Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 Reg's on the 1st of January?

Options
  • 07-11-2006 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

This is following on from the previous thread i posted. I'm wondering how come the 1st January every year you see a few 06/07 (whichever year is new) cars. Even though apparently the office does not open till lets say the 3rd or 4th of January. So how come some cars can get done and put on the new years plates before the office opens back up to register these cars? Don't get me wrong thats exactly how it should happen, its silly leaving everyone wait till the first day they open on the new year, surley it would be best to have some done. So what i'm wondering is how this is done for certain people? Thanks :p

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Alot of people will order their car months in advance of the new year!! I think what happens in a dealership is that you have an online reg system and you provide the plates etc to the car!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The car can be bought & registered in advance - just not driven on the public roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

And can it be provided to a private house for storage? Is this definite the dealer can register the car before the 1st of January for a new reg? Let's say the car was imported to an irish dealer from the uk and then being sold onto a customer. May it have to be seen by offices come January for any reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

From Oasis...............

Reserving a vehicle registration number

You can only apply to reserve a vehicle registration number plate on or after the 1st November of the year before you intend to bring the vehicle into use. In other words, you can only apply to reserve a vehicle registration number plate on or after 1 November 2006 to use this plate in 2007.

The number you reserve must be in the normal format and must correspond with the licensing authority area where you normally reside and the year in which the vehicle is to be first brought into use, i.e., 07-D-77 may only be reserved by someone living in Dublin for a vehicle intended to be brought into use in the year 2007.

The registered owner of the vehicle on which the plates are to be displayed must be the person in whose name the number was reserved. You cannot transfer a reserved number.

All registration numbers are available for reservation with the exception of the first number of each year issued in the following cities - Cork, Dublin, Limerick and Waterford. These registration plates are then 07-C-1, 07-D-1, 07-L-1 and 07-W-1. These plates are reserved for the Mayor/Lord Mayor of each of these cities and are not available for reservation by anyone else.

A reserved registration number can only be assigned to a vehicle when it has been reached in the normal sequence. It may not be displayed on a vehicle before it has been formally assigned by the Revenue Commissioners following the presentation and acceptance of a completed declaration for registration.

Applications will be processed on receipt of the first post on the fourth working day of November; this is to allow time for postal applications to be received.

No priority will be given to applications received before this date.

An available number may be provisionally reserved by sending a completed application form by fax on the fourth working day of November to the Central Vehicle Office once the initial selection process has been completed. Provisional reservations will be conditional on the fee being received within three working days. If not received within this time, the number will again be made available for reservation by someone else

Yes i know about reserving i'm wondering more about getting a car on the road on the 1st of January instead of waiting until the office opens and clears the backolg of newly registered cars. Because as far as i remeber from past experiances you need to bring the car down to the offices for it to be checked out on the first day their open in the new year?

• Advertisement

The VRO offices? Why would you need to do that?

If you import a brand new car from england and want to register it as a 07 then i guess that's why? My last car had to be brought to the vro office what i'm wondering i guess is would they do that before it's registered, then you can register it before january and i guess drive it on the road once the 1st comes?

Right - I was presuming it was a car taken from a dealer here and the case would not require the VRO to inspect the car.

crosstownk wrote:

A reserved registration number can only be assigned to a vehicle when it has been reached in the normal sequence. It may not be displayed on a vehicle before it has been formally assigned by the Revenue Commissioners following the presentation and acceptance of a completed declaration for registration.

So basically as kbannon stated - it cannot be on public roads. The number is not official until the sequence has been reached - So 07-D-2 cannot be assigned officially until 07-D-1 has been assigned.

So to answer your question - you cannot drive in 2006 with 2007 plates on display as the number is provisionally reserved rather than assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

crosstownk wrote:
    From Oasis...............

Reserving a vehicle registration number

All registration numbers are available for reservation with the exception of the first number of each year issued in the following cities - Cork, Dublin, Limerick and Waterford. These registration plates are then 07-C-1, 07-D-1, 07-L-1 and 07-W-1. These plates are reserved for the Mayor/Lord Mayor of each of these cities and are not available for reservation by anyone else.

There are more important issues for councillors and Lord Mayors regarding the running of cities than wasting money on number plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

G Luxel wrote:
    There are more important issues for councillors and Lord Mayors regarding the running of cities than wasting money on number plates.
    Where is the money wasted? The numbers are always allocated to them. There is no payment made.

crosstownk wrote:
    So to answer your question - you cannot drive in 2006 with 2007 plates on display as the number is provisionally reserved rather than assigned.

My bad for explaining this terribly. What i'm getting at is i've seen cars on the 1st driving aorund with the new years number plate. I was wondering how as obviously the offices and garages ar enot open until about the 3rd, depeniding on the dates and days. Obviously you cant drive around in 06 with an 07 but i'm wondering what is the way to enable you to drive around on the 1st of january with an 07 without having to get the car from your 'closed' dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They probably get the car from the dealer at the end of the december. An employee of the dealer can drive it around on green garage plates. Then store it at their home until the 1st?

Funxy wrote:
    My bad for explaining this terribly. What i'm getting at is i've seen cars on the 1st driving aorund with the new years number plate. I was wondering how as obviously the offices and garages ar enot open until about the 3rd, depeniding on the dates and days. Obviously you cant drive around in 06 with an 07 but i'm wondering what is the way to enable you to drive around on the 1st of january with an 07 without having to get the car from your 'closed' dealer.

The number cannot be formally assigned until 2007. You will have to wait until the 2nd of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Funxy wrote:
    If you import a brand new car from england and want to register it as a 07 then i guess that's why? My last car had to be brought to the vro office what i'm wondering i guess is would they do that before it's registered, then you can register it before january and i guess drive it on the road once the 1st comes?

There is a car in Owen Crinnigan motors that reads like 03D0000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There is a car in Owen Crinnigan motors that reads like 03D0000
    A lot of dealers use those plates. It's merely to inidate that it is a 2003 registered car.

Example here: http://www.cbg.ie/CarPictures/default/D_2445_127642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The vehicle is registed on ROS the revenue online service. some garages open on the 1st. otherwise, you could reserve a number, make up the plates in advance, and arrange to have it registered on the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

What some dealers will do is fill out the online form in the week coming up to the new year and then save it on thier computer, then on the 1st all you haveto do is login and upload the allready prepared forms.

But no you cannot reg a new car with a 07 REG in 06

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you could, however, book an 07 reg, and then fix the 07 plates on the car in 06, knowing that it was to be the correct reg. you wouldn't be able to get insurance cover though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

is the wait until Jan 2nd really all that long?

whats the attraction with the 1st? because at the end of the day thats the only issue here. You want the new car on the 1st, but will have to hold on until the dealers open on the 2nd! woe-betide.

I'll have to somehow put up with this 24hr wait myself this time round.

btw (Last year the Veh Reg network was maxed and crashed until Jan 4th, and was inaccessible to most garages.)

• Advertisement

Was more a question of how come some can and others don't. I do find it a little silly that cars can't be pre registered and ready to go on the first, and surley that would save them a hell of alot of hassle and grief on the first few days of the new year! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Sorry to dig up this post but it interests me as I'm doing just that.

I have reserved a plate for 2007 but I don't think that would make any difference.

The dealer is opening on the 1st for a few hours and I'll be driving around in my new car on Jan 1st.

As has been mentioned already, the online option is there and once your dealer is willing to open on a bank holiday there's no issue.

I also had the option of having the car delivered on a truck to my house before Christmas and it sitting with the plates in the boot.

Of course you can get insured on a 2007 pre Christmas, you just need a reg or chassis number.

Hope that answers the questions in this thread as I think it just faded unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I noticed something like this, this time last year a kavanaghs in urlingford. He had a couple of buses with 06 regs on them, sitting in the yard ready to go. I think he always books regs, a good few of the buses are like
    xx kk/wd/tn 1/2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

Called round to the garage today, and my car is in the middle of a line of '07s in an underground garage, ready to be picked up on the 2nd (they don't open until the 2nd).
    Most important, they are all pre-booked, so that there are details of the people to register the cars for; otherwise, naturally, they couldn't be registered!

Sales guy said it was just lucky that the car's arrived pre Jan 1st; that its not always the case.

So that should settle it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Where is the money wasted? The numbers are always allocated to them. There is no payment made.
    €350 a pop for "special" reserved reg's. Hence €1400 wasted for the 4 cities!!

Advertisement