Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lebanon Government v Hezbollah

Options
  • 07-11-2006 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Hezbollah emboldened by thier 'success' against the IDF in the summer are turning to ousting the pro-Western/Anti-Syriaian Beirut government (without actually putting it in those terms of course), a stand-off seems likely as both sides talk of getting thier respective followers out on the street. If Hezzbollah succeed in thier aims how long till Israel take action?

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L07767045.htm

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mike65 wrote:
    Hezbollah emboldened by thier 'success' against the IDF in the summer are turning to ousting the pro-Western/Anti-Syriaian Beirut government (without actually putting it in those terms of course), a stand-off seems likely as both sides talk of getting thier respective followers out on the street. If Hezzbollah succeed in thier aims how long till Israel take action?

Mike.

well hamas lost in the masss demostration tug of war last time so makes you think they can win this time in beirut, and condi said of hams today better in government then on the streets, so the more hez are involved in normal politics the better she might say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

The irony is that Israel's latest jaunt into Lebanon made Hezbollah alot stronger.. which may cause Israel to take action again in the future.. which will cause Hezbollah to become even stronger.. eventually Hezbollah will take over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And so it begins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6169606.stm
    Pierre Gemayel, a leading anti-Syrian Lebanese minister and Maronite Christian leader, has been killed in the capital, Beirut.

Mr Gemayel, 34, was shot in his car in a Christian suburb and rushed to hospital, where he died.

His death comes amid a political crisis in Lebanon, following the resignation of six pro-Syrian cabinet members.

Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora said such killings would not intimidate the country.

"Assassinations will not terrorise us," he told a press conference. "We will not let the criminal killers control our fate."

Unless a small miracle should occure I fully expect civil war between the Shia and Christians within 6 months at which point all the external 'interested parties' will stick thier oars in and it'll be misery.

edit> Another shooting against another Anti-Syrian MP http://www.naharnet.com/domino/tn/NewsDesk.nsf/Lebanon/9EEBAD26FC4C34EEC225722D005C40F8?OpenDocument

If two more Cabinet members die the government will fall as it won't reach a quorum. Those under attack mainly belong to "March 14" (anti Syrian group) and chances are two more will be dead very quickly or the PM will instead disolve the government at which point Hizzbollah will make its move.

Mike.

"Assassinations will not terrorise us," he told a press conference. "We will not let the criminal killers control our fate."

I guess he regrets declaring hezbollah their main fighting force against israel, endorsing their attacks on Israel, and helping to block/delay the disarming process....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He realistically didnt have a lot of choice - not approving Hizbullah would have only highlighted the weakness of his government and the inability of the Lebanese armed forces to prevent Hizbullah/Iran/Syria using Lebannon as base for attacks on Israel.

Given the choice between effectively saying "down with the sort of thing" and demonstrating Hizbullahs ability to ignore him or publically approving Hizbullah - he chose the least worst option politically. The leader of a country cant be made seem powerless in his own country.

I dont think anyone in Lebanon wants civil war, not even Hizbullah - but in the midst of macho rhetoric and posturing mistakes can be made unless everyone pulls back - and Hizbullah are desperate to get into a position where they can veto any investigation into Syrias assassinations in Lebanon, or any laws calling for Hizbullahs disarmament.

I cant see too much room for compromise because the March 14 group are built around the reaction to those assassinations and none of them will have forgotten or forgiven Hizbullahs badly miscalculated adventures in Israel - which can and probably will errupt at any point in the future for so long as they hold the Israeli soldiers and attempt to rearm and regroup on the border.

• Advertisement

He realistically didnt have a lot of choice - not approving Hizbullah would have only highlighted the weakness of his government and the inability of the Lebanese armed forces to prevent Hizbullah/Iran/Syria using Lebannon as base for attacks on Israel.

Perhaps so, but I wonder do the people that posted in defense of Hezbollah here on boards, still believe in their actions, and their intentions regarding Lebannon. Frankly, since they're taking out those opposed to Syrian involvement in Lebanon, and the past history of Syria in lebanon it doesn't take too much thought to question their motives. But then I could be completely wrong, and Hezbollah aren't interested in furthering Syrian influence in Lebanon, and Syria only have Lebanon's best interests at heart.

Oh and the Lebanese government has been showing approval for Hezbollah actions ever since the Israeli withdrawal (original, not the recent one). Its bitten them in the ass, but its a situation they've placed themselves in, with or without Israel involvement in the recent conflict.

Perhaps so, but I wonder do the people that posted in defense of Hezbollah here on boards, still believe in their actions, and their intentions regarding Lebannon.

Id imagine their support of Hezbollah in the recent conflict would have lain more in the fact they were killing Israelis, standing up to "The Man" and fighting a proxy war against the US/Bush - none of which would indicate they give a damn what happens to Lebanon or whats Hezbollahs plans for it are. Killing Israelis is the best PR move any group of homosexual hating, chauvinistic, authoritarian, religious bigots can make to endear themselves to pseudo liberals. Maybe Bush should try it.

okies. that explains it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sand wrote:
    Id imagine their support of Hezbollah in the recent conflict would have lain more in the fact they were killing Israelis, standing up to "The Man" and fighting a proxy war against the US/Bush - none of which would indicate they give a damn what happens to Lebanon or whats Hezbollahs plans for it are. Killing Israelis is the best PR move any group of homosexual hating, chauvinistic, authoritarian, religious bigots can make to endear themselves to pseudo liberals. Maybe Bush should try it.
    Why dont you prove those labels you just attached to boards members. Otherwise I'll attribute 2 words to you sand: Arse and Elbow.
    You dont know one from the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Careful now. ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Why dont you prove those labels you just attached to boards members. Otherwise I'll attribute 2 words to you sand: Arse and Elbow.
    You dont know one from the other.

Lack of interest in a side issue? Even less in what words you attribute? Yeah, that'd explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

*yawn*
    You highlighted your poor debating skills by reverting to name calling and I merely stated fact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sand wrote:
    none of which would indicate they give a damn what happens to Lebanon

Thank God the Lebanese have their princely neighbours the Israelis and the great Spreader of Democracy to set them on the right path then eh?:D Always good for a bomb or two in the cause of Freedom those fellows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sand is actually making allot of sense. tallus I don't see where he has attachted any label, bare maybe "pseudo liberals" to any boards users. fly_agaric, I dont see where you pulled your quote from.

Advertisement