Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Buyer, Buying an SUV

Options
  • 07-11-2006 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Right, at the moment, I have no license (so you're all safe on the roads for the moment!), and I've never really driven before. So I'm about to start lessons/applying for license etc. I want to get an SUV of some kind for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I work in the construction industry and will be visiting work sites a lot, so I need a vehicle that will be able to handle the dodgy worksite roads without having the undersides destroyed by all the bumps and all that.

The second reason is that I do some film work on the side and I need space in the back to load up with equipment and after one of my mates brought his landrover onto a set one time, I realise that it's a lot easier than trying to overload an average car.

So, I was thinking of getting an SUV, aiming towards a a smaller two seater. Possibly a Pajero, but not the Junior as it's too small.

So my question is, am I being an idiot for trying to go for an SUV for my first car? And if not, is there anything I should be looking for, or does anyone have any experience with the smaller SUV's that could help me choose what to get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

People learn to drive in all sorts and sizes of cars. I can't imagine you being too happy with the insurance quotes when/if you get them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

thats just what we need another learner on the road in an suv, just know that they are very dangerous vehicles and in a collision with a smaller car you will most likely kill the person, and by the sounds of the way you are going to use it you are ging to be driving it around on your own without a fully licensed driver in the car, its bad enough doing that with a car but with a dangerous vehicle like an SUV its fairly dodgy, just somethin to think about..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were you, I'd look at a Subaru Forester. It'll carry a lot, it'll be able to handle construction sites, and it'll be a lot nicer to drive than an SUV and a lot safer for everybody else to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

My old man works in the building trade and I used to work with him during the summer when i was a kid. I remember going to numerous building sites with his architecht in an MX5 without any problem so I think a regular car should be fine in that regard.

For the film equipment, a station wagon would probably be adequate for your needs - would be easier on the pocket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You don't state how old you are, but should you be on the young-ish side, most SUV's would be out of your reach purely on engine size and therefore insurance.

The only "small" SUV's around would be:

Daihatsu Terios (1.3)
    Suzuki Jimny (1.3)
    Suzuki Grand Vitara (1.6)

If it has to be 1.3 I'd recommend the Jimny as the lesser of two evils, otherwise go for the Vitara.

If engine size is not a concern I'd join Anan1 in his support for the Forester (the non turbo, seenashow you're a beginner)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Look at the Subaru 4WDs also. Not necessarily SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not exactly affordable insurance wise

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ok, first of all, I should have said before I'm 27.
    I can't imagine you being too happy with the insurance quotes when/if you get them!

Insurance wise, I'm not too pushed about the cost. And since I'm still deciding on everything at the moment, it's still up in the air. But it is something to bear in mind.
    thats just what we need another learner on the road in an suv, just know that they are very dangerous vehicles and in a collision with a smaller car you will most likely kill the person, and by the sounds of the way you are going to use it you are ging to be driving it around on your own without a fully licensed driver in the car, its bad enough doing that with a car but with a dangerous vehicle like an SUV its fairly dodgy, just somethin to think about..

Nowhere did I say I'd be driving around on my own, at the moment. And I'm not planning to play a real life "Grand Theft Auto" with it. To be honest, I doubt I'd go near the thing without someone with me until I'm competent and licensed to drive on my own (we've all seen too many bad drivers on the road already without me having to add to them). I know some can be dangerous in the wrong hands, but then again, so can any vehicle.
    My old man works in the building trade and I used to work with him during the summer when i was a kid. I remember going to numerous building sites with his architecht in an MX5 without any problem so I think a regular car should be fine in that regard.

Sadly, not on these sites. They don't have laid roads, only mudtracks with gravel loosely piled onto them. The cars on site are all get the undersides torn out of them from the uneven terrain. Everyone else gets by, by having one car for work and one car at home, but I'm not earning that much yet.
    For the film equipment, a station wagon would probably be adequate for your needs - would be easier on the pocket too.

I thought about something like that, but I would prefer something shorter in length. That's why I was thinking along the lines of the two seaters as they don't extend as far back, but still have good storage space.

As I said above, the insurance doesn't matter too much, (Unless it's astronimical, I'll live with it), so there's no problem going for the more powerful engines, but as Lorax was saying, SUV's can be dangerous, and it'd be a smarter move to start with the smaller engine.

I was thinking about the Suzuki Jimny before as it seems quite compact, but I read that it has a pretty bad blind spot, which I'll have to look into.

Thanks for the help so far guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

humanji wrote:
    I was thinking about the Suzuki Jimny before as it seems quite compact, but I read that it has a pretty bad blind spot, which I'll have to look into.

It does have a fairly wide A-pillar which can, on ocassion, obstruct your view to the right. Once you know about it, you just look around it ..i.e. look twice.
    Otherwise the view is very good and it's a joy to maneuvre around town. Also the big mirrors are a real bonus. If you use it as a two seater only (rear seats fold) you'll get over a cubic meter of usable boot ...not bad for such a small car.

Be warned though ...the Jimny was not designed for fast progress. It's quick enough around town and when you rev it over 4500 rpm will also get some decent pull on open roads but it does run out of puff just over 100 km/h.
    Far more important though, with its two solid axles and stiff, yet leany suspension it is a bit like a bucking bronco to drive on bad roads at speed. It leans into corners and the rear wheels have a tendency to "jump". As the steering is very direct, a "dancing" rear axle might lead you into over-correcting and straight into trouble.

Personally, I find it fun to drive ...but I only commute on "slow" narrow country lanes and the above behaviour to me is entertaining rather than dangerous (and I have loads of driving experience)...but I can't really wholeheartedly recommend this car to an absolute novice ...it'll most likely catch you out badly at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Sounds like you need a Honda HRV. Pick up a three year old for excellent price. Normal insurance costs. Normal petrol consumption. Collapsable back seat for buckets of room. can go anywhere. Make sure it's a 4wd as they come in just 2wd also - 4wd only kicks in when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anan1 wrote:
    If I were you, I'd look at a Subaru Forester. It'll carry a lot, it'll be able to handle construction sites, and it'll be a lot nicer to drive than an SUV and a lot safer for everybody else to boot.

It's also a 2.0 petrol. What insurance company is going to insure a provisional driver on one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Be aware that if you go for a two-seater SUV, you're likely to be charged commercial insurance rates, which makes it even more unaffordable.

If that is the case, you could go for your average workman's van. Not very classy, but would serve the purpose and get you some cheaper insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

testicle wrote:
    It's also a 2.0 petrol. What insurance company is going to insure a provisional driver on one of them?
    The OP is 27, I'm sure he'd have no trouble getting a quote on a 2.0 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Humanji wrote:
    Ha Ha thats a classic, looking into a blind spot :D

Advertisement