Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICS calls for a €2 hike...

• 07-11-2006 4:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

God damn it leave us alone I say!
    http://www.cancer.ie/news/news.php?newsID=141

Listening to some douche bag on Newstalk right now... I really really want to punch him in the face.
    To paraphrase him... "Smokers want this"... 80% of smokers want to quit... well I don't recall being polled.

Actually there's an idea... I'll add a poll.

Will a €2 increase on boxes of 20 make you quit? 1 vote

Yes! I only smoke because they're so cheap! This is a great idea.
    0% 0 votes
    No... leave me to kill myself in peace.
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Anything that makes me smoke less is a good thing imho. Like the smoking ban stopping me from chain smoking in the pub on a night out. 40 a night was conceivable if I hit the pub early back before the ban.

I've never tried to give up smokes properly but stuff like this will make me try, especially when you add up how much you save and all that malarky.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I'd say that would make me smoke less alright. Here in Britain, it costs £5.50 for 20, which is about €7.75. I'd probably just switch to rollies though, if the price increased that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

This press release must be recycled every year before the budget. I guess they have to do their job and it totally goes over my head now at this stage. A big increase might deter younger smokers from starting but sure teens have plenty of money anyway and when starting off smoking it's not as if they're 20 a day addicts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

"National cancer charity demands €2 price increase in packs of 20 cigarettes in Budget 2007 "

Well, thats one charity I'll never donate to anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well it was 50c - ouch:mad:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Smoke rollies guys!* It costs less than four quid for half an ounce that will make maybe 20-30 cigarettes...

*either that or quit, of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I would love a massive increase, than far cheaper illegal smokes would become widely avaible, okay so its a little bit of tax evasion but i cant see the cab seizeing all my assets for it! As for encouraging me to quit i dont see how any external pressure will help me quit untill i get the will to quit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

All the more reason to go on holidays, really! On a trip to Lanzarote a few years ago, I found a little shop in Peurta Del Carmen (?) selling 200 Camel Lights (and many other brands) for €12.50.

Now that's value!

Advertisement