Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Coverdale disappointed that Whitesnake didn't play Ireland

• 07-11-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Another instance on this last tour, I saw that Ireland wasn't on the original tour plan so I asked Rod to look into it... I love playing & visiting there... but to the best of my knowledge, there was no invite... Apparently, the promoters weren't 'feeling the love', Baby... & if anything came later... it was probably too late to route the tour there... Believe me... it's disappointing for me, too... & there is always next time...

WHY WAS THIS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN?!?!? I missed them in 2004 because I got my dates mixed up and turned out i was in Leeds that weekend, i had a ticket and everything!!

Ah! Damn promoters! I hate them!! they dont bother get anyone over here!

How do we make the promoters know that we want them here and will pay to see them??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Ah! Damn promoters! I hate them!! they dont bother get anyone over here!

I agree, although Whitesnake did come to Ireland just a few years ago if im not much mistaken, and played a show in the Point Theatre. Its the same with a band like WASP, who are playing here in 2 weeks, but havent played before that for 2 years...despite extensively touring in that time period. Some promoters in Ireland dont bother, and others think 'we'll just get em the next time they come around'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The promoters aren't out to bring in cool bands and enhance everyone's lives, they're out to make money, they'll only bring in bands when they're confident of a sizeable return. WASP and Whitesnake are two formerly big names who probably charge a lot to play but wouldn't have a sizeable following here (relative to other markets). I recall The Cult playing the Point in the early 90s, they were huge in the states at the time and there were maybe 1000 people at the gig if they were lucky, probably less in fact. If the demand isn't there, or isn't percieved to be there, nobody will invest the €€€ to bring a band over. It's all about the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Doctor J wrote:
    It's all about the money.

I know, and as unfortunate and unchangeable it is, thats the problem.

Whitesnake would get ALOT more ticket buyers than W.A.S.P. and W.A.S.P. have played here more times in the past two years than Whitesnake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

That Whitesnake gig was totally kick ass. One of the best gigs I've been at.
    TK

W.A.S.P. have played here more times in the past two years than Whitesnake.

W.A.S.P have only played twice and Whitesnake came last in 2003, to be honest, I was very suprised (but happy) WASP was coming back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I hope to god people go to the Wasp gig, as its clashing with another metal band who shall remain nameless. The last time there were loads there & the atmosphere was brilliant, so I hope its the same at this one.

Oral Slang wrote:
    I hope to god people go to the Wasp gig, as its clashing with another metal band who shall remain nameless. The last time there were loads there & the atmosphere was brilliant, so I hope its the same at this one.

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

cant believe it was 2003 the last time they played that was 2 nights in the olympia if i aint mistaken 2 excellent nights and when they opened with burn it was un fookin real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

cant believe it was 2003 the last time they played that was 2 nights in the olympia if i aint mistaken 2 excellent nights and when they opened with burn it was un fookin real!

Twas 2004, have my ticket right here, well my friends ticket, had to sell mine cos i couldnt go, Why oh why couldnt they play this year!! I mean they played TWO nights in 2004, and promotors didnt bother to get them for even one night this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Oral Slang wrote:

just say it L, its clashing with Dragonforce :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Doctor J wrote:
    The promoters aren't out to bring in cool bands and enhance everyone's lives, they're out to make money, they'll only bring in bands when they're confident of a sizeable return. WASP and Whitesnake are two formerly big names who probably charge a lot to play but wouldn't have a sizeable following here (relative to other markets). I recall The Cult playing the Point in the early 90s, they were huge in the states at the time and there were maybe 1000 people at the gig if they were lucky, probably less in fact. If the demand isn't there, or isn't percieved to be there, nobody will invest the €€€ to bring a band over. It's all about the money.

I thought concerts and gigs were partly to promote a band and album etc. So weren't always profit generating in their own right. But I guess these days everything is about the profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I thought concerts and gigs were partly to promote a band and album etc. So weren't always profit generating in their own right. But I guess these days everything is about the profit.

Dont kid yourself - bands want to atleast break even with any tour. There would really be no point in going to places/venues where they cannot monetarily justify playing there.

Unless they seriously under-cut themselves (like Slayer did, setting up their own gear, roadie-ing themselves, etc) - no band is going to be foolish just to promote themselves whilst making a complete loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Promoting yourself is only a complete loss if you don't sell any singles/albums/downloads. I would have though once you break even or come close to it, that its worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Have been to a few "retro-metal" gigs over the last few years (hate that term, but I think people know what I mean) like Whitesnake, Saxon and Dio and while I'm pleasantly surprised to see anyone else there, the fact is that these gigs probably struggle to make any money, bar Maiden of course. Sad, but a fact of life, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Purple did okay in the two visits a year or two back.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

True, although Skynyrd stole the show second time around.

Advertisement