Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trooper Vs. Pajero & import Qs

Options
  • 07-11-2006 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a second hand SUV commercial notably a Mitsubishi Pajero. I've test-driven a few Isuzu Troopers over the last few weeks. I'm considering going for a Pajero because they're a bit more luxurious than the Trooper (which is a workhorse and a beast!)

Im in two minds with regards which to go for

Trooper Pros
    1. It's a beast
    2. It's usually a younger model i.e; an 00 for the same price as a '96 Pajero

Trooper Cons
    1. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as a Pajero
    2. It's a bit of a tractor to drive compared to the Pajero
    3. It's not as refined

Pajero Pros
    1. It holds its value better than the Trooper
    2. It's not as cumbersome
    3. nicer looking?

Pajero Cons
    1. Older model for the same price as the Trooper
    2. Older model = higher mileage
    3. price is high

I've been looking at a site witha number of Pajero commercials on it and it turns out they're all Jap imports.

Is this something to be wary of? Whats the difference between a Jap import Pajero and a non-Jap import Pajero?

Which should I go for and why?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Import Mitsubishis would have said "MMC" (Mitsubishi Motor Corp.) instead of "Mitsubishi" on the back of them up until a certain time (not sure when, some time around the mid 90s). The number plate holder will be different on the back - there will be two clips holding the bottom of the plate and it will be more rectangular than the standard Irish square-ish plates (unless they've just slapped on a normal plate).

Speedos will be in km/h only. Warning stickers (like those on sun visors) will be in Japanese if they're still there. They often seem to have a small third wing mirror further down the left wing. They may not have rear fog lights (I assume they're standard on local models). Japanese FM radios go from 76 to 90 MHz instead of 87.5-108 (stereo may be replaced though) - adaptors are available, but the radio will still display the wrong frequencies.

Can't remember about Pajeros, but (up until recently) if a Japanese car has front indicators that go around to the side of the wings they don't need indicator repeaters further up the wing (they'll just have a pointy bit coming out the one indicator). Euro-spec Pajeros will have a separate indicator repeater between the front door and wheelarch.

You'll definately notice an import Trooper - it will be called an Isuzu Bighorn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Thanks for that.

So what do you reckon...... Pajero or Trooper?

Is there anything I should be wary of on the import Pajeros?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Pajeros Rust.

Also, they are very low (as in head room wise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Beware of the imports.. the mileage is nearly ALWAYS clocked. The boat over is a factory all repairs, strip downs etc happen on route as does the clocking.. No service history is required in the importation so it's rife with dodgy mileage. Also the imports tend to smoke like F**K on emissions in the DOE.. make sure it DOE'd before you buy. And prepare yourself for a nightmare next year!

IF i'm being nosy tell me to feck off.. but have you really the need to buy a fuel guzzling killer on the environment?? They eat feul and pump the air with fumes.. handling is not nearly as good as it should.. Don't get me wrong the SUV has replaced the GTI and i've convinced myself to steer clear with much deliberation even though i need a vehicle to pull a 20ft trailer with boat on top..

Also keep your ear to the ground because the government are gonna cash in and change the taxation on these vehicles soon.. based on emmisions.. and currently the insurance companies are covering themselves by no commercial users claiming to use commercial vehicles to get cheaper tax..

something's gonna give... soon.

And last point.. the market is swamped with pajero's - very hard to re-sell on.. i think the 00 / 01 troopers were all recalled with defects.. make sure to get proof of the jeeps re-call or trouble is in the post..

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

stifz wrote:
    Also keep your ear to the ground because the government are gonna cash in and change the taxation on these vehicles soon.. based on emmisions.. and currently the insurance companies are covering themselves by no commercial users claiming to use commercial vehicles to get cheaper tax..

something's gonna give... soon.

Do you have a source for this or is it simply speculation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Do not buy a 3.0 Trooper, i've worked on numerous in the past few years and they are BAD! The old 3.1 engine was relatively bulletproof but the 3.0 has serious issues, this is why they're cheaper than pajeros, just look in buyandsell at the no of ads "00/01 3.0 trooper engine needs attention" sorry to burst the bubble for anyone that owns one. Few garages even carrying out conversions back to 3.1 engine ie:Taking your 01 3.0 Trooper and fitting it with 1996 3.1 engine, says it all. Pajero is ok but still no Landcruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

It was on the radio news last week.. gov are looking into re-organising taxation on the basis of emissions rather than engine size. Really the same thing i guess - i don't claim to be an expert.. but i'd imagine the target is leaned towards SUV's as we are being hit with EU penalities for High emissions.. in fairness collecting the kids from school in a 3.0ltr is a bit over kill>>

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/31/story283241.html

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

stifz wrote:
    It was on the radio news last week.. gov are looking into re-organising taxation on the basis of emissions rather than engine size. Really the same thing i guess - i don't claim to be an expert.. but i'd imagine the target is leaned towards SUV's as we are being hit with EU penalities for High emissions.. in fairness collecting the kids from school in a 3.0ltr is a bit over kill>>

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/31/story283241.html

Oh right, thought you were talking about changing the tax on commercials from €252 a year. That would have upset me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just get a Land Cruiser.

Advertisement