Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Wenger not critical enough of finishing?

• 07-11-2006 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Had this argument with my roommate last night. He argues quite reasonably that finishing is something that is totally down to the player. The manager can't make him hit the target. This makes sense but wastefulness in front of goal has been there throughout Wengers tenure. For the last couple of years, I thought he had fixed it but this year reminds me of games like the Fiorentina one.

I thought it unusual that Wenger would be so positive about the CSKA result. Imagine Sam Allardyce's reaction to Bolton missing so many chances, he'd be livid! Now I'd watch Arsenal reserves over Bolton any day of the week but I have to say Allardyce's teams put a far greater focus on scoring. Most of the teams in the premier league create a fraction of the chances per match that Arsenal create yet still manage to score a goal or two. Maybe Wenger needs someone to work directly on finishing (and corners!) At the moment, he seems content as long as the team are playing well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

It's a strange one, because it's not as if players like Henry, Fabregas and Rosicky don't have the ability to put the ball in the back of the net. i'd put it down to concentration really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'd agree with the point one of the rte guys made a while back, i'd put it down to arsenal always trying to score the great goal. i mean, alot of arsenal's goals are volleys and these nice on the eyes goals. they dont really score the scruffy goals.

just and idea, maybe i'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I can see where your coming from in that they haved missed a lot of chances in certain games, but its not like they have a problem scoring goals, they just have off days now and then like most teams do.

06/07 - 16 goals - 3rd Highest
    05/06 - 68 goals - 2nd Highest
    04/05 - 87 goals - 1st
    03/04 - 73 goals - 1st
    02/03 - 85 goals - 1st
    01/02 - 79 goals - 2nd Highest

They dont have a problem scoring goals, maybe they come under extra scrutiny because they create more goal chances.
    I would presume that there would be no major difference in percentages between chances missed with most teams.
    I think Wenger was right to be positive about CSKA result, he knows they have ability to take chances and there is no point getting on their backs, the players know they should of done better and will do in future i am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I think they're just ridiculously unlucky at the moment. i think they should go for the basic now and then or even cross high into the box .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement