Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault, Pile of scrap, or Reliable Wheels?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I presume I'm Mr. Toyota?

I stand by my opinion that Toyotas are more reliable than most other cars. All cars have the potential to have problems, and the fact that Toyota replaced some VVT-i engine blocks due to excessive oil consumption has very little to do with anyones opinions of Renault - or indeed Toyota. Surely the fact that they replaced these parts free of charge outside of warranty (3 years....) shows how committed they to customer satisfaction they are.

I didn't see the relevance of the Megane to Corolla cost to change comparison either, but I would point out that you can take a Corolla into any main dealer, regardless of brand and get a good trade in price. The same definately cannot be said of the Megane.

Re: safety. Toyotas newest generation of cars (Rav4, Avensis, Yaris, Corolla Verso) and forthcoming models have top safety levels, and if it were not for the diversity of vehicles offered (Dyna, Hiace, Hilux etc.) would rival Renault in the safety stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lets simplify it.............

If I've a Renault to sell the trade steer clear and look for further price reductions.

If I've a Toyota to sell the trade queue up and ask how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

All I said is it's not as if other brands don't have issues - Toyota included - and there is not doubt that any of the Jap cars - Toyota, Mazda, Honda et al, are all very, very good at the reliability thing. The reason other brands sell at all is that they bring something else to the buyer - price, features, style are just some. If they didn't, we'd all drive the exact same car.

However, the original poster's question still stands - and it looks like it's just even-steven compared to other euro cars. Which is interesting, really.

Jap cars are in a league their own, as I said.

P.S. Junkyard - sorry about your troubles!!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

galwaytt wrote:

not according to 7 of the voters! (who I suspect were being funny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm beginning to think Bill Cullen is getting all his buddies on here to vote in favour of Renault, there couldn't possibly be that number of people in favour of them. I don't believe it anyway.:rolleyes: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

galwaytt wrote:

Meh. Most "Jap" cars are as Japanese as Derby (or Istanbul or Lille or wherever your particular model was built).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote:
    Meh. Most "Jap" cars are as Japanese as Derby (or Istanbul or Lille or wherever your particular model was built).

Just like BMW 3-series and Merc C-class. Both built in East London, SOUTH AFRICA.

My Jap car was built in Maryland, Ohio, but DESIGNED in Japan.

Short answer: Renault = scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm driving an 05 Laguna at the moment, not a moments trouble with it. 60000kms on the clock so far and it's still going like brand new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

The top FIVE are Japanese. The bottom 9 are European ( that's only cos I don't know where they make Chryslers) Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

overdriver wrote:
    The top FIVE are Japanese. The bottom 9 are European ( that's only cos I don't know where they make Chryslers) Says it all.

wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote:
    Just like BMW 3-series and Merc C-class. Both built in East London, SOUTH AFRICA.

My Jap car was built in Maryland, Ohio, but DESIGNED in Japan.

Short answer: Renault = scrap.

Avensis, Auris, and Yaris have been designed in France I think. Open to correction on that though.

I had a rental Clio 3, and hell it was a comfortable car and well able to go for a 1.2L. I do think that Renault have some reliability issues though. I was brought up to believe that the Renalt 18 was a "great car", and everything since has been rubbish.

prospect wrote:
    wrong

Great post. Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I copied this from the What Car site. By the way I am the not very happy owner of a Renault Mégane 1.6. Usually it's the electronics going wrong.

134555445.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

This is the manufacturers' list.

134555622.jpg

overdriver wrote:
    Great post. Please elaborate.

It is not that tough. The top 5 are NOT japanese.

If you look at THIS YEARS results, not 2005, you will see that SKODA are #1. Last time I checked, they were European.

Actually, looking at joolsveer's post. 2 of the top 5 were european in 2005.

I would appreciate it if you would drop the sarcasm and smart ar5e tone - it's not neccessary, and not helpful. It just creates a nasty "feel" to a thread.

I was looking at the chart JMHEG posted, which does indeed show the top 5 being Japanese.

That JD Power survey is unfortunately a Customer Satisfaction survey. The cars can be crap but if the dealers are good at a$$-licking then the manufacturer's overall rating improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm beginning to think Bill Cullen is getting all his buddies on here to vote in favour of Renault, there couldn't possibly be that number of people in favour of them. I don't believe it anyway
    You can't handle the truth :)

The poll makes interesting reading. As I write this, 9% of voters rate Renaults as highly as the Japanese makes, a further 45% say Renaults are no worse than other Europeanmakes, another 46% say they're a load of crap.

Even though this poll was supposed to be about facts and not hearsay I'd imagine that many of the 46% of naysayers have never owned a Renault and are just repeating what they've heard from others. If the poll really was restricted to Renault owners only I feel that this figure would be a lot lower than 46%.

