Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Restaurants

Options
  • 07-11-2006 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Going for weekend to Cork with Hubbie in a few weeks and looking for a nice restaurant (for his birthday)
    Anyone been to/recommend these:
    Jacques Restaurant
    Probys Bistro
    Greens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I deliver to a lot of restaurants in cork and have eaten in a lot of them. Greens is good, also Currans just off north main street (nearly opp dunnes stores) Cafe Mexicana is very good, careys lane ( make sure you book) If you are oustide of cork in Youghal Aherns is the best! luigi malones opp cork opera house is very good too - best deserts ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Been to em all.

Danger Mouse some of the places you are suggesting there are more cheap and cheerful than gourmet luxury!

Jacques all the way for me. Greens second. I wouldn't be in a rush back to Proby's.

If you like something different maybe the Ivory Tower. Issacs is also nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Greenes - ask for a table near the waterfall when booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Greenes - ask for a table near the waterfall when booking.
    Seconded. It's really nice there in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

My favourite - The Ivory Tower. Prix Fixe menu. Always unusual items on the menu, e.g. Oyster Bloody Mary. Top notch food with an asian influence, sometimes even some sushi on the menu. chef is Seamus O'Connell - had a show on RTE a year or two ago - 'Soul food'.

Also love Aherne's in Youghal. BAr food is great, restaurant is excellent, but pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Kold wrote:
    Seconded. It's really nice there in the evening.

I find it very noisy if you want to have a conversation. Would recommend Ristorante Casanova on North Main Street. Fantastic food, service and ambience, Ask for a downstairs table - you run the risk of being near a large group upstairs.

Was at Jacques - found it overpriced for only alright food. Luigi's is good, but more as a laid back place to go - almost like a cafe bar of McDowell fame than a restaurant. Great food though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

... Cafe Mexicana is very good, careys lane ( make sure you book) ...

A note about cafe mexicana, I have lived a great many years in america (most of my life) and particularly in texas and california. Cafe Mexicana is more like california mexican food than say texaas, or even central mexico. Now, northern mexican food is similar to california mexican food, almost identical (mostly where a lot of the mexican cooks that come into california appear to come from).

I was suprised at how similar it was to what I had both in northern mexico and california. The only caveat is that they dont have the plastic bins to put tortillas in so they can dry out if you dont eat them right away. Other than that it was quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i like zanzibar,savage feed and veryreasonable,quick service.
    also castellini's is nice

Another pointer on Cafe Mexicano... Totally Overratted!!!!!

Is there a different non-overrated mexican restaurant in cork?

I like Amicus, Gambeinies (sp?), scoozis, and good ol Luigi Malones!

I spent too many years in the new york city area to like scoozis, for me italian food has to be prepared a certain way with certain quality ingredients, and have flavour. Scoozis didnt do it for me, but from what I have heard a lot of corkians like it, so I will write that off as a cultural difference (much like I do with italian food virtually everywhere except parts of italy, parts of austria *right* on the border with italy and new york city).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Not that i know of anyway.... Alot of people here were talking about it so i tried it a few weeks ago. My opinion was that the Service was slow, Food was tasty(beef burito), 'club orange' was cheap flat tesco shoite, It was also freezing in there too.

T.Sc.

I ate there once, the service was good, but it wasnt that busy either. Maybe it was a little slow in terms of getting my order in, I was by myself, so I may have written it off as just boredom. I had a soda which was fine, they dont have dos equis amber (I dont like the dos equis pilsner only their lager). The tortillas were dry, which I can forgive since they may not know about the plastic bins here not being as competitive in the mexican food market, I dont know. The bins are designed to keep the tortillas warm and somewhat moist (but not soggy) for like an hour.

I ate there 2 months ago, and even today I dont think its cold but I almost never think its that cold (unless I am tired or its high winds and wet). It wasnt cold then, at least to me. I realize that I am a horrible judge of whether or not its cold because I really dont know half the time if it is to a 'normal' person. I cant comment on that one.

I do agree the food was tasty, having been born in california (and ate both in mexico and california for much of my childhood), and lived there for the last 6 years out of 7, I can attest that the food is highly similar to what you get there.

For those that dont know, mexican food is different from south american and spanish food. Even central america is a bit different, and there are different styles of mexican food. Its not for everyone, and this is why I have tried to go into detail about what region of mexico the food is most similar to.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I like the Cafe Mexicana - whether the food is authentic or not, I don't know, but I've always found it tasty.

I used to be a big fan of the Ivory Tower, but after eating there at lunchtime one day, I'm never going back. The food was microwaved and showed an utter lack of respect for the customer.

I don't think that there is any great Italian restaurant in the city. But the best of a bad lot is Il Padrino, especially since they've expanded it.

I've been to the Pembroke a few times, and I'm neutral about it. Average menus, well cooked food, but just not a fan.

For chinese, try Starvast on Prince's Street. Very Very good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Went to Casanova on north main st tonight, food was lovely, you can probably smeel teh garlic off me from france, :D loev

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Where's Greens btw?

T.Sc.

Greenes is on Mac Curtain St, side entrance by Isaacs.

Il Padrino - I've always found them very heavy handed with the salt!

Casanova - A friend of mine always raved about it until she got a pasta dish there once which was frozen in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Heron

Just on the Mexican thing, a lovely new stall opened today at the Farmers Market in Mahon today serving yummy fajitas, and the chef is a real mexican! She also has other stuff, but it's only the first day so I couldn't try everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

My favourites in Cork...

[Cheap]
    Wagamama (fast food noodle bar, good food, but probably not "special" enough for a birthday treat).
    Amicus (burgers 'n' stuff)
    Quay Co-op (veggie)

[Medium]
    Starvast (Chinese)
    Banna Thai
    Isaac's (European, again maybe a bit noisy and crowded for a birthday treat)
    Casanova (Italian)

[Slightly more expensive]
    Lal Quila (Excellent Indian, out in Douglas unfortunately)
    Greene's
    Paradiso (veggie, very good, if a bit expensive)
    Blair's Inn (Irish/European, a few miles out of town)

Unfortunately I don't know much about the really expensive places :)

I'd steer clear of Luigi Malone's or Curran's unless it's only a burger you're after. Also, I was in Proby's recently and thought it had improved a lot. Anyone try the new restaurant at Hayfield Manor? I've heard it's good and not as expensive as you might expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Hey guys,
    I'm heading down to the girlfriends on Friday evening, it's our 6th months together that weekend. I'm planning to take her shopping (in town), well, to go shopping with her :) Saturday morning. We'll see the new Bond film at 2, and get out around 5ish.

I need to be on a bus at 7pm, so I'm looking for a place that's quiet, slightly romantic (not a necessity), but casual and one where I don't need a reservation, and they need to be quick. Food wise, I'd like a steak! So somewhere I can get that.

I also need to know exactly where it is, I don't know cork city at all...
    Help is greatly appreciated, I don't wanna take her to a fast food place this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Not that many nice places open early.

I'm not sure what the opening hours are, but the Crawford Art Gallery Ballymaloe Cafe might be a good option. Its open the same hours as the gallery, so probably closes 6 at the latest. Food is top notch.

Il Padrino on Prince's Street between the South Mall & Oliver Plunkett Street or Currans Adelaide Street just around the corner from the Gate cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I agree with you about Il Padrino...always enjoyed eating there. Food is good, service is prompt, prices reasonable and nice comfortable atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Has anyone not suggested Star Anice?? (spelling?). On Bridge Street...supposed to be very nice place..never been myself though.

Star Anise is lush but dear....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

and for the vegitarian, though it may be a little out of the way, cafe paradiso, out the western road next to the thirsty scholar. great food even if yer not a veggie. the quay co-op is a good spot for lunch also.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

and for the vegitarian, though it may be a little out of the way, cafe paradiso, out the western road next to the thirsty scholar. great food even if yer not a veggie. the quay co-op is a good spot for lunch also.
    You would want to book Cafe Paradiso but its well worth it for a special occasion (its not cheap) even for confirmed carnivores like myself. The Quay Co-Op is good but a bit less special.

Have to say that the Spice of India (out by the Bishopstown Bar) is an excellent choice if your looking for an Indian. I'll stop as I'm making myself hungry....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

anymore recommendations me and the boyfriend looking to go for dinner thursday (going out 5years)
    has anyone tried milano's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Was in it over the weekend, it was nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

The four liars near the butter market is very nice and reasonably priced. Bistro type food and their Wiener Schnitzel is superb :-). They have a website too with all the menus ... http://www.fourliarsbistro.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

anymore recommendations me and the boyfriend looking to go for dinner thursday (going out 5years)

Milano's is the same whatever city you're in. Grand but nothing special. If you've got an anniversary to celebrate try somewhere a little more special. Is there any particular type of food you'd prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For italian, il padrino's (cook st.) and cassa nova ( north main st.) are fabulous.

the nakon thai out in douglas is great too, but i dunno do you want to trek out that far. and there's some fabulous italian in carraigline im told, but i cant remeber what it's called off hand.

Advertisement