Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso van in Maynooth

Options
  • 07-11-2006 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Please be aware that there's a Gatsovan (07.11.06) pointing towards the M4 as you're coming into Maynooth just past the turnoff for Rathcoffey and on the opposite side to the Esso station.

It's a white one and it's parked up on the path.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

good man, im gonna be on that road myself in less than an hour. i owe you a pint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I was only saying to somebody last week that I'm suprised they never stuck one on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Great work on road safety yet again. Was just looking at the 2004 Road Collision Facts report (2004 is latest report available) from the NRA and 0.8% of fatal or injury collisions occured on motorways. 70% of all collisions occur on rural roads yet they consistantly target safe motorways and dual carriageways with their speed traps :-/

Have a look at the attached tables:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the OPs points was that it wasn't on the motorway but on the busy urban road into Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

mloc123 wrote:
    I was only saying to somebody last week that I'm suprised they never stuck one on that road.

It is there on and off every couple of months, nearly in the same location all the time - up on the foot-path & the cycle-path opposite Carton Court estate and Esso

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

To be fair, there are cars that boot up and down that stretch of road. It's not a bad location. However, I reckon that it's positioned to catch you just as you enter the 50 zone from the 60 zone. I could be wrong.

Shouldn't they have it a little further down where it would really get those who are speeding and not simply those still decelerating from 60 to 50 gradually?

Maybe that's too simplistic a view?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

To be fair, there are cars that boot up and down that stretch of road. It's not a bad location. However, I reckon that it's positioned to catch you just as you enter the 50 zone from the 60 zone. I could be wrong.

Shouldn't they have it a little further down where it would really get those who are speeding and not simply those still decelerating from 60 to 50 gradually?

Maybe that's too simplistic a view?

valid point, agree with you entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How far do you need to achieve this? How about allowing people grace on say stop lines. Say and extra 10m?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'm surprised they haven't stuck one outside the Straffan Lodge Hotel yet. People be bombing it down the road from Straffan/Clane direction, especially in the morning. I'm a fecker for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Victor wrote:
    How far do you need to achieve this? How about allowing people grace on say stop lines. Say and extra 10m?

does boards have a rep system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 burner

If a Gatso van or speed detection Camera takes a picture of your vehicle from the front, as well as recording/imaging your registration plate, will it show the entire front of the car like the windscreen in order to identify the drivers?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Great work on road safety yet again. Was just looking at the 2004 Road Collision Facts report (2004 is latest report available) from the NRA and 0.8% of fatal or injury collisions occured on motorways. 70% of all collisions occur on rural roads yet they consistantly target safe motorways and dual carriageways with their speed traps :-/

Have a look at the attached tables:

Yeah cos whats needed to reduce accidents is to put a speed camera around a blind bend on a country road, that wont shock anyone into veering into a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Please be aware that there's a Gatsovan (07.11.06) pointing towards the M4 as you're coming into Maynooth just past the turnoff for Rathcoffey and on the opposite side to the Esso station.

It's a white one and it's parked up on the path.

Is this in the 60kph or 50 kph zone? Been a few months since I drove in Maynooth (lived there two and a half years ago, go back to the university regularly). Is it in the small lay-by just before the Esso and new Meadowbrook/Rathcoffey turn-off...as in just before the Lidl turn on the right)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

burner wrote:
    If a Gatso van or speed detection Camera takes a picture of your vehicle from the front, as well as recording/imaging your registration plate, will it show the entire front of the car like the windscreen in order to identify the drivers?

Thanks
    No, the Gatso just takes a picture of the car's reg plate and immediate surrounding area.

This Gatso van has been doing the rounds around north Kildare. It was parked on the back road into Prosperous a couple of months ago. Pity it isn't positioned out on the back roads proper where the boy racers piss around at well over the speed limit. Suppose its easier to catch drivers a few kph over the limit in towns than catching the real lunatics who cause serious crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Pity it isn't positioned out on the back roads proper where the boy racers piss around at well over the speed limit.

Like the Polish registered car that passed me on the backroads going from RathCoffey to Maynooth at five past two in the morning. I was doing 100kmh and the little Fiesta overtook me as if I was standing still. :( I was sure I'd see them overturned on the road ahead of me with the way the car was bounding on the uneven surface!

Advertisement