Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Briggs wins last second..

• 07-11-2006 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

BRIGGS LEAVES IT LATE FOR WIN
    Monday 6th November 2006
    Shannon Briggs produced a stunning finish to claim the WBO heavyweight title from Sergei Liakhovich.
    The American stopped the defending champion with one second remaining in the 12th round of the bout in Phoenix.

Liakhovich looked to be on course to retain his belt as he was comfortably ahead on all three judges' scorecards going into the final three minutes.

However, Briggs saved his best for last, putting the Belarusian on the floor twice in an amazing ending to an otherwise uneventful contest.

Liakhovich managed to get up from the first knockdown but was counted out the second time around just before the final bell was to go.

"My corner kept telling me I was losing the fight. If I didn't turn it around, they said I would lose," Briggs said afterwards.

"The Lord was looking down on me with one second left.

"My life has been full of ups and downs. I was homeless and now I am world heavyweight champion.

"Now I can go to my grave knowing I achieved something."

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Really illustrates the dearth of talent in the heavyweight division. Briggs has been around a long time...he gave Lewis a couple of frights a few years back but in healthy heavyweight division he'd never be a champion.

Advertisement