend (not reading), then he laughs really loud. He's a name dropper as well.

I suppose he adds a bit of character to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

One of them's always on the phone in the desk upstairs at the window, facing out at all the customers roaring down the receiver.

He's got a very grand accent and a loud voice and he talks about nothing book related; like what he got up to at the weekend (not reading), then he laughs really loud. He's a name dropper as well.

I suppose he adds a bit of character to the place.

He sounds hillarious.I must go visit the bookshop.

Has anyone else noticed that UCD seem to hire a lot of people who are not the full shilling to work in their shops and labs?
    Theres Jerry in the chem lab,
    There at least three crazy people working in the anatomy dissection room
    There two mad people working in computer services too,one in the terrace and one in deadelus

panda100 wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that UCD seem to hire a lot of people who are not the full shilling to work in their shops and labs?
    There two mad people working in computer services too,one in the terrace and one in deadelus

Or maybe it caused by the stress of college life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Sure they just add a bit of colour to an otherwise dreary place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

panda100 wrote:

So true, they do add character to the place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

I have noticed that. Some of the people in the restaurant are batty!

But the guy in the bookshop seems more like a private owner than a UCD employee. He's so officious and pompous, proclaiming into the phone - he's like a character from Fawlty Towers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

panda100 wrote:

As far as I can remember back in 1st year there was a chemistry lab guy called Andy who was a small bit nuts too, nice guy but very excitable and boy did he like chemistry.

Also, the physics department.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

actually if we are on the subject of batty people who work for UCD. The lady who "owns" the student print center in the Arts Block is a nut. Always shouting, being rude and offensive.

I have noticed that. Some of the people in the restaurant are batty!

But the guy in the bookshop seems more like a private owner than a UCD employee. He's so officious and pompous, proclaiming into the phone - he's like a character from Fawlty Towers!

Yeah hes the manager of the Campus bookshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

mloc wrote:
    As far as I can remember back in 1st year there was a chemistry lab guy called Andy who was a small bit nuts too, nice guy but very excitable and boy did he like chemistry.

I couldn't understand a word he said, was it an English accent or some messed up hybrid of ten different ones!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

let's not forget speedy gonzalez in centre - you ever seen anyone make a roll as fast as she does?

its not very fair to be naming people on here and calling them crazy now is it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

But it sure is funny!*

Guys in the bookshop are pretty out there though. Mostly helpful though so its all good.

*as in its a joke lighten up

Do you think UCD has some sort of equal opportunities employment ethos cos there is a lot of mentally challenged people working in UCD? And I dont mean that in a rude way,its just the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

panda100 wrote:
    Perhaps working for UC(double)D drove them 'crazy'? I'd say its a fair assumption...

panda100 wrote:
    Do you think UCD has some sort of equal opportunities employment ethos cos there is a lot of mentally challenged people working in UCD? And I dont mean that in a rude way,its just the way it is

in your "expert" opinion is it!!:rolleyes:
    i get that it may be a joke but how would you feel if u worked here, read this thread and heard people basically calling you retarded!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its not a joke, its an observation on UCD's employment policy.

I assume they would have down syndrome or something, either that or panda is assuming they are because her change wasn't correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I would imagine that UCD employment policy wouldn't reflect on most of those places because they're private retail outlets and can hire whoever they want to do the jobs they lay out for them.

tintinr35 wrote:
    in your "expert" opinion is it!!:rolleyes:
    i get that it may be a joke but how would you feel if u worked here, read this thread and heard people basically calling you retarded!!

Yes it is in my expert opinion .A lot of them have signs and symptoms of psychiatric behaviour. Its an observation.I havent named any names and I am not calling anyone retarded. They all seem to do their job competently and are all very nice people. Its just funny cos they can come out with silly things some time and do slightly crazy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

In the good old days the students were weird and they raged against the straitlaced staff. Now it appears to be the other way round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sarchasm

Has anybody ever been upstairs in the Campus Bookshop during lunchtime?

Does anyone else find the way the two men upstairs talk to each other really annoying? All those innuendos.

"Where's Gregory? I need someone who's good with his hands."

It's really annoying.

hehe, yeah there is something strange going on up there. sometimes they seem kinda up themselves! they dont like to let you browse for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

panda100 wrote:

Hi Panda, I work in the Daedalus building, ehhh whos the person in the Daedalus... we need to point and laugh at him/her :D A few of us are finding this really funny. So dont worry about describing/naming the nut job in question, feel free to PM if you want.

sutty wrote:
    Hi Panda, I work in the Daedalus building, we know the lad in the Terrace, and your right :D But ehhh whos the other person in the Daedalus... we need to point and laugh at him/her :D A few of us are finding this really funny. So dont worry about describing/naming the nut job in question, feel free to PM if you want.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

the most psychologically unstable of all my friends (by which i mean he has regular nervous breakdowns and suicide attempts) works in daedalus.

from which tenuous connection i will extrapolate to the unshakeable conviction that working in ucd drives people insane.

sutty wrote:
    Hi Panda, I work in the Daedalus building, ehhh whos the person in the Daedalus... we need to point and laugh at him/her :D A few of us are finding this really funny. So dont worry about describing/naming the nut job in question, feel free to PM if you want.

Its not so much that he/she is crazy its the fact that he/she chats up everyone who comes through the door and in such a forward manner!!
    But to be honest he/she always brightens up my day:)

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    Its not so much that he/she is crazy its the fact that he/she chats up everyone who comes through the door and in such a forward manner!!
    But to be honest he/she always brightens up my day:)

Hmm.. that narrows it down. :D

Advertisement