Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League Cup 4th round (Tuesday/Wednesday)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

a few shocks 2nite alrite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

wba88 wrote:
    a few shocks 2nite alrite!
    with a few more tomorrow hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Wow, Chesterfield/Charlton looked a cracker.

God I love league cup games, I'd what football is all about.

The Underdog ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villa will beat Chelsea 2 nil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

cant believe that southend keeper just kept saving ronaldos rocket shots.

great free kick by their guy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

irish1 wrote:
    66-1 with PP,you feeling lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

irish1 wrote:

You're havin a laff now :eek:

Might just quote that back to you tomorrow night :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Came rushing home from training to see how much we were winning by and was greeted with Southend 1 - 0 United. Saw the last 20 minutes and we were awful. So many wayward passes, little or no movement. We were blessed to beat Crewe and perhaps this was some sort of justice for scrapping by in the last round.

Hats off to Southend, what a night for their players and supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    Why do you hate Celtic Mad Dog? Not saying you shouldn't, just wondering why.

Please show me the quote where i said I hate Celtic ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ziggy67 wrote:
    Why do you hate Celtic Mad Dog? Not saying you shouldn't, just wondering why.
    I presume like every Irish person who dislikes Celtic, stereotypes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yes every Irish person would love Celtic if they only weren't blinkered by stereotypes.

Could be a blessing in disguise (albeit an embarassing one) for Utd; the less games they have this season the better their odds look for keeping pace with Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

its celtic fans creepy singing of you'll never walk alone that bugs me. thats our song!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

In recent years the fans of various rival clubs have attempted to claim that they sang it first. It would appear however that "Liverpool have the much stronger claims."

from that wiki article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is what happens when O'Shea starts!

el rabitos wrote:
    its celtic fans creepy singing of you'll never walk alone that bugs me. thats our song!

And the wearing of Celtic jerseys at Ireland matches Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sorry but I really dislike Celtic too.. As for United, shambles:

Man Utd: Kuszczak, O'Shea (Lee 75), Brown, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, David Jones (Shawcross 90), Fletcher, Richardson, Smith (Evra 60), Rooney.

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    66-1 with PP,you feeling lucky?

PaddyPower is 50-1, I'm going to stick a tenner on it at lunch time :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done Southend, 1 shot on target roughly!! Poor setup by the keeper, only 3 in the wall was a big cocky.
    When a team contains JOS and Silvestre they are going to lose, must be the 2 worst players in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Main problem was the lack of creativity from midfield, including the cry baby. The Southend keeper did well but none of those free kicks were heading in the top corner. That muppet is all hit and hope. His goal on Saturday proved that. James should have saved it.

You take out Giggs, Scholes and Carrick though and all the creativity is gone. Im happy enough though...should mean a fresh team on Saturday for a tricky away game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Mad Dog wrote:
    And the wearing of Celtic jerseys at Ireland matches Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

the celtic jersey has green in it. wearing green in the crowd is a way of supporting the irish team! theres no diff between a plain green shirt and a celtic jersey when ur at an ireland match.

Re: UTD.
    didnt see the match but it was obviously "beneath" the players so much so that they couldnt be arsed performin! at least now they'll get a bit mroe rest for when they need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Well i have to give credit to Southend,...........thought they played very well and they totally uped their game last nite, you would not believe they were bottom of the championship..........

As stated above whenever JOS and Silvestre are playing you might aswell put money on the other team to get a result..........

Utd also need to get rid of Richardson....he really is NOT a Utd player.....

That said.........im not that annoyed over losing last nite, as i said above Southend played well and deserved it

The_B_Man wrote:
    the celtic jersey has green in it. wearing green in the crowd is a way of supporting the irish team! theres no diff between a plain green shirt and a celtic jersey when ur at an ireland match.

What a load of tosh, next thing you'll be telling me you'll be wearing a Hibs jersey.

