Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roger Doyle, Composer

• 07-11-2006 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi There,

Hope this is in the right place.

I am writing a piece on Roger Doyle, an Irish non-commercial composer. He is most famous for his works "Babel" and "Passades".

http://www.rogerdoyle.com/home.php

I am just wondering what you think of him as a composer?

What do you think of babel?
    What does it say to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've heard babel. It sounded experimental alright, not really in a noisy/atonal way though. I didn't quite grasp the babel concept so the music didn't really reach out to me or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

He did a talk in my college and he said that Babel was designed as a fictional radio station housed in the tower of babel and each room has a different kind of music and is put on at a certain time of day.

He said he was disillisioned with Radio today, saying they only play the same music (which is true). He said babel was was satirical of this with a DJ used to poke fun at radio today.

There was one piece that he got a clarinet player to do on the fly with him directing her. He says the piece has been performed a few times live.

His music sounded very visual and futuristic - there are lots of tracks that are quite frightening to listen too - they sound like machines shooting each other - but thats just my take so would be interested to hear what other people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've never heard Babel but it sounds a little like Radio Inferno by FM Einheit and Andreas Ammer which could be useful to you as a comparison. I like what I've heard of Doyle, he wouldn't be the most adventurous person in the world but he's always enjoyable to listen to and appreciate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

I have a single of his from the early-mid eighties "The Austrian" , a friend of mine plays on it, wired trombone solo in it, told me when they were recording
    it Doyle was messing around with a Fairlight sampler at the time.
    Just some possibly useful but probabl;y useless infor there

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

JLemmon wrote:
    I have a single of his from the early-mid eighties "The Austrian" , a friend of mine plays on it, wired trombone solo in it, told me when they were recording
    it Doyle was messing around with a Fairlight sampler at the time.
    Just some possibly useful but probabl;y useless infor there

J

Ah yes he played that in the talk...thats pretty cool your friend played on it ! And Roger mentioned Fairlight quite a bit.

He was a cool guy - definitely doing it for the love of music - he was saying he gets buy on very little money but loves it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bits of his stuff can be found here

http://www.cmc.ie/composers/composer.cfm?composerID=35

nicked off the web

http://www.forwind.net/MP3/RogerDoyle-Trap4No2.mp3

Which I'm listening to now, not bad though I tend to find if I fire up 3 or 4 soft-synths and am quick with the mouse I can achive similair levels of ambience.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was at a talk by Doyle earlier this year - he seems to be a big fan of the GRM Tools VST plugins for making his sounds (especially GRM Freeze for making drones). Maybe I was in your class sokitume_sam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PsychForm

You should check out the ealy Operating Theater stuff by him. Rapid Eye Movement is excellent place to start...

Advertisement