Also it doesn't work the other way around - uninformed posters who have never owned a Renault are far more likely to say Renaults are crap than to say they're good. Because it's "common knowledge" :rolleyes: that Renaults are crap

Re: JD Power, the survey is a load of crap. As already stated it's about customer satisfaction which is not an objective way of looking at things. Look how the Skoda Fabia is joint 4th best car while its close cousin the Seat Ibiza is joint 97th. Even if Skoda dealers are better than Seat ones and allowing for the fact that the Skoda may be a bit cheaper there shouldn't be such a difference

The warranty claims table is a bit more useful than JD Power but still there are discrepancies, again look at how big a difference there is between different VAG makes. Renault does quite badly in this survey and a bit worse than many other makes but not that much worse if you study the figures. What this shows is that the exaggerated Renault bashing in this forum is OTT but any sensible person knew that already. Renaults may not be the most reliable cars in the world but if you were to believe a lot of the posts in this forum you'd swear you couldn't drive down to the shops in a Renault without breaking down. When someone exaggerates to try and prove their point it is usually a sign of a weak argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well I've got two Renaults - should I vote twice?

I have to go now, coddle & chips ready............

Bill

oops,
    john M

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

maidhc wrote:
    Avensis, Auris, and Yaris have been designed in France I think. Open to correction on that though.

Styling maybe, but the engines, mechanicals, electrics etc would all have been designed in Japan.

• Advertisement

overdriver wrote:
    I would appreciate it if you would drop the sarcasm and smart ar5e tone - it's not neccessary, and not helpful. It just creates a nasty "feel" to a thread.

I was looking at the chart JMHEG posted, which does indeed show the top 5 being Japanese.

And I would appreciate it if you posted correct informtion, not some crud you just made up.

What did I make up? I commented on a chart that was already present in the thread. What you mean is to make sure I commented on the right chart.
    The belligerence is still there, by the way. You need to work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I had a 2002 Renault Laguna Supersport.
    It was one of the most comfortable and nicest cars to drive that I 've owned
    But It gave me no end of trouble:
    Gearbox knackered after 19,000 miles
    Coils replaced 4 times
    CV joints replaced twice
    Window regulator replaced
    Theses were the major problems - there were mant minors ones aswell.
    The worst thing of all was the resale value - $h!t

overdriver wrote:
    What did I make up? I commented on a chart that was already present in the thread. What you mean is to make sure I commented on the right chart.
    The belligerence is still there, by the way. You need to work on that.

Yep, oki doki, you tottle on there pretending to know what you are talking about.
    There will be another bandwagon along any minute now for you to jump on.

For the last time, here is a CURRENT list of the top 10 most RELIABLE manufacturers.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top10.html?apc=3128339010848601

You will notice that Skoad lead, and that 3 of the top 5 are Japanese.

Which bandwagon am I already on, as I am waiting for "another"? This is so informative! It's "toddling", by the way.

I have to admire Skoda for the way they've transformed from the butt of jokes in the 70's and 80's to what they are now.

Worst performers:

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top10_worst.html?apc=3128339010848601

overdriver wrote:
    Which bandwagon am I already on, as I am waiting for "another"? This is so informative! It's "toddling", by the way.
    [/url]

Is there a snoring smiley?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That reliability index doesn't seem to make much sense:

VAG: Skoda, VW and SEAT all in the top 10. Audi in the bottom 10

Ford and Mazda in the top 5, Volvo somewhere in the middle and Land Rover and Jaguar in the bottom 5

Toyota not even in the top 10 most reliable cars and way worse than FIAT or Peugeot?

Subaru and Porsche about the least reliable cars of all? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I didn't vote BTW. I don't feel Renaults are as reliable as other European cars but I don't feel they're a pile of scrap either

As an aside: a lot of people here on boards seem to feel reliability is the be all and end all of cars. For me there is a lot more to cars than that

I suppose that would depend on what you use your car for. If you have access to public transport relatively easily, a break-down's not going to upset you as much as, say, a sales-rep who suddenly finds himself stranded miles from home.

Reliability is an important issue for me in my day-to-day transport. I have a classic for all the hairy stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    As an aside: a lot of people here on boards seem to feel reliability is the be all and end all of cars. For me there is a lot more to cars than that

I agree that there is a lot more to cars than reliability but reliability should be at least a fundamental principle of any car made i.e. get you to where you are going. Some manufactures these days seem to have sacrificed this in the name of less important features.

Remember according to most people a car is the second most important purchase in their life aside from a house. Style, flair, gadgetry, handling that puts a smile on your face, whatever, are all very well but absolutely of no use to you if the car spends more time in the garage with the service manager scratching his head, than on the road where it is meant to be.

BTW I didn't vote either as I have no first hand knowledge of Renaults.

Advertisement