Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Double glazing stop working?

Options
  • 07-11-2006 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hello Again,
    Fairly simple Question- Can double glazing stop working ie. not keep in the heat but still look fine. I am asking this because one window in the house is colder than the rest and a draft can be felt below it, and it is the only window to get condensation on it.
    Thanks, Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes they can 'stop' working but it usually is a manufactoring fault where it hasn't sealed properly.An obvious sign is condensation between the two panes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,410 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If they are argon (or similar) filled damage can cause the fill to leak reducing performance.
    If you can feel a draft below it there is probably a poor seal around the window. Check for gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think it is important here to diffrentiate between the glass unit and the window.

If the unit (i.e the two panes of glass) fails, you will see condensation between the panes , as stated above.

However, if you feel a draft, then it is most likely that the gasket (black rubber) that holds and seals the glass into the frame is missing/perished. These are simple to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen instances where a cold draft can be felt from a window because of cold bridging, for instance where a window fitted into an ope has not been insulated around properly. Sometimes only plaster fills the gap between the window frame and the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Thanks for the replies, I cannot see any gaps around the window also I dont know if it is argon filled as the are old. (Is there any way to find out if they are). The condensation is on the inside pane, not between the two panes. Also the summer just gone we got the heating system upgraded and a wall removed, and there was a lot of vibrations and cracks can be seen on the wall (the wall knocked was in the next room) and we thounght that the vibrations might of damaged it. Could this be the cause?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,410 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

if they are old they are probably air and not argon filled.

Advertisement