Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Skool RPG

Options
  • 07-11-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I was considering a trip back in time to try out a couple of the well known RPG's I missed back in the day.

I have fond memories of hours spent in front of the two Baldurs Gate games and ones like them.

So in a bout of nostalgia this morning I decided to buy the Fallout Collection and give that a lash for the week!!! Also was trying to find Planescape Torment locally but nothing so far (other than ebay)

Has anybody got any memories/comments on the two mentioned or if anybody wants to reccomend anymore it'd be appreciated. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The Secret of Mana .... good game, even has multiplayer

Zelda: A link to the Past .... ahh the memories of wandering around lost for hours and to sudenly find something like a pineapple and it all become clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Rabies wrote:
    The Secret of Mana .... good game, even has multiplayer

:)

Brilliant game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

While playing some of the most recent rpg's (Neverwinter 2 and Dark Messiah), i'm always reminded of how small and shallow they seem to my all time favourite, Baldurs Gate 2. I spent more time playing that game then any other. Its had pretty much everything i wanted. Great main quest, hundreds of side quests, excellent character quests. And Throne of Bhaal was excellent, bringing the story to a close.

The only other one i always remember, is Final Fantasy VII. I know its more of a console rpg, but it has more memorable moments then any other game for me. Actually, Ocarina of Time also sticks out as one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terranigma - the single best RPG of the 16bit generation. Overlooked because it was released towards the end of the SNES' life and didn't get a US release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Terranigma is called Eartbound over here. You can get the prequel dubbed Earthbound zero in rom form in English for any NES emulator. The english translated prototype version was found recently. It is 100% playable and translated. It's strange that Nintendo never released it despite putting the effort into translating it. Any word on an english release of Mother 3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Well, its not been mentioned yet (shame on you retro ;) )

But if you have not played it yet, then you really should have a dabble at Suidoken.

Other old school RPG's I would have on my list would be

- Ultima4 on the master system (played that for hours and hours, never did complete it)
    - Breath of Fire on the PS1
    - NetHack on some old old PC ... oh that was great :D

but, Suidoken is the best :x

I really liked the first Baldurs gate, but I never got over the feeling I had been robbed when I couldn't play the second with the entire team I had finished the first with

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Terranigma is called Eartbound over here. You can get the prequel dubbed Earthbound zero in rom form in English for any NES emulator. The english translated prototype version was found recently. It is 100% playable and translated. It's strange that Nintendo never released it despite putting the effort into translating it. Any word on an english release of Mother 3?
    Not at all -- Earthbound is a MUCH earlier Nintendo game, better known as Mother 2. It's a trad turn-based RPG.
    Terranigma was a single-player action-RPG in the mould of Secret of Mana, by Enix.

Anyway, Mother 3 appears to have been cancelled for the West -- AGAIN! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Adom. Can't get much more oldskool than ASCII dungeon crawlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

One of my favourite old school stuff was the Eye Of The Beholder series.

Also cant talk about RPG's without mentioning Dungeon Master

[edit] Nethack is actually still going, and still played by a suprising amount of people, especially in the *nix world. You can download it here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Not at all -- Earthbound is a MUCH earlier Nintendo game, better known as Mother 2. It's a trad turn-based RPG.
    Terranigma was a single-player action-RPG in the mould of Secret of Mana, by Enix. [\Quote]

Right. Always get them confused.
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Anyway, Mother 3 appears to have been cancelled for the West -- AGAIN! :(

Sometimes I f*cking hate Nintendo.

If you want an RPG that has a fantastic story there isn't anything better than Suikoden 2 (Yes, shame on me for not mentioning it yet).

• Advertisement
Advertisement