Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jar in Student Centre restaurant

Options
  • 07-11-2006 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the Student Centre Restaurant today, and they have a little jar beside the register. There is a label, but it is crumpled and worn. There is a fair amount of money in the jar. Is this a tip jar, or for charity? Thanks

EDIT: Also €2.30 for 6 chicken nuggets sucks balls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Er..a tip jar

Question answered.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The Science restaurant is finally a good restaurant that's cheap and appetizing. I was there for coffee yesterday and I can't wait to try out the food some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Red Alert wrote:
    The Science restaurant is finally a good restaurant that's cheap and appetizing. I was there for coffee yesterday and I can't wait to try out the food some day!

Yeah, thought it was nice alright, but don't think I'd wholly agree with the cheap part. It's not extortionate by any means, but I just though the prices were a little high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

examples (im not walking all the way down to sci)

Well I got lasagne and chips last week, were really nice, but cost €6.50 and the portion of lasagne was pretty small. Like I said, not that expensive but could be a little cheaper. I don't know, maybe my expectations of what I should have to pay are too low?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This is the second time i have heard this "its expensive and you only get small portions" remark today...do they not realise we are students (well, some of us get paid to do this ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I hate the arts cafe, it's a rip off!

We've kind of gone off topic it seems.

Has anyone definitively ascertained the purpose of the jar in the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

*snigger*
    That 5 minute walk is a real trek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

It's a tip jar, I remember when writing was on it. Btw I don't think Mick Donnells is particularly expensive. Extremely unhealthy granted!

• Advertisement

Chakar wrote:
    Er..a tip jar

Question answered.

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

abelard wrote:
    We've kind of gone off topic it seems.

Has anyone definitively ascertained the purpose of the jar in the thread title?

Roffles !

Of course its a tip Jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I thought it used to be a little bucket for the "Student Welfare Fund"? There used to be a label on it, I dunno maybe they've changed it to just a pay-us-even-more-than-we're-stealing-from-you jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Grimes wrote:
    Of course its a tip Jar.
    It could just as easily have been a charity box. McDonalds have the same set-up, and their boxes are for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'm pretty sure it's a tip jar, the science restaurant has one too. I also have to say that the sci restaurant is only cheap for the sh1tty food, where as a proper meal like thai green chicken curry and basmati rice (yum) is 6.50 and you don't get much chicken or naan bread with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

I read in one of the college papers that the science restaurant was going to be open until midnight but it isn't. Does anyone know when that is happening as there's nothing but the vile main restaurant or the viler 911 in the evenings.

It could just as easily have been a charity box. McDonalds have the same set-up, and their boxes are for charity.

Yeah thats true but I don't think that the issue of a charity or tip box is worth wondering about after all there's more important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Any idea are the restaurant meals subsidized or supposed to be supposed to be. Its a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

Does nobody cook in UCD?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I read in one of the college papers that the science restaurant was going to be open until midnight but it isn't. Does anyone know when that is happening as there's nothing but the vile main restaurant or the viler 911 in the evenings.

Apparently after christmas. Yay. Because nobody needs to eat before christmas, they're waiting for christmas dinner. Ooh, stuffing. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

/Loves your name.

gubbie wrote:
    *snigger*
    That 5 minute walk is a real trek
    Ah, I always love how everything in Ireland is just 5 mins away, its 5mins on the train from belfast to cork.

Sci is actually 15 mins from Glenomena, so that a 30 min round trip

The Quinn school is 6mins from me (timed for a bet), though it takes 20 mins to walk back from the bar, but its not the lenght of the road, its the width thats the problem :)

I cooked in 1st, eat in the restaurant in 2nd yr and cook mostly this year (but Im on campus)

Cooking is not a lot cheaper than eating in the restaraunt, if you live far away from UCD then I would recomend for social reasons you eat on campus. If you travel 45 mins home to cook (or an exausting cycle) you're not going to pop back into college just to bum around, are you?

Advertisement