Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Jam: Fast v's Slow lane

Options
  • 07-11-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Sitting in traffic as usual this morning i started to wonder which lane is faster in heavy traffic.

(My Choice) "Fast" Lane -
    No slip roads etc, but lots of people have the same idea!

Slow Lane -
    Slip roads and bus lane but always seems to move just as well

or

The lane your not in :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dceire wrote:
    Slow Lane -
    Slip roads and bus lane but always seems to move just as well
    If it's on a motorway, motorists will be leaving on the left lane which frees up some space.

Incidently, this morning was one of the busiest ever for traffic (in Dublin).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

dceire wrote:
    The lane your not in :rolleyes:

definitely

Pick a lane and stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think the only answer to your question is that both lanes will tend to balance out in a kind of equilibrium effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I use the driving lane all the way down the M50 during heavy traffic...I always pick a car using the overtaking lane as a marking point and not once have they ever beaten me, not once. You have so many people trying to merge into the overtaking lane that it keeps grinding to a halt which in turn frees up even more space in the driving lane, couple that with people exiting the motorway, it's consistently much quicker. (Shouldn't really be letting people know my secret :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Depends what junction is ahead and what time of day it is. If a lot of people are leaving at the next junction and not many joining the motorway then the driving lane is going to be faster. However if lots of people are joining the motorway then the overtaking lane is best to be in. Often it is best to be in the driving lane coming up to the off rampthen switch to the overtaking lane just before you come to the on-ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

you novices!!

on the M50 you should stay in the driving lane up until just after an exit. You then switch to the overtaking lane until about 300m before the next exit... when you switch back to the driving lane.

You can also choose to exit the motorway and merge back in again if you so wish... if you think the lights won't delay you... and if the merging back in isn't too backed up. It's a bit hit and miss.

If I'm not in the mood to do the above I just stick in the overtaking lane. It has less traffic joining (and trucks) which makes it move faster in general, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

3ps wrote:
    you novices!!

You can also choose to exit the motorway and merge back in again if you so wish... if you think the lights won't delay you... and if the merging back in isn't too backed up. It's a bit hit and miss.
    QUOTE]

:mad: :mad: Thats a big no no, there are signs on the Firhouse exit going north saying left or right turn only and there have been Gaurds on the junction many times catching people doing this.

This is like driving up the hard shoulder and if loads of people are doing this it increases the slowness of the motorway as cars have to be let merge back on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which lane is the fast lane and which is the slow lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Del2005 wrote:
    :mad: :mad: Thats a big no no, there are signs on the Firhouse exit going north saying left or right turn only and there have been Gaurds on the junction many times catching people doing this.

This is like driving up the hard shoulder and if loads of people are doing this it increases the slowness of the motorway as cars have to be let merge back on.
    How are the guards to know you didn't come off at the exit to see what the traffic is like on the lesser roads. I've come off at some exits after traffic was mental on the M50 only to find that it's worse on the lesser roads so I merge back on to the M50. What could they possibly charge you for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

fletch wrote:
    How are the guards to know you didn't come off at the exit to see what the traffic is like on the lesser roads. I've come off at some exits after traffic was mental on the M50 only to find that it's worse on the lesser roads so I merge back on to the M50. What could they possibly charge you for?
    They wouldn't charge you, they would just stop you going back onto the M50 and force you to take the lesser roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

fletch wrote:
    I use the driving lane all the way down the M50 during heavy traffic...I always pick a car using the overtaking lane as a marking point and not once have they ever beaten me, not once. You have so many people trying to merge into the overtaking lane that it keeps grinding to a halt which in turn frees up even more space in the driving lane, couple that with people exiting the motorway, it's consistently much quicker. (Shouldn't really be letting people know my secret :D)

That's exactly what I do, CBA with the hassle of changing lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

kbannon wrote:
    Which lane is the fast lane and which is the slow lane?
    Troll!!! :p

Advertisement