Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warning, insurance renewal Rip-Off!

Options
  • 07-11-2006 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all,

Just thought I'd alert you to a potential rip-off I thankfully avoided.

Got my renewal quote from Quinn Direct. It was nearly 100 euro more than I paid last year and thought that couldn't be right. I'm 28, full licence etc, cars a 95 Merc E220 CE, they were looking for over 1200 euro.

I went through there online quote system, entered my details as they stand now and got a quote for 800 euro! Contacted them, complained and they agreed to match the online quote.

Lesson learned, well worth checking at each renewal and not just presuming quote they supply is best.

Cheers,

Ruppert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The *EXACT* same thing happened me with Quinn a few months ago... Posted here to inform people about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Lads c'mon, in all fairness this is Ireland and by your very nature should be shopping around at times like insurance renewal. As you've experienced there is vast differences (even from the same company) in premium costs.
    Quinn are a common culprit alright, but they all do it to some extent..

A 30c phonecall could mean a couple of hundred euro saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

If you have a few years of NCB try FBD, on 240E MB (W210 series) mine was 780 a year, open driving, fully comp and had breakdown assistance, same age as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, Quinn are good for young people (< 25) with small NCBs. If you have a decent NCB or are over 25, you're definitely better off getting a quote from everyone at renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

all companys pretty much do that. i work in quinn, but hopefull not for long, and ive been tellin everone i know to get an online quote for the renewal cos it nearly always works out cheaper. Another company to look at it Britton as they quote me less than quinn an i only heve 1yr NCB on a 01 mondeo 2.0 TDI.

Always always shop around, and if you are lazy, you can try a broker, but your better of looking yourself.

-V-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Always shop around and always use a different name. You often get different quotes as they think you are a new customer rather than a returning mug.

-edit- doh double post

ciarsd wrote:
    Lads c'mon, in all fairness this is Ireland and by your very nature should be shopping around at times like insurance renewal. As you've experienced there is vast differences (even from the same company) in premium costs.
    Quinn are a common culprit alright, but they all do it to some extent..

You say that in such a condisending (sp?) way... both the OP and I didn't get caught out, we DID Shop around and were merely advising other people not to get caught out.... Jeez next time we won't bother :rolleyes:

all companys pretty much do that. i work in quinn, but hopefull not for long, and ive been tellin everone i know to get an online quote for the renewal cos it nearly always works out cheaper. Another company to look at it Britton as they quote me less than quinn an i only heve 1yr NCB on a 01 mondeo 2.0 TDI.

Always always shop around, and if you are lazy, you can try a broker, but your better of looking yourself.

-V-

Yeah but you have to do the Ignition course - Don't have the time/too lazy to do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Most car insurance companies work on subsidising the first years insurance by using higher renewal prices in the 2nd and later years.

This is standard practise. You play them at their own game either by moving around each year or by complaining as the OP did.

They always figure that their are a good few people to lazy/busy to shop around and just pay their renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye I got done for a few hundred more than it was last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

JohnCleary wrote:
    You say that in such a condisending (sp?) way... both the OP and I didn't get caught out, we DID Shop around and were merely advising other people not to get caught out.... Jeez next time we won't bother :rolleyes:

John,
    And I quote...
    ciarsd wrote:
    Lads c'mon, in all fairness this is Ireland and by your very nature should be shopping around at times like insurance renewal.

Depending on the person, buying a product for a figure over, say €150-€200 plus, you should be shopping around - no buts. Especially when there is huge choice (i.e. in this case, the amount of insurers willing to quote)

I really don't see how you could interpret my post as condescending.. It's true when I say, a 30c phonecall could mean a couple of hundred euro saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Aye they tried to do me for 2k last year.

Once I caught them they behaved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Always shop around and always use a different name. You often get different quotes as they think you are a new customer rather than a returning mug.
    So what happens if the cheapest quote is for a name that's 'different' from your own. The object is to get cheaper insurance not just a cheap quote that's useless to you.Their records tend to store all your details,address,licence number etc,so if you say your name is stevie rather than steve or steven they still know it's you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

JohnCleary wrote:
    The *EXACT* same thing happened me with Quinn a few months ago... Posted here to inform people about it

Exact same thing happened to me too - they tried to charge me more the next year even with a years no claims bonus. They said prices had gone up.

I said no thanks and one phone call later i had insurance for 350 euro LESS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ciarsd wrote:
    What! you spend that much on phone calls!

Advertisement