Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scratches on glass

Options
  • 07-11-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one has a way to get rid of small scratches on windowpanes? Is there some kind of filler?
    My builder was a bit overenthusiastic cleaning down the place and there must have been grit on the cloth he used to clean the windows! But it’s not so bad that the windows need to be replaced (at least it seems a bit of overkill for a few scratches)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We have the same problem, couldn't find much info other than a paste that can be used, but could only find it online in America. Haven't done anything about it since, but we will have to replace a few panes including 2 french doors :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

same thing happen with us. every pane was scratched - plastered had to replace them all. It depends how deep the mark is. The company who supplied the windows maybe able to polish them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

I would also love to know the answer (if there is one ) to removing scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

I heard they dip Waterford Chrystal in a powerful acid to polish them after cutting. It seems the acic can't be stored in glass bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Our window supplier told us that if you have soft coated argon glass and the plasterers and others ruin them with mortar, plaster etc and you have to use a paint scraper or similar implement on the surface to lift the debris it will scratch it. They did not offer any solution to fix the problem. Must ask them again as our windows have lots and lots of scratches too. Annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Any ideas..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I remember hearing before that Brasso on a cloth can be used for polishing scratches out of the likes of watch faces, etc. Never tried it myself but I wonder if it would work on window glass?

Advertisement