Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€20K to spend on Diesel Car - what to buy?

Options
  • 07-11-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm hoping to sell my commercial Jeep and I'm gonna be buying a car.
    My budget for the car is €20K.
    I'm gonna be buying a Diesel as I'm gonna be doing a good bit of driving next year.
    I was looiing at the Ford Mondeo, but I'm not so sure - any suggestions ?
    And I mean real suggestions, not boy racer cars - I mean a nice sized family car...
    Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For that money you can have a decent BMW 530d. Hard to beat that

If you're spending 20 grand on a car, you shouldn't have to worry about a few bob more per year in tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Too big, to be honest.

I want something that'll get around the 50 mpg mark.

Tax and insurance on that would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I replied to your earlier thread, and can highly recommend the mondeo.

Next choice for me would be 06 Octavia, or 05 Superb, both comfortable, economical family cars.

Avensis D4D's also good, but too expensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

320d?? Audi A4?? Have you a preferance - european or a Jap? I think a european is the way to go if you're buying a diesel for €20k tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

An '04 Accord 2.2 CDTI would be another good option.

• Advertisement

No real preference, and I don't want something too old....

I was leaning towards the Mondeo, Something like this

Only issue I would have with the example Mondeo you picked is the alloys.
    They appear to be 18", which will make for a harder ride - an important point if you like your comfort.
    I'd be more inclined to stick to the standard 16" alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Do you have to trade in or are you buying for cash?
    and if your looking at BMW320d(136-150BHP) AUDI A4/A6 (110-130BHP) then you won't get anything (low mileage wise) newer then 3 or 4 years old probably. If you want something newer with the same audi engine/running gear, than maybe a passat/Octavia/Seat. There is also the Golf/Bora/Leon models with the same engine.

I would look at UK TBH www.autotrader.co.uk & www.cargiant.ie & www.ebay.co.uk. but watch the mileage and FSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

gyppo wrote:
    I replied to your earlier thread, and can highly recommend the mondeo.

Next choice for me would be 06 Octavia, or 05 Superb, both comfortable, economical family cars.

Avensis D4D's also good, but too expensive.

I agree re: Skodas.
    However, you would be hard pushed to find a diesel 2005 Superb for €20K, from a dealer anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

deadl0ck wrote:
    No real preference, and I don't want something too old....

I was leaning towards the Mondeo, Something like this

Looks good although I agree the bigger wheels might make the car's ride a bit harsh.

Haggle hard.

• Advertisement

I'll probably try and sell the Jeep privately - I reckon I'll get more for it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

deadl0ck wrote:

I want something that'll get around the 50 mpg mark.

I was getting very close to that when I drove a 530 diesel auto to England... Was nearly all motorway, mind

prospect wrote:
    I agree re: Skodas.
    However, you would be hard pushed to find a diesel 2005 Superb for €20K, from a dealer anyway.

Yes, maybe an 05 for that money is a little ambitous. However, in a months time, if the OP could stretch to about 22k and is a cash buyer, he might just do it.

Here's a nice one @ 24k
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=522593.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You might want to consider cars with the new Ford / PSA 1.6 HDI engine.
    It's supposed to be pretty good and frugal plus with its comparatively small capacity it should give you better resale value than a bigger diesel AND save on tax and insurance.

You could get a 2004 or younger Focus C-max, Citroen C4 / C5 or Peugeot 307 /407 within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How about a Mondeo TDCi 130bhp Ebony? Cracking drive, good equip,emt, and a 05 model should be in your grasp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sorry offtopic but what jeep are you selling? I'm in the market for a commercial jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how are you getting on trading in the Pajero btw?

I've only looked in 2 places, as I'm only starting to think about changing. I may leave it till mid next year. I'm not 100% sure yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

TomMc wrote:
    An '04 Accord 2.2 CDTI would be another good option.

My choice too. Except its hard to find a decent mileage one for 20k. You'd be looking at 24k+

I was looking for a 04-05 diesel for someone else for around the same money. Perhaps 18-20 and I found that Focus, Bora's and Astra where around this price point. The bigger cars, passats, accord, were a bit dearer at '04 and newer. You have to bear in mind that a New base petrol 1.6 Passat is € 26k

http://www.bradysdublin.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=531497
    http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=531759

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Do I dare mention a Passat TDi ? But then again against some of the other cars mentioned here they do look a bit basic, But Cracking car and the 130BHP TDi is supposed to be a great drive.

EDIT : There are plenty of Sub 20K's on carzone, But very poor spec on most of them.

Hj

Advertisement