An Ireland jersey is an Ireland jersey not some Scottish teams jersey. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ziggy67 wrote:
    Tell you what Mad Dog, and anyone else who feels the same, if you care so much about Irish football support an Irish team. Stop glory hunting.
    How the hell is supporting an Irish team not glory hunting?

If he came and started supporting Shelbourne on Friday I'd class that as glory hunting in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Utd also need to get rid of Richardson....he really is NOT a Utd player.....

Very true. Complete waste of space. Seems quite content to play reserve games, sit on the bench, play a few first team games and take home the easy money instead of getting out there and fighting for a place at another club. And he has England caps????

Jesus what is it with people getting so Pi**ed off at supporters wearing Celtic Jersey's to Irish Matches??

I mean I'm sure most people wear them simply because they are the same colours. I mean why have a go at the real supporters who pay their money to see the Irish team play and support them? Surely people should be more annoyed at those fans that have never went to an Irish game. I mean ffs people should grow up if someone pays their hard earned cash to go support my national side I couldn't care less if they wore a pink dress.

Seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Did anyone manage to cap any of the goals/highlights from the Watford Newcastle tie last night, or know where to find them? I've never encountered such difficulty in seeing Newcastle goals before. They're not even up on soccerpulse and I've risked getting banned from nufc forums for requesting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I mean I'm sure most people wear them simply because they are the same colours.

United have had a green jersey in the past, if I wore it to an Ireland match, what would you honastly think?

---

Fair play to Southend, deserved win.

PHB wrote:
    United have had a green jersey in the past, if I wore it to an Ireland match, what would you honastly think?

---

Fair play to Southend, deserved win.
    Honestly PHB I wouldn't care, I'd say fair play for paying and supporting the team, especially at the moment we need all the support we can get.

But I also think you might look better in a pink dress :D

Oh and incase people thought I was joking about backing Villa to win 2 nil:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Looks like an MS Paint jobbie to me...

Anyway, hopefully Paletta, Fowler and Bellamy get some playing time tonight. I'd also like to see Anderson again if he's fit, but I reckon Rafa will go with more experience in this game since Birmingham won't want another 7-0 drubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll have you know I look stunning in a pink dress.

I'd have respect for people who pay and support the national team, especially after the crap that the FAI have given us over the past couple of years, but I do have an issue with people who link Celticness to Irishness.

Personally I think the majority of 'Celtic fans' are following the sectarianism rather than the football. I'm sure there are plenty of football fans in Ireland who follow Celtic for the football, but I'm fairly sure a majority of them follow it because of the latent hatred towards the English. These are the people who are more likely to link being Celtic to being Irish, and more likely to wear those jerseys to the Ireland games. If it was just simply trying to get the same colours that'd be fine, but it really isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

irish1 wrote:
    Oh and incase people thought I was joking about backing Villa to win 2 nil:

74/1 on betfair.

It aint a MSPaint Job, well except I blanked out the receipt number.

Oh I hear what your saying PHB and accept it but I don't think people are going to Irish matches for any other reason than to support their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

seansouth wrote:
    If he came and started supporting Shelbourne on Friday I'd class that as glory hunting in the extreme.
    And do you consider yourself a glory hunter for following them? Or is it different for you?

What if he were from Ballybough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bucks73 wrote:
    Main problem was the lack of creativity from midfield, including the cry baby. The Southend keeper did well but none of those free kicks were heading in the top corner. That muppet is all hit and hope. His goal on Saturday proved that. James should have saved it.

I've been contiously watching him hit shots the last few weeks and I reckon most of his (limited) success is down to the ball. It moves all over the place. All he does is whack it as hard and straight as he can, then sits back, watching the ball move up , down and side to side. One thing in his defense tho, at the minute he seems to be the only player that has copped on to the fact that the current balls are crap and shift about all over the place in the air if you leather into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And do you consider yourself a glory hunter for following them? Or is it different for you?

What if he were from Ballybough?
    I think you missed my point tbh.

He was accused of being a glory hunter for supporting an English team, Manchester United I think.

He was told to stop being a glory hunter and support an Irish club.

Now, if he was to suddenly jump the Manchester United ship, and get on the Shelbourne one (and Shelbourne are six points clear of the LoI with two games to play) could that not be construed as glory hunting?

I fail to see how supporting an Irish club could be seen as not glory hunting, as the original post that I replied to seemed to imply.

Stekelly wrote:

One thing in his defense tho, at the minute he seems to be the only player that has copped on to the fact that the current balls are crap and shift about all over the place in the air if you leather into it.

OH REALLY ??????

Mad Dog wrote:

That wasnt the same thing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ye, but look at the size of his writing.

Stekelly wrote:

Why isn't it the same thing, in YOUR statement you said he was the only player to cop on that the new balls "are crap and shift all over the place in the air" but if I'm not mistaken it has been spoken about ad nauseum about these balls so just letting you know that's all.

Or maybe he was the only one to cop on and you have let the cat out of the bag. Now everybody will be leathering the ball from this weekend :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Mad Dog wrote:
    Why isn't it the same thing, in YOUR statement you said he was the only player to cop on that the new balls "are crap and shift all over the place in the air" but if I'm not mistaken it has been spoken about ad nauseum about these balls so just letting you know that's all.

Or maybe he was the only one to cop on and you have let the cat out of the bag. Now everybody will be leathering the ball from this weekend :D:D:D:D

No what I said was he is just cracking the ball with his instep as hard and straight as possible, the flight of the ball is taking care of the rest . Lampard hit it so the ball moved a certain way, obviously he didnt mean for it to go exactly the way he did but he was shifting it around the wall. Most others are hitting free kicks to hit say, the top right corner etc. Ronaldo isnt trying that, he's just whacking it straight at whatever part of the goal he happens to be facing.

Plus I didnt mean that Ronaldo is some sort of genius, he's just latched onto something that gets a couple of goals and he sticks to it. The fact that the balls are crap helps no end.

Look at the couple of rockets Riise scored a few years back V Utd, they flew straight and never shifted. Compare that to the 3rd goal V spurs a couple of weeks back and the ball was moving up and down as well as side to side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool team confirmed

Dudek
    Peltier Agger Paletta Warnock
    Pennant Sissoko Zenden Gonzalez,
    Bellamy Fowler.

Subs - Martin, Kuyt, Alonso, Carragher, Guthrie.

Very similair to the 3rd round side.

Mike.

Stekelly wrote:

No what I said was he is just cracking the ball with his instep as hard and straight as possible, the flight of the ball is taking care of the rest .

Show me where you said that so :confused: :eek: :confused:

Chelsea will line-up in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation as follows:

23 Carlo Cudicini

14 Gérémi

9 Khalid Boulahrouz

6 Ricardo Carvalho

18 Wayne Bridge

4 Claude Makelele

5 Michael Essien

8 Frank Lampard (c)

13 Michael Ballack

7 Andriy Shevchenko

11 Didier Drogba

Subs: 40 Hilario, 19 Lassana Diarra, 10 Joe Cole, 24 Shaun Wright-Phillips, 21 Salomon Kalou.

Villa are expected to line-up in the following 4-5-1 formation:

1 Sorensen

18 Hughes

4 Mellberg

5 Laursen

16 Bouma

15 Agbonlahor

12 Davis

11 Petrov

8 McCann

6 Barry (c)

9 Angel

Subs: 13 Taylor, 19 Ridgewell, 27 Osbourne, 23 Berger, 10 Baros.

Tonight’s referee is Mark Halsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Here's the highlights from the Newcastle game last night. Class finish by Scotty Parker to make it 2-2! If anyone has the rest of penalties please share them before the joy of finally being on the winning side in a penalty shootout is tempered by looking at the league table this coming weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement