Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows LAN repair: Renewing your IP address error message on Dell Inspiron 2500

• 07-11-2006 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Have a dell running XP home SP2 with Internet access through USB port, either via a wireless or wired connection.
    Both worked fine for several years and in the last day or so have just stopped allowing internet access, initially intermitttently and now the problem is permanent.
    "the page cannot be displayed"

There are no errors in device manager for the USB

network connection shows to be connected but the repair step fails to complete, hence the tiltle of the thread.

cmd line ipconfig/ release and renew dont help, on the renew it says the lan is connected 100Mbps

however it cant see the router when I ping it

IE/tools/internet options/connections/ lan settings is set to auto detect.

there are no funnies in windows/system32/drivers/etc/host just 127.0.0.1 localhost

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

edit 1156 am I removed MSN explorer and the internet worked for a few minutes after that and then stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Probably more of a networking problem than a laptop problem, so we will see how we get on.

Start off by pinging some sites outside of Ireland, for example www.microsoft.com or www.intel.com. Forget about Internet Explorer for the time being.

Then, to narrow down where the problem is, see if you can do a tracert to microsoft.com or intel.com. Format for the command is
    tracert www.microsoft.com

This will tell you if you are getting beyond your router or if you are getting beyond your ISP (I've had situations where I couldn't get outside of BT, so it wasn't my problem it was theirs).

My gut instinct is some crappy "security" software - what have you got installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I am a newbie re pc' s so How do you ping a web address
    cmd
    ping ??

Will check the security stuff later.

Any value in upgrading to XP professional from the pre-installed dell xp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

If ya could run through the following things and copy and paste the output here it'd help:

start->run->cmd

"ipconfig /all"
    "nslookup www.rte.ie"
    "ping www.rte.ie"
    "tracert www.rte.ie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Add a static ip rather than a DHCP assigned ip.

Edit: aye, dhcp was meant. Too much network stuff going on atm :(

ircoha wrote:
    I am a newbie re pc' s so How do you ping a web address
    cmd
    ping ??

Will check the security stuff later.

Any value in upgrading to XP professional from the pre-installed dell xp?

No real value in upgrading to XP Professional. If you don't know what it has, you don't need it. :)

As for ping, you ping a website in the same manner you ping your router. i.e. ping www.microsoft.com at the command prompt. Same for tracert.
    kaimera wrote:
    Add a static ip rather than a dns assigned ip.

Judging by ircoha's questions, I think this would only confuse matters at this stage. I am sure you meant DHCP assigned ip, didn't you ;)

• Advertisement

thanks for replies.

I disabled the firewall in the antivirus software and I now have i-net access.

I have the same software on 5 other computers running XP pro and it works without the need to disable the firewall.

the antivirus is www.bitdefender.com

ircoha wrote:
    I disabled the firewall in the antivirus software and I now have i-net access.

Goddammit I'm good. :D

It's a setting in the firewall that is blocking acces to what sounds like pretty much everything. You just need to go in to the settings and fiddle around. Or something.

good, no.
    v good, yes
    Thanks

Advertisement