Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

• 10-03-2006 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I figure it's time for a new thread as the rumours have really started to come out now, after lots of teams got knocked out of the CL, and the title race is all but over, the papers have started to explore whats going to happen, so here are the news bits i got today :)
    United are keen on Carrick

Manchester United will reportedly bid for Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick should he reject a new contract at White Hart Lane.

According to the Daily Mirror, Spurs manager Martin Jol has re-opened contract talks with the England international, who is hopeful of making the World Cup squad this summer.

However, Carrick is currently earning just £15,000 per week which is some way short of the £50,000 he is believed to be demanding.

United are expected to make Spurs a big offer in the summer if Carrick rejects an improvement of his deal at White Hart Lane as they seek to mount a serious Premiership title bid next season.

Carrick would be a player I'd like to see, but I'd imagine Spurs will offer him a new contract.

Inter came out today and said Ballack was too expensive for them.
    This was great news as it means only about 6 clubs in the world can afford him,

Man Utd
    Juve
    AC Milan
    Chelsea
    Real Madrid
    Barca

With Barca and Milan not looking to improve their midfield, and Real Madrid no longer taken galactico's, our chances have improved.
    I still think we're last out of the remaining 3, but if the battle is financial, we can compete.

I'll link to the rest of the midfielders later.

McShane wants to be bought by Brighton for 200k. I can't wait to see Ferige laugh off that bid :) He'll be loaned out to a better championship side next season, it'll be cool :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I'd like to see Carrick come too. However, this talk of Steven Reid has me utterly frightened. That would be an appalling signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

anyone big.

As always, there'll be lots of talk. But there is too much debt there methinks. Ferguson 'apparently' has a deal for at least one central midfielder wrapped up.

But Ferguson and his brother are clowns in the transfer market, so who knows.

I'd say the money is on someone on the relative cheap, like Nolan from Bolton. Which I wouldn't mind.

Just once it isn't Stephen Reid ( as dirkey put it). That's not a happy thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergies good purcahses vastly vastly vastly outweigh his bad buys, two words: Cantona and Keane.
    Infact every single bad buy he has ever made are outweighed by those two purchases.

As always, there'll be lots of talk. But there is too much debt there methinks.

Good analysis, but completely unfound. The debt, as everybody at United has said, will have no effect on the transfer budget, and why the hell would it. It will only have an effect if United fail in the long run, and that hasn't happened yet. United had 30 million last summer, which wasn't spent, and 30 million this summer.

He has also twice stated that the people he wants to buy are on CL teams in the quarters, so I doubt its anyone english unless its somebody really good english. United had the chance to buy Carrick before and they didn't, so I'm not sure fergie will make that move.

United have 30-40 million to spent on this, and as its the only area of United's squad that requires significant investment(as forwards are ok, and defense has been invested in) I think quite a bit of money will be spent.
    United made 4 bids for midfielders in January, all of them turned down.
    2 people have already come out and said Unitd are after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

2/3 good midfielders are needed at least 1 very experienced and possibly a winger(Giggs is too old) to cover Ronaldo/Park.
    Carrick would be a good buy - would take 10M+ to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

PHB wrote:
    Fergies good purcahses vastly vastly vastly outweigh his bad buys, two words: Cantona and Keane.
    Infact every single bad buy he has ever made are outweighed by those two purchases.
    Overall, I agree that his good has outweighed his bad. Recently? As in, last 5 years? No way. He's made some significantly big mistakes, time and again. Not just size of fee wise, but hte amount of poor midfield players brought in has beggered belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

quad_red wrote:
    anyone big.

As always, there'll be lots of talk. But there is too much debt there methinks. Ferguson 'apparently' has a deal for at least one central midfielder wrapped up.

Well if you knew anythign the dept has nothing to do with the transfer budget, Utd where one of the biggest spenders in the Jan transfer window. This was also the most they have ever spent in the Jan transfer window from what I can remember since it was brought in.
    quad_red wrote:

Yeah Van Nist, Keane, Ferdinand, Rooney, Van Der Sar, Cantona etc are all brutal:rolleyes:
    quad_red wrote:
    I'd say the money is on someone on the relative cheap, like Nolan from Bolton. Which I wouldn't mind.

Just once it isn't Stephen Reid ( as dirkey put it). That's not a happy thought.

Nolan will prob move and I would like to see this becasue then O'Brien would move into the midfield for Bolton which will be good for Ireland. Still Nolan would be a replacement for Scholes more than Keane, he is more of an attacking midfielder. Utd would still need to replace Keane which is where Carrick would come in, this would be a great move for Utd but I cant see it happen. Carrick is a London lad and with Spurs doing well and him starting to break into the England team I could see him staying with Spurs.

What wrong with Reid? he has been great for Blackburn all season when playing on the right or in the centre. Also great for Ireland. I can't see Utd buying him but he is a quality player.

PHB wrote:

Eh? Man, Cantona and Keane were awesome. But Ferguson has faltered seriously in recent years. Particularly in mid field.

Also, you have to ask serious questions about the purchases in Jan. Vidic, fair enough, could turn out to be a good buy. Evra I have my reservations on. He is too much like Silvestre. Great going forward but the dicipline and concentration of a goldfish.

Ferguson has singularly failed to deal with an aging mid field. This is not something new. He has known this for years. Utd are staggeringly weak in midfield. Its nothing to do with 'all the midfielders we want are cup tied'. This has been coming for years! And now Utd are left in need of 4/5 midfielders in the next two years - Keane, neville, djemba (rubbish buy), miller, Beckham, Butt all off loaded.
    Scholes and Giggs are nearing the end.

And who is brought in? Park& Ronaldo.
    And thats it.

PHB wrote:
    The debt, as everybody at United has said, will have no effect on the transfer budget, and why the hell would it. It will only have an effect if United fail in the long run, and that hasn't happened yet. United had 30 million last summer, which wasn't spent, and 30 million this summer.

Heh. The board, of course, have to say they're going to spend money. But I think the debt is crippling. And when Ruud and Ronaldo are off loaded in the next two years I think it'll become pretty clear.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah Van Nist, Keane, Ferdinand, Rooney, Van Der Sar, Cantona etc are all brutal:rolleyes:

Football waits for no man. Rooney was hardly a goddamn coup! He is brilliance personified. Everyone knew this. And we paid top dollar.

Van der Sar comes at the vanguard of a whole line of failed keepers.

What the pattern has been in recent years is huge money on total dross and very worrying irregularities and agent fees in the transfer market....

Big Nelly wrote:
    What wrong with Reid? he has been great for Blackburn all season when playing on the right or in the centre. Also great for Ireland. I can't see Utd buying him but he is a quality player.

Don't get me wrong - Reid is a decent player. He just ain't top class. But he is better than anything Utd have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

this is from one united

Fergie Enters Torres Battle
    Sir Alex Ferguson has entered the scramble to sign Atletico Madrid's brilliant young striker Fernando Torres. The Manchester United boss has the full backing of the Glazers, who could provide him with up to £50million in the summer. Ferguson has been given the green light to move for the 21-year-old Spanish star, who is courted by Real Madrid and Chelsea and could cost up to £20m. Two world-class midfielders remain Ferguson's priority and he is closing in on Lyon's Mahamadou Diarra and River Plate's Javier Mascherano. There are also others on the list, including Argentinian Aldo Duscher.
    John Richardson, Daily Express

The Sunday Mirror links AC Milan with a swoop for Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who is apparently to become available at the end of the season.

The Dutchman is also a target for Inter Milan and Real Madrid, according to the Mail on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Gary Neville will feel like an international failure if England don't win this summer's World Cup, and Diego Forlan wants to show United what they are missing by scoring against Rangers in the Champions League.

According to the Daily Star, Sir Alex Ferguson is keeping tabs on Blackburn midfielder Steven Reid as a potential summer target. Liam Miller, an Irish international team-mate of Reid, will apparently snub a permanent move to Leeds in favour of battling for a berth a United.

United have also been linked with two more midfielders in the News of the World; Lille duo Mathieu Bodmer and Jean Makoun. The pair, 22 and 23 respectively, are both apparently keen on moves to Old Trafford.

The Sunday People claim that United may be interested in Wigan defender Pascal Chimbonda. The defender was allegedly told of the Reds' interest by Louis Saha before the Carling Cup Final.

anyone know much about f.torres?

county wrote:
    this is from one united

£50million?

ha ha ha. No way. Just newcastle style rubbish to placate the fans.
    county wrote:
    Liam Miller.... will apparently snub a permanent move to Leeds in favour of battling for a berth a United.

