Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence in Sport

Options
  • 07-11-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭

I watched the International Rules game on Sunday & have to say I was appalled at the pretty-much non-stop violence on full view to kids who may have attended the match or watched it at home.

I'm a rugby fan myself & wouldn't have a problem bringing my son (he's 4) to watch a game. Also, I'd very much like him to get involved in as many team sports as he likes (hurling, gaelic football, soccer, rugby).

Part of any child's interest in sports comes from watching senior games as it gives the kids an idea as to what the game is played like at the highest (best?) level. Watching true sportsmen can foster the ethics of team work, leadership, fair play, etc. The "skills" displayed at senior level are often imitated in the playground.

To be honest, after watching the International Rules & some of the other top-level games, particularly GAA, recently I'd have serious reservations about letting my son attend those matches or watch them on the TV. I wouldn't like to think that my lad or any other child would think that punching the head off someone on the ground (or standing up for that matter) was in any way acceptable.

I'm sure that I'm not the only parent who thinks this. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kids need some level of violent play activity as part of their growing up? sport is a great way to channel agressive 'energy', what doesn't kill them just might make them stronger.

besides, just about everything we do these days is tamer and gentler than what was done in previous years... if kids back then managed, I think yours will too. They're not made of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Well to be honest i wouldnt encourage my children to knock some other child out or would i support other parents/managers doing same to mine or other kids at any age.My two eldest play football and hurling.

Having played soccer all my life and now im semi retired,i do agree it is far more violent now as when i was a youngster though it does toughen you up(on a positive note) alright which i agree with.Its the violence factor that is most worrying.

Its all that sham now on the tv nowadays which our children are looking at,a bit of boxing plays a part in all sports and is now repeated at younger levels in all sports.IMO it is getting out of hand.

I would not sit my kids and watch the international rules as i expected that to happen on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

The thin line between aggresive play and violence is the key here. There are many, many sportsmen and women who can play at a highly competative level without resorting to violence. Looking after yourself on the pitch and deliberately trying to injure an opponent are two completely different things, one is acceptable and one is not.

The key here is what you teach your child is acceptable and what is not. What is true for sport is true for all other parts of daily life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mordeth wrote:
    kids need some level of violent play activity as part of their growing up?
    I disagree. There's a world of a difference between playing vigorously & "violent play". Learning how to make a "robust" tackle for possession is one thing. Spear-tackling an opponent is another.
    Mordeth wrote:
    besides, just about everything we do these days is tamer and gentler than what was done in previous years... if kids back then managed, I think yours will too. They're not made of glass.
    That wasn't my point. I was raising the issue of violence in sport. Most sports necessitate kids to take knocks. However, punch-ups on the field are a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hill Billy wrote:
    I'm a rugby fan myself & wouldn't have a problem bringing my son (he's 4) to watch a game.

There's a world of a difference between playing vigorously & "violent play". Learning how to make a "robust" tackle for possession is one thing. Spear-tackling an opponent is another.
    Yeah, you'd never see a spear tackle in rugby :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hill Billy wrote:
    I'm sure that I'm not the only parent who thinks this. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Not a parent, but I was at that game + noticed the large numbers of young primary-school kiddies packing out the stands. I did wonder what kind of message about sport the brawling + the cheers and excited shouts from the crowd during it were giving them.

Advertisement