Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating mail archive from eircom.net

Options
  • 07-11-2006 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

I use an eircom net webmail account. I haven't been an eircom customer for some time but continued on using the account through the webmail interface as didn't want the hassle of changing email address and so forth. However now it seems I will be forced to change.

I recently upgraded IE to v7. The one with all the tabs and so forth.
    I also messed around on eircom.net webmail prefs to set the skin to indigo look and feel. I also installed google desktop on my PC. So a fair bit of messing.

Anyhow the upshot if this is that I can no longer use my webmail. I can login and it tells me how many new messages I have but when I click into inbox (or anywhere else for that matter) it tells me my session has expired and logs me out. This happens repeatedly. Initially I thought it was due to overloaded inbox and managed to telnet onto server and delete some new mails. However I now know the inbox is not overloaded and I can still not access any mails.

When I login from a different PC (in work) with IE6 it works OK so I think the problem is related to cookies or my local setup.

However at this stage I just want to migrate to a new mail account and have setup one with gmail which has much bigger quotas anyway.

But I have lots of old mails I want to keep on the eircom account - is there anyway to take my old emails with me? I tried using outlook to access the account but it will only download new messages not the ones already read and sitting on the server. How could I do this? As I would like to grab all my archived mail and then move onto the new gmail account.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks, Jimmylawman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Sorry I can't help you but I'd be interested to know this too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Download Mozilla Firefox

www.firefox.com

Free, opensource browser.

It should work.

Anything that's downloaded into the webmail system is gone from the eircom POP servers so you can't really do anything with them other than manually forward them to your new gmail acccount.

There is no way to setup automatic forwarding of new messages from your eircom account. Your best bet is to keep it open and gradually migrate over to gmail informing all of your regular contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > Nets/Comms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Unless you know someone who works at eircom.net, you're probably stuck with forwarding any mails you want to keep.

One saving grace of eircoms webmail is that it forwards mail as an attachment, so that you can drag and drop the saved message into a desktop mail client as a "clean" message in it's own right.

By the way, you can still use the eircom mail account even if you're no longer an eircom customer - to date they haven't forced anyone to migrate (that I'm aware of). It probably makes sense to create any new accounts on an "ISP neutral" service like gmail, but there's no need to stop using an eircom.net mail account just because you don't use eircom as your ISP. I know someone who got BT broadband 3 years ago, and is still using their eircom.net mail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Bring down the security settings in IE7 and aloow cookies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

...But I have lots of old mails I want to keep on the eircom account - is there anyway to take my old emails with me?
    You can do this now - see sig. for details!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

where sig? what sig?

Sorry - "signature"!

Or click here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Thanks..

looks good have you used it?..Is it safe?..would it still give yoiu mails that were allready downloaded as the original poster required.. Somehow picking up mail2.eircom.net or some such?

Yes, it gives you access to mails that are "stuck" on webmail by downloading the mailbox through webmail, and converting it into a format that can be imported into Outlook Express. It makes an exact copy of each mail, preserving all details/attachments etc.

Of course you should be wary of any sites that ask for your mail password etc., however no personal information is logged whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Gmail can pull down mails from a preexisting POP3 enabled account.
    Settings (top right of the web page, beside Help and Sign out)/ Accounts / Get mail from other accounts (Add another mail account)

They'll all be dated with the retrieval date, though with Gmail's Search capability it's not too great a hassle.

From reading the original post though, it sounds like the mails are already gone off the POP server. This is the case with a lot of older webmail setups, once you read them from the web interface they are pulled down to the webmail server and removed from the pop server.

Advertisement