He needs to be shown the door, asap. Only reason he is staying at Utd is he wages. Yet another piece of rubbish on big money.
    county wrote:
    United have also been linked with two more midfielders in the News of the World; Lille duo Mathieu Bodmer and Jean Makoun. The pair, 22 and 23 respectively, are both apparently keen on moves to Old Trafford.
    That'd be a superb buy. Two gifted MIDFIELDERs to play in Utds midfield. Already gelled as a team.

No way though.

county wrote:
    The Sunday People claim that United may be interested in Wigan defender Pascal Chimbonda. The defender was allegedly told of the Reds' interest by Louis Saha before the Carling Cup Final.

Chimbonda is a very good defender but how many defenders does Utd need exactly?
    county wrote:
    anyone know much about f.torres?

Torres is very very good from what I've seen of him. But I've heard people who've seen him regularly say that they'd wonder how he'd adapt to the premiership.

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    According to the Daily Star, Sir Alex Ferguson is keeping tabs on Blackburn midfielder Steven Reid as a potential summer target. Liam Miller, an Irish international team-mate of Reid, will apparently snub a permanent move to Leeds in favour of battling for a berth a United.

Wouldnt believe the Miller story, he is more or less gone from what I can see, he was plastered all over the papers before Jan saying there was no chance of him staying at Leeds and he wanted to move back to Old Trafford to fight for his place, he thought this was his best chance to get into the first team with so many injurys etc. A week or so nothing he signed on for the rest of the season with Leeds. Think Fergie told him no point coming back becasue he wouldnt get into the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

well ballack is gone-chelsea have him it seems, i dont think we would have competed in terms of wage and overall package given his situation

mascherano could be good and diarra is good without doubt. the two lille players arnt bad but i wouldnt bet on them being huge successes.

i feel bad for miller, he seemed to have so much ability back in his celtic days but his chance appears to have gone.

stephen reid rumour amuses me. no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I can't really see Carrick leaving spurs, especially if they qualify for the champions league.

SAF had already said that one of the players he was looking at was still playing in the champions league. So excluding Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, that would leave the most likely targets as;

Gatusso
    Diarra
    Riquelme
    Ballack
    Graveson

As for Mascherano, from what I have seen of him(admittedly not that much) he's quality. Isn't there some link between the group that owns corinthians and Abramovich though? I suppose that if Chelsea are getting Ballack they'll hardly need another midfielder.

I rate Nolan, but the position he plays for Bolton is more in front of the midfield breaking forward as opposed to hanging back, it remains to be seen whether he could do the same in a two man midfield.

I'd love Torres to sign, only if Ruud is sold though. Otherwise he's surplus to requirements. We already have Rooney and Saha with Rossi hopefully getting more games as the season draws to a close. SAF's already having trouble fitting them all in.

Anyone who thinks United won't be spending big this summer is silly. Glazier did not buy united, spending all his personal money, to let United slip down and fail. He knows money is reqiured to rebuild the squad and it will be spent. I don't know why I'm even arguing this point, its so bloody obvious.

---

It's not unlike Fergie to make drastic drastic changes, like Ince, Beckham, Stam, so Van Nist may well be sold. If is, I'd imagine he'll go for about 15 million sterling because of his age. Torres could be bought I think for 25 million sterling, so it wouldn't be bad business.Although I doubt it, and to be honest, I hope Ruud stays, I think he is our best player ever to have played that i've seen, except Keane.
    That said, he deserves to go to a team and win a CL winners medal with Milan or someone, as he is too good not to. I almost feel guilty that he is at United at the moment.

As for midfield, there are so many names going around its nuts.
    Reid is not good enough for Man Utd, that's just silly. He looks good for Blackburn, but I rate Fletcher much much higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

The cuptied CL player has to be Diarra of lyon. There's no one else. Milan wont allow Gattuso to leave, Gravesen isnt good enough and is too old. I understand that ballack is class but he's a moany f*cker and i'm not all together sure he'll go to United if Chelsea are in the race for him. He'd suit Chelsea. ie he wants the his last big contract.
    I'd love to see them bring in Mascherano, i really think he could have a similar effect alonso has had on liverpool.

These 2 signings in the summer a vitally important for the club. They'll determine how we're gonna do in the next 4-5 years. I hope fergie gets them right and picks another Roy Keane to lead us on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ferguson has been unlucky in the transfer market.

Veron was and still is a fantastic player, just couldnt hack it in the Prem.

Forlan the same, now scoring freely in Spain.

Kleberson, WC winner and a player I couldnt wait to see in a red shirt, again couldnt hack it.

Djemba x 2 was hailed as a great talent from the French league, he won an award just before he arrived, best young player or something along the lines, turned out to be a total flop.

United will be spending this summer. Were not actually that bad off. We can focus on our midfield as opposed to having to buy in other area's. I reckon we will have about 20-30 mil to spend which is more than enough if its spent wisely.

We clearly need more than one player so I cant see a huge name coming in that will use up all our funds. Ballack on a free would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I wouldn't say no to a new striker but lets hope RVN has a good world cup and comes back near his best and it doesn't come to that.
    Veron was and still is a fantastic player
    I'm always saying that but my friends just laugh it off.He may not of lived up to his large price tag but I still feel Sir Alex's biggest mistake was to sell him on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just thought I'd save you months of agonising and fantasising, you won't be getting Gattuaso, no one wil. The only Midfeild player at Milan Man U could get at the moment is Vogel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Didn't milan say something about selling Gatusso only to quickly backtrack? It'd be the dream replacement for Keane unlikely as it no doubt is. Imo they screwed up last summer by not going for Van Bommel when he was on a free, he would've been fantastic in the premiership. Duscher and Diarra would both be good buys as would Carrick.

If they can get Torres they should snap him up straightaway. I love Ruud but Torres is sheer class and a lot younger too. If they can get 10+ for Ruud and spend 20ish on Torres that'd be a fair trade.

It's crazy to say there won't be money this summer. It's totally illogical. Why would they spend so much on the club and then guarantee failure by losing touch with the other big clubs? Don't make no kinda sense....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

its funny the way its lined up atm club wise.

Chelsea need a striker(s), but constantly buy midfielders.

Utd need a midfield, but constantly get defenders/attackers.

Arsenal probably need one in each area, centre back/centre mid, maybe winger/striker to support Henry and Liverpool are probably in the same boat needing a centre back/winger/scoring striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Lads to THB i dont see the big deal with Gattusso, yes he is a good player but to mention him in the same breathe as Roy Keane IMO is madness. I admire his courage on the field but technically I do not rate him at all. He would be an improvement to UTD midfield but thats not saying much.

Gattuso is an incredible player, with him and Pirlo arguably the best midfield in the world.
    I would love to have him at United, and technically he is as good as Roy Keane was.
    The only Midfeild player at Milan Man U could get at the moment is Vogel.

We tried to get him in January, we were rebuffed strongly.
    The Gattuso rumours continously pops up cause his wife is Scottish and she is allegedly upset in Italy. Since Gattuso really lieks Walter, United is seen as a choice, as it is also in the North

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan didn't want to sell him in january because they couldn't get thier target untill june and didn't want to be left short.
    In the summer anyone could ahve him for 4 million.

Thb I think UTD should go for Poluson on a free, perfect for the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i really hope we dont go for reid, he just aint good enough, riquelme is number 1 target by the looks of things, as regards torres, id say that if he was to leave madrid for the premiership, it would be to arsenal, maybe as a swap(+ cash) for reyes. the rudd suituation is a difficult one to assess, i reckon ferguson would have no issues with selling him,i would not like to see that happen though. i dont think those 2 lille lads would cut it however they would be a better option than fletcher,o shea and richardson in there. essentially, as everybody knows, united need at least 2 midfielders, id go with 3, 2 top class players and one squad player maybe. the obi mikel saga could influence the decision on who they buy also. ballack is still a possibility, that deal will run and run and until i see him holding up a shirt of another team, i will hope for him to sign,we need creativity and he has it in abundance. the defence should be ok, with heinze back, i think evra could move to the left wing next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I read in some tabloid paper a while back that united were looking into signing 3 midfielders this summer, with Steven Reid, Emre and Duscher the targets. I know that in there own way these are decent footballers, but honestly are these the names that will bring United back to the glory days? I think not. Nothing would make me happier to see a decent Irish work horse at United, and I do like Steven Reid but there is no way in hell that he has the quality to make United a force again. I wish he did. Emre, decent touch and vision, lacks heart and a bite in his play, as for Duscher he's probably the best of the lot.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy will probably move. I wouldnt blame him. Were on the decline big time. As to where I havent a clue, maybe Milan, Bayern or Real.

It will be an interesting summer at Old Trafford, and Im not hopeful that we'll be happy come August. A great bunch of defenders now at the club, but we've problems in the middle and even up front. Saha doesnt cut it, Ole may never come back and possibly Ruud is on his way out. Little Rossi is raw, and will prob end up in a position similar to Scholes. Giggsy is declining rapidly, Smith,Richardson and Darren Fletcher dont cut it. Lets hope we get some cash together, a bit of luck and a bit of class this summer. Fingers crossed

Trilla wrote:
    I read in some tabloid paper a while back that united were looking into signing 3 midfielders this summer, with Steven Reid, Emre and Duscher the targets. I know that in there own way these are decent footballers, but honestly are these the names that will bring United back to the glory days? I think not. Nothing would make me happier to see a decent Irish work horse at United, and I do like Steven Reid but there is no way in hell that he has the quality to make United a force again. I wish he did. Emre, decent touch and vision, lacks heart and a bite in his play, as for Duscher he's probably the best of the lot.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy will probably move. I wouldnt blame him. Were on the decline big time. As to where I havent a clue, maybe Milan, Bayern or Real.

It will be an interesting summer at Old Trafford, and Im not hopeful that we'll be happy come August. A great bunch of defenders now at the club, but we've problems in the middle and even up front. Saha doesnt cut it, Ole may never come back and possibly Ruud is on his way out. Little Rossi is raw, and will prob end up in a position similar to Scholes. Giggsy is declining rapidly, Smith,Richardson and Darren Fletcher dont cut it. Lets hope we get some cash together, a bit of luck and a bit of class this summer. Fingers crossed
    Problems up Front - so how do you figure that out? 56 goals only 2 less than Chelsea and with a game in hand and 11 more than the next best.

If anyone thinks whatsoever that Emre or Parker are people that Fergie is thinking of buying, I'd like to point out that yesterday Giggs and O'Shea dominated them. You don't think he'd notice that?

There are no players in the premiership that we could get that would be worth buying, as all of them playing for Chelsea, Liverpool, and one from Arsenal.

TheMonster wrote:
    Problems up Front - so how do you figure that out? 56 goals only 2 less than Chelsea and with a game in hand and 11 more than the next best.

how many in the Champions League? and there it is again "ah we're just behind Chelsea"... nearly never won the race, and as for the premiership and the CL, we were never in the race.

of course United have problems but they are not up front.

• Advertisement

fair enough, but can you honestly say that if Ruud were to go/get injured...have you confidence in Saha, and whoever Fergie intends to bring in to fill the gap? Rooney isnt an out and out striker and he cant be on song every game...Nobody has a crystal ball but the way the market is there is very few Strikers available to go to Old Trafford, unless Malcom Glazer wins the Euro millions and Real's Ronaldo likes stormy manchester weather and 60,000 grand a week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Trilla wrote:
    fair enough, but can you honestly say that if Ruud were to go/get injured...have you confidence in Saha, and whoever Fergie intends to bring in to fill the gap? Rooney isnt an out and out striker and he cant be on song every game...Nobody has a crystal ball but the way the market is there is very few Strikers available to go to Old Trafford, unless Malcom Glazer wins the Euro millions and Real's Ronaldo likes stormy manchester weather and 60,000 grand a week...

Don't forget about Rossi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

masterK wrote:
    Don't forget about Rossi.

Rossi is the future of United no matter what everyone says about his height etc even Van Nistelrooy has said it. United really need to buy a world class midfielder to replace Keane. Riquelme would be a fantastic signing but we need someone defence minded as there is enough attacking midfielders there already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

one from Arsenal.

Cesc??

jank wrote:
    Cesc??
    Would take him but there is no chance of selling him and even less of selling him to United. Would also take Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

jank wrote:
    Cesc??

Arsenal wouldn't sell him to United and there is no way he'd want to go to Old Trafford imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Gattuso and Mexes over the Summer would do the job for me. Show Ferdinand the door and I will buy a season ticket.

Gattuso won't leave Serie A I reckon as Italian players see it as a step down when anyone moves out of Italy. Also might cause him problems getting into the national team.

Mexes is great, needs a little bit of refinement but ten times the player Rio is even when he is playing FIFA. And don't forget, Rio had 8 months to play that while we paid him full wages and he's still ****e at it.*

*may not be true, but point still stands - Mexes > Rio

Up front, would be devestated to lose RVN, Saha and Rossi are not adequate replacements although for different reasons - Rossi is still learning although looks an amazing prospect - Saha will never be the player RVN is/was/can be again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Gattuso and Mexes over the Summer would do the job for me. Show Ferdinand the door and I will buy a season ticket.

Gattuso won't leave Serie A I reckon as Italian players see it as a step down when anyone moves out of Italy. Also might cause him problems getting into the national team.

Mexes is great, needs a little bit of refinement but ten times the player Rio is even when he is playing FIFA. And don't forget, Rio had 8 months to play that while we paid him full wages and he's still ****e at it.*

*may not be true, but point still stands - Mexes > Rio

Up front, would be devestated to lose RVN, Saha and Rossi are not adequate replacements although for different reasons - Rossi is still learning although looks an amazing prospect - Saha will never be the player RVN is/was/can be again.
    I think Gattuso is one of the more realistic world-class options. I think he's shown an interest before, certainly there were quotes attributed to him before last year's CL meeting, saying he would love to move to Old Trafford one day. Now, I don't know if they were 100% true, but there's all that talk about his wife being home-sick etc, so who knows. And if Milan are going to pursue Lyon's Diarra as reported around the place, then it could open a window I think.
    As for Mexes, would Roma let him go after all the trouble they got into for signing him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'd seriously love to see Gattuso in our jersey, has been one of my favourite players from his Rangers days. He is the only player I can see on the world scene capable of filling the void left by Keane a couple of years back (let's be honest).

Ballack is half the player Gattuso is. Gerrard isn't in the same class while still being a great player. Viera is close but not quite there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I read the other day that Tottenham were afte Van Nistelrooy for 7m or somethin outrageouus like that. i would have thought he would be worth double that.

fair enough, but can you honestly say that if Ruud were to go/get injured...have you confidence in Saha, and whoever Fergie intends to bring in to fill the gap? Rooney isnt an out and out striker and he cant be on song every game...Nobody has a crystal ball but the way the market is there is very few Strikers available to go to Old Trafford, unless Malcom Glazer wins the Euro millions and Real's Ronaldo likes stormy manchester weather and 60,000 grand a week..

The same thing can be said baout the following teams:

Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Barca
    Milan
    Juve
    Bayern

It's just silly to say a team is ****e without a certain player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

fair enough, but can you honestly say that if Ruud were to go/get injured...have you confidence in Saha, and whoever Fergie intends to bring in to fill the gap?

Ruud missed a fair amount of games last season and United did well without him , in fact it was only when he came back that they fell away from challenging Chelsea.

Ruud is Fantastic at putting the ball in the net (probably the best) but his other attributes appear to be on the decline and AS Fergie is trying to Build a new young team I would not be surprised to see Ruud move on but he is worth a lot more than 7 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Surely a player in decline is nt worth 7 million pounds. If he is not good enough for united then how can they reasonably expect big offers for him ?

Surely a player in decline is nt worth 7 million pounds. If he is not good enough for united then how can they reasonably expect big offers for him ?
    Decline: A falling off; a tendency to a worse state; diminution or decay; deterioration; also, the period when a thing is tending toward extinction or a less perfect state

His scoring record is very good as are his performances. The inside story is that he has a niggly injury and that Fergie is resting him. Ruud has been very vocal in the past

LMAO, how much where Liverpool going to pay for Owen last season and how much did Newcastle end up paying for him(althou over the top I admit) but Liverpool where talking around 10-12 million and Van Nist is twice the player Owen is or ever was.

He is also 10 times better than "God" as you call him. Wonder what name Liverpool would give a Van Nist if they had him if they call Fowler "God"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Ruud 7million?? are you's trying to be funny
    he has 4 years left in him and he is always in or around the top scorer in Europe and the Premiership every year,United will not let him go anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

7 million is a laughable price for Ruud, i dont think he has been playing as well as he has in the past, but he is still the top scorer in the premiership and will easily get you 20 goals a season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Aww nelly, it must be hard for you mate to not respond but you should try it sometime, it may give your boardsie image a well needed boost. I psed a question to Muppet ( a Man United fan) who suggested that Ruud was in decline. You really do need to get that potato field off your shoulder (too big to be merely a chip).

I have no idea what they would call him if he came to anfield as a liverpool player, this seems to be your stock reply to anything that anybody on boards says though, and something another poster (who I will not name because it upsets him and you a bit) always complain about others doing. It is well recognised that liverpool need a striker but TBH has nothing to do with this thread, I know that you may have trouble with this concept but the title of the thread may have given away what it was about and I missed the bit in the title that said uniteds strikers are better than liverpools blah blah blah.

The Muppet stated that Van Nist was in decline, I simply posed a question to him about how much people should be expected to pay for a player in decline. Perhaps people should read the thread before hopping on bashing "some liverpool fan" for slagging off the Mighty Ruud when it was a Man U fan that initially suggested it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

RVN is not in decline. He is a poacher and is the best in the world at what he does. Liverpool, Chelsea, AC Milan, Real Madrid would easily pay what United paid for him from PSV. If mourinho thought he could have RVN in the summer he'd pay more again. There are very few better than RVN in the world and he's been in superb form all year. I just hope Ferguson is not considering cashing in on him for the sake of a new midfield.
    As far as his game goes. He has become a more intelligent player at United. He doesnt run around like a bull chasing down defenders but i dont care as long as he's bagging 20+ goals a year. He's a cute player who has the knack of moving into scoring positions and most of the time he is clinical in his finishing. That is something you cannot teach a player. The fee would have to be over 15million for ferguson to consider it. Peter Crouch cost 7million and he's not fit to lace Ruud's boots.

As far as the midfield goes I'd love to see Diarra & Mascherano bought in the summer but these 2 will cost the guts of 30milion. Either Fergie has 30 million to spend or else he's gonna offload RVN. Who knows what goes on in his stubborn old head.

I don't think Ruud is in decline.
    I think he has developed his build up play immensly, and you can see that from watching him this year. In turn I think his finishing has suffered and he is certainly not back to full strength in the finishing aspect.

Ruud has at least 3 more years on him of top flight football. I'd love for it to be at United, but if he is willing to be sold, the transfer value as we all know is not wholey based upon the players skill level:

It tends to be based on a combo of things:
    Ability
    Desire of club to sell - i.e. like leeds who needed to cut their wage bills
    Desire of club to buy - i.e. like united who need midfielders
    Other clubs who also want him - i.e. a transfer battle
    Marketing value

United have no need to sell really, they won't sell him for 7 mill to just get th emoney. His marketing value is really not an issue.

So we have his ability and the transfer battle that will largely determine the price.
    He is top scorer in the premiership, joint 2nd top scorer in Europe. He is 29!
    Has at least 4 years left at the top level, especially considering the model professional that he is.
    And I can think of about 5 top name clubs who have said in the past, and will say in the future they would love to buy him.
    Also, Chelsea!

What I find absolutely hilarious is that in one week he is linked to Milan and Barca, then he is linked to Spurs for 7 million.
    It's what I call a newcastle story, a paper selling a paper based on a story that they hope a certain group of fans will buy because it's their dream.

p.s.

Allegedly Ruud has been offered a new 4 year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

thats a big old read.

I have my own views on united for the year to come.

I think Carrick is a great player and is the nearest thing the premiership offers to a roy keane replacement, he is a solid defensive midfielder and his distribution is excellent. Carrick just has to look what happend to Wayne Rooney, England star. I feel Carrick could be tempted by playing for an illustrious club, and a move to united could only boaster his england call imo.

I have long pondered and waited for the day Torres moved to the premiership, i always felt those to get him would be liverpool or Arsenal. But untied to get him, amazing. Many of you champo manager heads recognise the name, but i watch himn regurly, im a big la liga follower. He is an very solid striker, a good goalscorer,he has great pace and a great set of feet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement