Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is acceptable for removing TIM

• 07-11-2006 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok, I need some answers as to what exactly I can use to remove TIM. I'm regretting that I didn't pick up a bottle of ArtiClean from OCuk the last time I ordered.

Here is a list of things i'm thinking about as I can't seem to find rubbing alcohol (isoprophyl alcohol) or pure acetone anywhere. I have this bottle of acetone that says "100% Acetone" on the front, but on the back for ingredients it has "acetone, perfume". From asking around people have been telling me to not take a chance with the perfume leaving a residue and use something else that will evaporate.

So what do yous use?

Can any of these be used?
    1. White Spirits
    2. Methylated Spirits
    3. Surgical Spirits

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

just wondering what will happen if u used vodka or brandy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Surgical spirits will do the job...all the rest have impurities even meth. spirits which has methanol in it to keep humans from drinking it (although I think it boils off a lower temp then ethanol :)

But the best thing for ease of removal is a bottle of akasa tim cleaner available in pc world and maplin for less then a tenner. Uses a citric decreaser to reall shift tims. Follow it up with a drop of isopropyl alcohol (the stuff you can buy in chemists i.e. surgical alocohol) to remove impurities. All applied with lint free cloths as well. Or just use the surgical alcohol if you don't mind a bit more elbow grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Flaccus wrote:
    Surgical spirits will do the job...all the rest have impurities even meth. spirits which has methanol in it to keep humans from drinking it (although I think it boils off a lower temp then ethanol :)

But the best thing for ease of removal is a bottle of akasa tim cleaner available in pc world and maplin for less then a tenner. Uses a citric decreaser to reall shift tims. Follow it up with a drop of isopropyl alcohol (the stuff you can buy in chemists i.e. surgical alocohol) to remove impurities. All applied with lint free cloths as well. Or just use the surgical alcohol if you don't mind a bit more elbow grease.

Thanks for that, i'll head down and get some surgical spirits tomorrow. afaik acetone is the best stuff to use for emulsifying TIM. I'll use the surgical spirits after it to get rid of any residue.

Installing my Tuniq Tower tomorrow, don't want to make any mistakes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive used vodka before, Didnt work very well at all. Isoprope is the best stuff. As it evaporates in the air leaving no puddles or residue.

anti wrote:
    Ive used vodka before, Didnt work very well at all. Isoprope is the best stuff. As it evaporates in the air leaving no puddles or residue.

So does acetone. If you can find pure acetone it is supposedly the best stuff. I guess pure alcohol would be the BEST but unless you are into distilling you aren't going to find it anywhere as most alcoholic cleaners have additives to make them poisonous. In swansea do they call it Isopropyl Alcohol? Wiki says that in england its referred to as Surgical Spirit?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I use the Arctic Clean kit:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Thermal_Materials.html

Three applications of each product, then a final polish with 99.9% Isoprophyl Alcohol....lint free cloth throughout!

I use the Arctic Clean kit:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Thermal_Materials.html

Three applications of each product, then a final polish with 99.9% Isoprophyl Alcohol....lint free cloth throughout!

Can I ask where are you getting your isopropyl alcohol? Do you mean surgical spirits?

L31mr0d wrote:
    So does acetone. If you can find pure acetone it is supposedly the best stuff. I guess pure alcohol would be the BEST but unless you are into distilling you aren't going to find it anywhere as most alcoholic cleaners have additives to make them poisonous. In swansea do they call it Isopropyl Alcohol? Wiki says that in england its referred to as Surgical Spirit?

I know it as isopropyl from when i worked in ireland, Heard surgical spiruts too.
    you say potato i say patato :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

DAM english

only jokin so ya dont ban me !!!!!!!!!!

awhir wrote:
    DAM english

only jokin so ya dont ban me !!!!!!!!!!

Cheeky ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

The little surgical wipes they use before giving you an injection work wonders...just a little lint-free cloth impregnated with isoprophyl alcohol.

I knew my job would come in handy one day :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I got the Isoprophyl alcohol from a local chemist, cost €5 for a 500ml bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Nail polish remover (acetone) does the job nicely in my experience, never had a problem with it, and is very easy to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I wouldn't use vodka or whiskey as they have too much water in them and impurities. Best off using rubbing alcohol as it evaporates very quickly, although i did use the corner of an aul shirt and a drop of very strong poitin, to no ill effect...

Advertisement