Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1994 BMW 325TD - Opinions

Options
  • 07-11-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My cousin has just bought this car and knows nowt about it ie. BHP, reliability and other such small matters. Can anyone help? I've tried googling but results are kinda thin on the ground. He reckons there's 120k on the clock - but I seriously doubt that ie. its a 12 year old BMW diesel. But anyhoo :o

All comments appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data.aspx?model=91
    Theres an 'Owners Review' section that might help with opinions as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Gatster wrote:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data.aspx?model=91
    Theres an 'Owners Review' section that might help with opinions as well

Thanks! That site is actually very decent.

Now he's already talking about getting it remapped and getting the boost turned up - with a view to pushing 150bhp out of it. Is this totally rediculous or am I just not seeing the light?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

connundrum wrote:
    Thanks! That site is actually very decent.

Now he's already talking about getting it remapped and getting the boost turned up - with a view to pushing 150bhp out of it. Is this totally rediculous or am I just not seeing the light?

Do you mean chipping it? Most modern 320Ds do 150BHP as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that the same engine that was in the Omega?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

connundrum wrote:
    It's quite doable, but I'd advise making sure the engine is in good shape to start with. I don't know much about chipping turbo diesels, but it's vital with turbo petrols that the chip be written by someone who knows what they're doing. Upping boost without increasing fuelling is still very common, and it will quickly lead to a blown engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Does the ECU manage the fueling of a 325tds? I'd suspect it is a completely mechanical affair, but I could be wrong.

It is an Omega engine. They have a reputation for liking their oil from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

It's a BMW engine AFAIK but it was used in the omega alright,which doesn't neccessarily take from it!
    the td differed from the tds in not having an intercooler,so if you're looking to upgrade power I'd start by putting one of these in first before fiddling with the boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    Does the ECU manage the fueling of a 325tds? I'd suspect it is a completely mechanical affair, but I could be wrong.
    I have absolutely no idea. Would running lean lead to detonation in a diesel in the same way that it would in a petrol? I'd guess that, if the fuelling can't be altered, then the boost shouldn't be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Diesels always run lean. The fuel is not injected until near TDC of the compression stroke, so you shouldn't have the same probems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Anan1 wrote:
    It's quite doable, but I'd advise making sure the engine is in good shape to start with. I don't know much about chipping turbo diesels, but it's vital with turbo petrols that the chip be written by someone who knows what they're doing. Upping boost without increasing fuelling is still very common, and it will quickly lead to a blown engine.

I'd definitely agree with Anan1 on this point, its a bit late in the day to be modifying this engine without blowing it up sooner rather than later. A good car by all accounts but regular oil change is vital. Its the same engine as the Opel Omega and the Range Rover 2.5 turbo diesel, I've seen 200k miles plus on them without any major problems. The only other problems I've come across with the 3 series BMW is the window winder regulator and motor and occasionally the door locks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Cheers lads, passed on all that info!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    It is an Omega engine

No it's a BMW engine but it was used in other cars like the Omega iirc

Will last forever but it's old skool. If you like tractors, you'll like this engine. Plus point is that you could convert it to run on dirt(y) cheap waste oil from your local chipper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    No it's a BMW engine but it was used in other cars like the Omega iirc

Indeed. Big selling point at the time too IIRC.
    unkel wrote:
    Will last forever but it's old skool. If you like tractors, you'll like this engine.

Tractors are gone common rail now as well. Whats more, they are remapping them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    Tractors are gone common rail now as well. Whats more, they are remapping them too.
    :eek:

So what will we use now to refer to old skool diesels?

Advertisement