Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3000 on a new rig

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Oh, and I'll be ordering it when they get half of the stuff back into stock, Meatproduct ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah cool. Cheers Meat :)

Thank god for uncles with large businesses who are willing to make these little purchases on my behalf ;) (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

You gonna order it too Feylya?

Paul, I hope the 8800's don't take as long as the QX6700 is taking, still got a lead time of 20 days :( It's be great to see some examples of your 3D work at some stage if you wouldn't mind?

Nick

Thank god for uncles with large businesses who are willing to make these little purchases on my behalf ;) (I hope)

Sure if you're doing that then you won't be paying VAT! Might as well pile in a few more things now ;)

Nick

• Advertisement

I've discussd that with him though. It's not quite as simple as not having to hand over a few hundred quid less. Basically the money he saves will be in other areas of the business later on if you get me?
    It's not just an instant save on cash.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You gonna order it too Feylya?

Thinking about that, the 24" Benq or a 22" Ilyama.

Paul, I hope the 8800's don't take as long as the QX6700 is taking, still got a lead time of 20 days :( It's be great to see some examples of your 3D work at some stage if you wouldn't mind?

Nick

Hopefully I'll have the bulk of a nice demo reel going by the new year, I ain't showing nothing till then though :p

What motherboard and cooler will you be using if you don't mind me asking?

I've discussd that with him though. It's not quite as simple as not having to hand over a few hundred quid less. Basically the money he saves will be in other areas of the business later on if you get me?
    It's not just an instant save on cash.

But he will get it back once he does his monthly returns. I'm in the same situation. I pay the full amount including VAT but I can deduce the VAT on purchases I made against the VAT I charged my clients that I have to pay to the Revenue.

If he's a really nice uncle I think'll he'll let you off....

Nick

I'll tell him the exact same thing you told me just there then and see how I get on cheers.

You do 3d yourself, Nick?

• Advertisement

Hopefully I'll have the bulk of a nice demo reel going by the new year, I ain't showing nothing till then though :p

What motherboard and cooler will you be using if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going with
    Motherboard: ABIT AW9D-MAX, I975X, Socket-775 (cause it supports quad-core, your's probably does too)
    Cooler: Noctua NH-U12 and a separate silent 120mm fan (good for silence)

It's fun ordering computer stuff :)

Nick

tell me about it, I'm gettin' all giddy.

I'll tell him the exact same thing you told me just there then and see how I get on cheers.

You do 3d yourself, Nick?

Ha! Great, you could get some extra RAM then if that worked out.

I do architectural visualisation, very enjoyable work except for waiting on renders (really need the upgrades). Last week I modelled a small recreation park with about 30 trees in it and it just wasn't funny what my computer thought about rendering that. So many leaves to calculate reflections and shadows on! I wanted to do 3D grass but decided not to on account of it taking forever to render.

Please pm me when you think you can show the demo reel, would love to see it.

Nick

Will do, I plan on becoming a serious hermet for a while soon. There's the little matter of Christmas and a soul destroying job which I have to take care of first though.

I was talkin to a friend of mine just there regarding the VAT.

Apparently it not that my uncle can't do it it's that it can be a bit messy.

I know from the tone of his voice in the past when I came to something like this that he wasn't mad on the idea.

Oh, by the way, do you have any of your work that I could look at ? :)

Oh, by the way, do you have any of your work that I could look at ? :)

I certainly can but I can't post it on the forum, if you could pm me your e-mail address and I can send you some stuff :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Regarding your tax questions. Anyone can claim the expense of the PC back, but only at the end of the year and it has to proven as a ligitimate business or job related expense. Even then you dont get all the tax back you simply get to use the amount to add to your yearly tax credits so in essence you get a percentage of the tax back. I know this cos my dad did it for a mate of mine. the thing is he doesnt get the money back til he does his tax returns and that might not be for more than a year. i think you dont have to have your 2006 returns done til oct 2007 or even 2008. anyway the point is he'll get some of it back later and in order for you to save imediatley he would have to pay out of his own pocket. now some people dont always have the cash to throw around so you have to understand that even if you think a guy can claim it back and save you money he would be doing you a REALLY BIG favour.
    i am 95% sure on this. and i dont mind being corrected as long as you're not an @ss about it.
    hope this is helpful

Thanks happygandalf, that's what I was thinking, you just managed to form it into words though :p

Because of that I'm just gonna get my uncle to get the monitor from Dell for me as that'll be a saving straight away.

