Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo Problem: intermittently loosing power...esp. when starting?

Options
  • 07-11-2006 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or is his one for the garage?

I have a '98 Polo and for the past few months when driving it would 'miss' and loose power for a few seconds before regaining power again...it was as if I had dropped down a few gears (without high revs)

Lately, it has started happening more regularly, especially in the first few minutes after the car has been idle.

Anyone any ideas what this might be?

Cheers:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Engine temperature sensors give trouble on start-up on Polos of that year. But really, it's impossible to say without hooking up a diagnostic computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmmm, a friend of mine had a similar sounding problem with an Opel corsa a while back, it was the exhaust gas recirculation system so far as I remember. Sounds like one for the garage.

That's not to sayt that you have the same problem!
    If it is the same problem, here's some info (from an American site).
    Info1
    Info2

EDIT: Agree with crosstownk - needs diagnostics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Dodgy leads perhaps. Have you ever had them replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

[Short version]
    I'd definitely recommend you get to a VW garage to have this checked out.

[Long version]
    I had this problem with a 97 Polo - the garage misdiagnosed it as an ignition switch problem at first. I hadn't been driving long, maybe 3 months, and the car just lost all power as I left the N3 - Mulhuddart Exit, basically I got around a corner and it died on me. Thankfully, my brother was with me, so he pushed and I steered the car out of the way of traffic coming off the N3(!)

The garage replaced the ignition barrel, under warranty, and the same thing happened again about 2 weeks later.......I'm wracking my brains trying to remember what the fault was in the end, but I can't (5 years ago now) - sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

"leads"...as in spark plugs (sorry, not a car person really)

I'm not sure if it's the same problem exactly, the car isn't dying on me, it just slows on me, like I'm driving in first gear say, the suddenly regains power.

Think it's like one for the garage so.

Thanks lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The leads connect to the spark plugs. How does the engine sound when this happens? I had a similar problem with a polo, I had little or no power til over 3000rpm. It wasn't firing on all cylinders. Needed the leads raplaced to fix it.

oh right...

well, the engine sounds like it's dropping power...if that makes sense, not revved or any weird sound, just a lower sound, then after maybe a few seconds it will 'chuck' back into normal

I'm not sure but i think when I accelerate while this happens it doesn't seem to make any difference really, as if it's in a low gear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plug leads are a possible culprit. Essentially you are loosing power under load - I've seen plug leads cause this before. But there are many other factors that can cause similar symptoms. The only real solution is to get a diagnosis carried out. Any reply here is guess work. But good guess work;)

Thanks for the advice..appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement