Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boots boots boots!

• 07-11-2006 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm looking for a new pair of boots for the winter, was going to buy a pair of uggs but they're sort of on the way out and ridiculously over-priced. I was thinking ones with a bit of a heel or wedge, so I can wear them during the day.
    Has anyone bought any nice boots lately they'd care to recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Schuh have some really nice boots at the moment.. I'm buying a bootiful [oh I craic me up] black pair tomorrow I can't wait:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Afternoon Show had a special on boots today, afaik its repeated earlyish tomorrow morning.

I'm so ashamed I knew that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

JustCoz wrote:
    was going to buy a pair of uggs

Ew, why?
    but they're sort of on the way out

I'm sorry to break this to the seemingly so-far-behind Irish women, but Ugg boots went out of fashion a good two years ago. Nobody wears them any more.

There are plenty of nice leather, knee high boots around at the moment. Try New Look or Topshop for some nice but affordable ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Like MrJoeSoap I too am so ashamed for the knowledge I possess!

My missus got these as part of an early Christmas present from the Buffalo Store in Wicklow Street. Not cheap at €185 but they look amazing.
    http://www.buffalo-shop.de/buffalo/urwfilter/catalog/do/action/ShowProductDetail/productId/13442/index.html

Barratts and River Island are always a good place to pick up something nice and not too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Any large Pennys store has a great range of boots, especially those with the wedge heel for everyday wear.

...and no they dont fall apart! I got a pair last winter and they are as good as new. Price between €20 -€30....cant go wrong!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ive always liked Korky's for boots, great selection and decently priced.

and even if ugg boots weren't going out of fashion or already gone out, or whatever, they're the most hideously ugly looking things ever, and i've no idea why ANYONE would pay such a ridiculous amount of money to look like they're wearing slippers all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Faith wrote:
    Ew, why?

I'm sorry to break this to the seemingly so-far-behind Irish women, but Ugg boots went out of fashion a good two years ago. Nobody wears them any more.

Tell that to Donnybrook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

They're so damn comfy though. Great for during the day when you want to feel like you're still in your pyjamas. I hate getting out of bed on cold winter mornings so it just makes it all the nicer to just be a total slob.

I haven't really seen many nice day boots anywhere this season. There are those ones with the ribbon tie sides and they come in like every colour. Hmm... May go buy myself a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Scraggs wrote:
    I'm buying a bootiful [oh I craic me up] black pair tomorrow I can't wait
    Lol! I'm easily amused!
    Faith wrote:
    Well the whole of UCD does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Uggs=Nah...
    Try new look for smeksai footwear

• Advertisement

Are there any with next to no heel and are soft and not furry?
    The only boots I ever got absolutely kill the soles of my feet very quickly...

bluewolf wrote:

Only in Paradise*, as far as I know :(.

*This is not a shop.

Ah, my everlasting quest to find comfortable footwear shall continue then...
    I found a really comfy pair of nice plain black ankleboots (with NO HEELS... I can't stand heels) that zipped up the side, in Arnotts once... wore them to death, haven't been able to find them or anything similar since then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

bluewolf wrote:

Try Camper on Wicklow Street. I got a gorgeous brown pair there a while ago, about a 1" heel and very comfortable. Look good too, very well cut. Given the price, they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I bought a pair of black suede boots in Dunness for e40. They have wedge heel and are the most comfortable things ever. I've been living in them since I got them :)

They don't go as far as the knee though (not sure what you call this).

Also, I find it impossible to get boots to fit my calves and these fit me perfectly.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

Can anyone recommend any place on the net or shops in Dublin to buy a nice pair of knee high black boots?
    My friend reccomended ebay in china. But i think they are all fakes.
    Chanel, Gucci, Dior etc. They look fantastic but shipping is expensive.

Its an early christmas pressie for my wife. Can anyone even recommend a pair they think are nice?

Appreciate any help at all.

Help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

new look have great affordable ones - my mate got a pair for 15 euro teh other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

Thanks for that info.
    I have a budget of about 100 to 150 for good quality leather boots.

http://www.dress-for-less.ie/tmpl/en/detail.tmpl?count_art_sel=3;art_id=93490;art_count=36;pg=84;cat=1;id=c-kMYrxGK7UcEySgxl3k8q;art_count_sel=3636%0036%0036;main_cat=1

Something along this line but shiny leather.

Do these look ridiculous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

People who want Uggs should move to Alaska where having to wear something resembling a large dead furry animal on your feet is needed to stave off frostbite. They were in for about a week about 2 years ago.

:eek: DON'T DO IT!!!:eek:

You in Dublin? Corkys in Grafton Street have a great selection at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Faith wrote:

They're not out of fashion. Loads of people still wear them, including me.
    They may not appear in fashion magazines, etc anymore, but I know that the Ugg stockists in Dublin still sell out really quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

They are COMPLETELY out of fashion its just that many people love them too much to give up!always hated them myself

Pythia wrote:
    They're not out of fashion. Loads of people still wear them, including me.
    They may not appear in fashion magazines, etc anymore, but I know that the Ugg stockists in Dublin still sell out really quickly.

You managed to completely miss my point. It was that Irish women haven't caught up to the rest of the world and realised that Uggs are so over. Your post was proof that I'm right.

Wear them if you want, but don't try and pretend that they're still cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Faith wrote:
    You managed to completely miss my point. It was that Irish women haven't caught up to the rest of the world and realised that Uggs are so over. Your post was proof that I'm right.

They're popular here so technically they're fashionable. Maybe not in the Vogue sense of the word but Irish girls don't necessarily have to go for what people are wearing abroad. I still think it makes far more sense to wear Uggs for college etc. than high heeled boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Faith wrote:

Why do we have to 'catch up with the rest of the world' or accept they're not cool. In the circles I move in, they are still very much the in thing.

The fashion industry moves very quickly. Some trends stick, after the fashionistas declare them 'over', and Uggs are one of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Uggs, another trend that only girls like. Further proof that girls dress more for other girls than for guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really can't stand Ugg boots... they look SO stupid and the real ones always belong to the snottiest bitches in the world.
    Tbh I'm just pissed off right now that my black Timberland boots finally fell apart this weekend! They were so comfy, and now I have to go boot-shopping again when I really don't want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ugg is short for ugly. They are not cool and they don't look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ugg is short for ugly. They are not cool and they don't look good.

QFT. Many an attractive girl has been marred by the short black skirt/thick black tights/Ugg combo. Nothing can make the potentially hot look uglier or squatter. And they do it voluntarily! A friend of mine has some Rocket Dog boots, and they look great - mainly because they fit properly and havent sloped off to one side like those "mutant sock" Ugg boots do, even though they're made of roughly the same outer material.

I hate not being able to get boots. If I can get them to fit my feet and zip closed at my calves, then I'm lucky. But I have yet to find a pair of boots that were more than ankle high that fit me properly. My calf starts too high for most boots (probably because they're made with women who're 5'6" in mind, as far as I can see) so I get a baggy bit of boot just under my calf, therefore I have to get boots with bigger calves, and they end up looking even more ridiculous than they potentially should.

Saw the cutest pair of shoes by Cinderella the other day, but I'd never wear them. Damn shoes. Sorry, boots... not going off topic or anything... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

lol its funny how people get so worked up about f&a;)

Faith and Office had some really nice boots the other day and actually in Faith a lot of them had money off which is always good. I bought a lovely pair of black riding boots that I cant bear to take off I love em so much:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really like those new boots that're really thick (it looks like padding!) and the laces are all around them, and they're really brightly coloured. Very cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Being getting a pair of Magnums for the last few years, from Army Bargins. Very snug, and also keeps my feet dry. Most importantly, tho, is that even in the hotest, dryest days, my feet can still breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well whether they are or are not fashionable, Uggs are hideous things! I have never once seen them looking good on someone, no matter who that person is.

Advertisement