Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crack in windscreen. What to do?

Options
  • 07-11-2006 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Just discovered a crack in my windscreen. Quite small but there none the less. Obviously went over a stone. Do I need to replace the whole windscreen or can this be treated to stop it spreading? It's about an inch long. Will it suddenly develop into a massive break as I'm tootling along the motorway?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It could develop into a larer crack if another stone hits it. Check to see if your insurance will replace it for nowt!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually cracks slowly get bigger and generally as the weather gets colder. Most chips smaller than a 2 euro coin can be repaired - not too sure about small cracks tho. Most insurances policies cover windscreen replacement without affecting your NCB. See if you're covered for the windscreen and then go to one of their approved repairers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tiggs

yes most insureance company's do and they will come to you to get it fixed!!!!

Can I ask someone in here for help plesea?? How do I post a new thread?????

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

tiggs wrote:
    Can I ask someone in here for help plesea?? How do I post a new thread?????

Click on the big "New Thread" button on the top left hand side of the forum home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tiggs

cheers for that but am not seeing that Big button!! thats the prob!!!

ah well!!!!

cheers for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just be warned, Quinn Direct don't cover windscreens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Stephen wrote:
    Just be warned, Quinn Direct don't cover windscreens.

they do you just have to add the option to your policy. extra 30 quid i think. i remember specifically making sure i had it when i was getting a quote off them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When was that? When I took out my policy nearly about 10 months ago they said they didn't, but you get a discount rate from their preferred windscreen fitters.
    Although that was a TPF&T policy. I upgraded to fully comp when I changed my car in April, maybe its covered under that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

If you do this immediately, this might help. There is a product that can be put on a crack like this to stop it spreading. Go to a windscreen shop and enquire there. But the crack cannot have let in any moisture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Stephen wrote:
    When was that? When I took out my policy nearly about 10 months ago they said they didn't, but you get a discount rate from their preferred windscreen fitters.
    Although that was a TPF&T policy. I upgraded to fully comp when I changed my car in April, maybe its covered under that?

tis on my proposal form that arrived in the post last night anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I asked them about this about 6 weeks ago..

They don't cover it on existing fully comp customers. You can add it but they'l charge you for it, and you can only do it at renewal time. You will lose your NCB if you claim for it otherwise. :mad:

Contrast that with a friend's insurance company (AXA I think) who cover 2 replacements a year, free and without affecting your NCB

Advertisement