Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take you to fall asleep?

Options
  • 07-11-2006 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

In general would you fall asleep pretty quickly (on an average night not a drunken sat night!!) or would you toss and turn for hours??

I have an awful thing for watching tv, and once im any way warm and comfortable i will just fall asleep in a split second! People watching say its not normal!!!

In bed once i turn the light off that me gone in next 5 mins max.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

welcome to my world - it literally takes me less then 5 minutes to completely zonk out. And I love it - really hate to be one of those that cant settle down - just really cool to close the eyes and be gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I fall asleep fairly quickly too, but always while listening to music. Something like Josh Ritter,The frames, Sigur Ros.. If I try to go to sleep without music it takes me ages, cause I cant stop thinking about stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Takes me ages, lately I have a little fan on or some kind of white noise (computer is on or whatever) to help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Usually takes me ages. Unless I'm absolutely exhausted I'll be lying there thinking about stuff for hours :(

It's fairly annoying.. have some great thoughts and figure out lots of things while I'm waiting for sleep to come, but usually don't bother writing anything down because that would be counterintuitive to the desire for sleep. And of course most of the good stuff is forgotten about the next day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It depends. If I've done alot of pphysical activity, then yes, I drop off quickly. However if I'm just tired mentally I may not go to sleep for hours-five hours sleep max those time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It takes me quite a while as I listen to music/think about things an awful lot. It's quite hard to sleep when thinking about something, something annoying that happened recently etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

So long as I am not spooked by nightmarish thoughts, a hard workout and to think about someone in a very special way helps me to drift off within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm insantly out, once my head hits the pillow I'm into a very deep sleep within seconds and impossible to wake. Have never remembered a dream as much as I've tried :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

It usually takes me anything between 30 minutes and an hour to fall asleep once the lights are out. I'll only fall asleep instantly if I've had a fair bit to drink or I've has very little sleep the previous couple of nights. I find it very hard to shut my brain down most of the time and the slightest bit of noise will keep me awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

It usually takes me about 1 hour (at least), after going to be, before I fall asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm a night owl and don't go to sleep till pretty late most nights, regardless of work/college the next day. But I wouldn't say I have trouble going to sleep, once I'm tired I nod off very quickly unless there's something on my mind. I'm a VERY heavy sleeper too, nothing will wake me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I set my alarm/radio to snooze mode and set it for about 20 mins before it switches the radio off and as a rule I'm asleep by then.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Sarn

A few seconds to a few minutes, nothing noticeable. I always read before going to bed, I find it helps clear my mind and lets me fall asleep quickly (effectively substitutes staring at the ceiling for half an hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I'm out in about 10 minutes most nights no matter what time I hit the pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

depends on how i am that night really, some nights i will just watch a dvd if im not tired at all, then i'll slowly doze off.. other nights if im tired, i'll get nice and cosy in bed and *gone*

Advertisement