Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny Town Centre

Options
  • 08-11-2006 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

What is the story with this development - I know that Elverys are opening soon. Anyone know of any other tenants.

Have to say whoever gave it plannning should be ashamed - it totally blocks out the cathedral now.:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is that the McGinley's place you're referring to? I wonder will Elverys close the shop they have beside Atlantic Homecare if they're opening in another unit.

As for planning in Letterkenny, it is a bit arseways alright. Though, on the flipside, theres the likes of Donegal Town and Ballybofey, where any notions of shopping centres get objected to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Or Sligo! I would be proud if I was from Letterkenny.
    The town is flying! Every fuppin week in sligo something else has been turned down by An bord pleanala/Local envious residents/The seven sisters.

Granted - growth must be controlled and blocking the view of your beautiful cathedral is not on but at least your town is heading in the right direction.
    I was a student their (apparently) from 99-01 and the difference between now and then is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The bones

byte wrote:
    Is that the McGinley's place you're referring to? I wonder will Elverys close the shop they have beside Atlantic Homecare if they're opening in another unit.

As for planning in Letterkenny, it is a bit arseways alright. Though, on the flipside, theres the likes of Donegal Town and Ballybofey, where any notions of shopping centres get objected to...

Yep - I'd imagine they'll close the atlantic store as the Mc Ginley's store is huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Can't wait for that new big shopping centre to open....
    am i the only person who prefers the old Dunnes to the new one?!

byte

Problem with the old Dunnes, was that the aisles were too narrow I thought. Though of course the opposite applies in the place, everything miles apart :)

I suppose both have their merits, and I'm told that both will remain open, which I thought was strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

I dunno if they're keeping both Elvery's open, can't see why as the old one is never extremely busy for a start and the new one is going to be ''the biggest sportstore in the north west'' (when i seen that headline I thought some big chain store liek JJB was coming, pity).

Yeah the new shopping centre is taking ages, it's original completion date was Autumn 2005.

They say the old Dunnes still has more people going to it than the new one has. Havn't been in either in ages TBH.

And does anyone know what else is goign in beside New Dunnes, Homebase etc.?

Beside Homebase a 30,000 sq foot department store (rumoured to be mc elhinneys) and alongside them 2 UK branded fashion operators or so I was told.

Across the road on the corner site under construction M+S are confirmed for an 18,000 sq foot unit, possibly Virgin Megastores for a unit beside it and in Grand Central espirit are taking their main retail unit.

Elverys aren't exactly exciting but they have put a fortune into their new store - they had a team of shop fitters from Austria (?) over all last week....

Bennet construction have yet another large retail warehouse scheme about to roll...........don't know who they'll be able to sign up

byte

I'd be strange for Marks & Spencers to open near Dunnes Stores, considering they seem to both be very similar shops.

yep but it's done and dusted....early next year....supervalue won't be too happy either

byte

I have to wonder has Letterkenny not reached saturation point with all the supermarkets? It's now got a large Tesco, 2 Dunnes Stores, a Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi, McGroartys Costcutter, Gormleys Centra, and of course all the smaller Spar/Centra/Gala type convenience stores. And soon, an M&S!

I suppose shoppers in LKY come from a wide catchment area, just didn't think there would be a market for so many!

• Advertisement

I doubt there is.......i bet supervalu are doing less business than they did before and I give it a year before Dunnes close the first store and make staff redundant....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Most of the above seems to add up, pity about Virgin I think HMV are much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

I haven't been to Letterkenny for over 20 years, last time I was there on route to Carrigart, it seemed little more than a bus stop and some shops. It sounds an exciting town now and something I so must see.

byte

Most of the above seems to add up, pity about Virgin I think HMV are much better.
    HMV would be better if they would have similar prices here to their UK shops. Mind you, Virgin are probably no better.

Advertisement