Typical that...The 24" monitor I was gonna order from dell through my uncle's 'large business' now seems to have no discount.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

to be honest, if i had 3k to spend on a pc, i would put in it :

Core 2 Duo e6600 - 330.02 euro
    ABIT AW9D-MAX, I975X, Socket-775,SATAII, Silent Otes,2xGbLAN,DDR2,ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16 - 229.00 euro
    OCZ Gold PC6400 DDR2 2048MB Dual Pack, w/two matched 1024MB PC6400 XTC DIMMs - 309.00 euro
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 384-bit - 679.00 euro
    Zalman CNPS9500AT Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler, Socket 775 - 49.01 euro
    LG DVD±RW burner, GSA-H22LRB, 18x, Dual, LightScribe, Black Retail - 46.00 euro
    Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front, Super tower (Without PSU) - 150.00 euro
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU - 350 euro
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM - 395.02 euro
    Logitech Media Keyboard Elite PS/2/USB - 29.00 euro
    Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse, USB, PS/2 - 47.95 euro

2x Acer 19" LCD AL1916As TCO03 Monitor, Silver/Black, 700:1, 8ms - 450.00

total cost - 3018 euro.
    (then again, thats just me :) )

• Advertisement

Thanks for that challengemaster.

I might just have to make a few changes since barely any of the stuff I want is even in stock with Komplett.

For example the p180 that I wanted ain't in stock. I really wanted that case too (I'm big on the minimalist style of it. No flashing LED light for me thanks :P )
    More importantly they still don't have the 8800GTX in stock. Can't even find it in stock on any of the reputable UK websites.

I think I will go for the Zalman CNPS9500AT Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler though. Reviews seem to be just that bit better.

I also have decided to get a new PSU instead of keeping the old one. I haven't decided on what yet though.

Another thing I've decided on is getting two 350gb Seagate Barracudas and setting them up in RAID 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Another thing I've decided on is getting two 350gb Seagate Barracudas and setting them up in RAID 0.
    make sure you have a good backup regime first.

Else, IMO, you should buy a proper RAID card and go RAID 5 with 3 drives.

Well, because €3000 I have been expecting for this computer has come a little later than expected and because Komplett are outta stock with one or two things I have once again decided to change my mind :p

Here's what I'm thinking:

ABIT AW9D-MAX, I975X, Socket-775,SATAII, Silent Otes,2xGbLAN,DDR2,ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Silver Floppy Drive Internal
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM x 2
    Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler, Socket 478/775/754/939/940
    CZ Gold PC6400 DDR2 2048MB Dual Pack, w/two matched 1024MB PC6400 XTC DIMMs
    Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse, USB, PS/2
    Logitech Media Keyboard Elite PS/2/USB
    XFX GeForce 7950GT 570M 512MB GDDR3, eXtreme, PCI-Express,HDCP,2xDVI,Heatpipe
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2b Software English OEM
    Akasa Eclipse-62, Black Exterior and Interior, Aluminium (Without PSU)

Now I know that I've taken out the 8800gtx but there's a good reason. I've read about a decent amount of people who have been having issues with these cards with whatever 3D software they are using. More than likely this is primarly due to how new these cards are. So I've decided to hold out for a while and go with the XFX GeForce 7950GT 570M 512MB GDDR3. It seems like a nice card and I also like the fact that it's cooled only with a heatsink.

I'm still gonna go with the Dell 24" widescreen which I think I can get on ebay for €800.

Anything I'm missing?

Advertisement